Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible "fix" for the nags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
There has been so much snarkiness from the "you aren't holding the wheel right" "you aren't exerting enough force on the wheel” “you OBVIOUSLY AREN’T EVEN HOLDING THE WHEEL” crowd that those of us with an actual issue are being treated like liars or limp wristed light fingered Muppets holding our steering wheel.

To those that are actually having an issue of holding the steering wheel and having nags and it taking more force / torque to satisfy and cancel the nag than if you were actually driving the car yourself !!!! There may be a fix.

I have had AP1 / AP2 cars since 2015 and have never experienced the issue until this update. After reading and responding and even creating a few threads on this topic I did run across a hidden pearl that has worked wonders to fix this problem in my car. A poster wrote “Reboot both the ICU and MCU with the brake pedal pressed. After both have rebooted, on the MCU select power off and let the car sit for ~5 minutes without touching anything”

Well I am here to report that, at least for me, this has fixed my problem. I can keep my hands on the wheel as I always have and haven’t gotten a nag in 3 commutes each way to my office without one nag. (160 miles) I purposefully removed my hands from the wheel on several straight stretches until the “hold wheel” message popped up and was able to very gently touch the wheel and cancel the nag. Up until I had done the above steps I would literally have to go right up to the point of disengaging AP to stop the nags.

It is a real problem for some of us, fixed now for me, that is so disheartening to be bashed by the community as being at fault because we don’t want to hold the steering wheel or don’t know HOW to hold the steering wheel.

If you are one of the unfortunate souls that is having nags despite doing things correctly try the reboot / shutdown instructions and let us know if it fixes yours too.

I do appreciate all the feedback from the community and I am especially sympathetic to those that are actually doing things correctly and as directed by Tesla meanwhile being treated as idiots from many others.

@boonedocks -- glad to hear that your issues are resolved. I don't like the concept of a 25 second nag and what it implies in terms of the safety of the system. I, for one, don't buy into the fact its making anyone safer. I think the opposite is going on. But being unable to clear nags is an even bigger issue. I don't seem to have your issue, but I do hate the concept of turning the wheel, even slightly, when nothing is needed (just to clear nags).

I also think holding the wheel with one hand vs. two at the ready, is a bad trade-off but we probably don't need to revisit that discussion.

I no longer have to "turn the wheel even slightly" just rest my hand on the lower left 1/3 quadrant which in itself provides enough resistance to keep the nag at bay. As for the "hands free driving" hopefully that'll be in the soon to be released FSD features in V9, at least for expressway / freeway driving...wishful thinking.

Last edited:
+1 on the unsolicited, unjustified snarkiness that a few self-appointed teacher-preacher-parent-judges feel obliged to inflict upon the rest of us.

In general, TMC is an incredibly well-informed, super-supportive community. However, if I as an educator ever treated my students with the level of judgmental, lecturing condescension that these forum patrollers unleash, I'd be promptly (and justifiably) fired.

Let them go preach to someone who has asked for it, not to those of us who come here to exchange information and insights! :)

Last edited: