Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla broke my Autopilot -> Don't UPDATE!

Will Tesla fix this issue?

• Yes

Votes: 24 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 57.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla knows that AP isn't good enough yet to be hands free, and so they are making sure you're not driving it hands free. Don't know you consider this a bug.

Well, now they seem to know that. In October 2015, they seemed to be sure that it was hands free. AP1 cars become less capable with each update. I guess that’s one way to make the last 3 years of regression and recovery seem like progress.

You are most probably right. Also, IMHO, using a "one hand on the wheel" is a trick in the same league as Buddy, Orange, Bottle (let's call it the BOB trick, for quickness!). Trying to perform a last second avoidance turn with only one hand is a sure fail with unpredictable consequences.

I completely agree with you. I normally drive with both hands on the wheels, but when I put on AP, I drive 1 handed so the system won't nag me. It is a "trick", but I do it. I think it is more dangerous when the warning started flashing and I have to try to stop it by moving the wheel unnecessarily.

What? there was a software update? when?

yeah, not even going to vote on this because:

1) There is nothing to fix, or,
2) It is fixed.

It is becoming apparent that the biggest mistake Tesla ever made was to allow people to drive without their hands on the steering wheel.

It is becoming apparent that the biggest mistake Tesla ever made was to allow people to drive without their hands on the steering wheel.

Their mistake was very simple. They internally thought they could make the car do something amazing 95% of the time, and use a human as the back-up. They also thought they could apply this mindset to the existing auto industry where a very different mindset was already established. Unfortunately, despite all the big talk, the reality of liability and tort law has forced them back to the established mindset. In short, they were naive.

Kinda like making planning schedules where everything goes perfectly...or installing machinery and tooling that hasn't completed run-off checks because "we can just do everything perfectly the first time" They are painfully ignorant of what they don't know. There are times when that is a blessing, and other times when it kills people.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy and croman
This x 100.

I usually drive with one hand on the wheel with autopilot and have started to drive with two hands on the wheel. But this new update doesn't recognize when I'm holding on with both hands. It seriously requires more effort now, which I believe is more dangerous.

Others have had the same problem, including me. Try this:

Possible "fix" for the nags

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Well, now they seem to know that. In October 2015, they seemed to be sure that it was hands free. AP1 cars become less capable with each update. I guess that’s one way to make the last 3 years of regression and recovery seem like progress.

I don't disagree with that. I wouldn't call it progress so much as realization. My only point is that they way it behaves now I don't consider to be a bug given its current limitations.

OMG... ANOTHER THREAD???

LOL... This has gotten comical at this point... There's like what? 10 threads about this now???

As I keep saying, I'm on 2018.21.9 and have used AP1 on roughly 500-1000 miles so far and not ONE nag... Zero... Zilch...

Come on people...

Jeff
Well aren’t you special.
But for the rest of us poor SOB’s that get the nag while our hands are on the wheel, things are not as rosey.

I don't disagree with that. I wouldn't call it progress so much as realization. My only point is that they way it behaves now I don't consider to be a bug given its current limitations.
Unfortunately their late realization is what led them to using the steering wheel to attempt to measure driver attention, being the cheapest and easiest workaround as opposed to retrofitting with a head/eye tracking system like the one Cadillac uses, which led to threads like this one.

Unfortunately their late realization is what led them to using the steering wheel to attempt to measure driver attention, being the cheapest and easiest workaround as opposed to retrofitting with a head/eye tracking system like the one Cadillac uses, which led to threads like this one.
Give it time, drivers already circumvent the Cadilac system by putting their phones or tablets on the dash and the system thinks their watching the road.