Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla called last night to see if they could help with my M3 order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they also emailed.

Hi David,

My name is Sales Rep and I work with our Model 3 customer support team. I am reaching out to newly invited reservation holders to offer my assistance in case there was anything outstanding related to your reservation with which I could help. If there is anything I can do to be of assistance please feel free to contact me at (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Thanks so much and again, please don’t hesitate to reach out if there’s anything I can do to help!

Best Wishes,

redacted | Inside Sales Advisor
45500 Fremont Blvd. | Fremont, CA 94538

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the same call and email today as well. One of my two reservations has been open for weeks, but I haven’t ordered yet. While I’ve been in and driven a few Model ≡s already, the primary driver for the first reservation hasn’t even seen one in person yet and we won’t be ordering until that happens. The other aspect is she really is fine with standard range.

The email is OK but I wish Tesla would clearly advertise all the Model 3 variants they are going to produce. The Model 3 comes in 5 versions:
  • Model 3 SR: $35,000 (Price confirmed)
  • Model 3 LR: $44,000 (Price confirmed)
  • Model 3 SRD: $39,500 (Price estimated) Tesla's delivery estimator shows this will be an option. See this screenshot.
  • Model 3 LRD: $48,500 (Price estimated)
  • Model 3 Performance: $74,500 (Price estimated) Elon tweeted about this here, here and here.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
Hi Everyone, I bought 2 MS, one in nov 2017 and the other in Dec 2017. I placed a reservation for 2 M3 (as allowed 1 per Tesla owned) not expecting to get the invite for atleast 12 months. 2 days ago I got the email from Tesla saying both my reservations are ready to design. Totally caught by surprise. I was waiting to order the dual motor version with the long range for both my reservations. Now with the possibility of the federal tax credit getting phased out soon, very soon, should I just go ahead and order (dual would be great but isn't the deal beaker) or risk losing the credit and see if the spring 2018 date for the dual motor version will hold true? I have tried to follow different websites that give a best guess estimate as to when the credit will start getting phased out, it' anyones guess though really.
Saw that the OP had not designed yet for weeks after getting the invitation. What is your thought process behind not doing anything yet? I had placed the order for the M3 for my son who will get his drivers permit in june 2018 and license later in the year, as I wanted the safest car for him. The other reservation will be offered to any family friend first if they want to take it, as I really placed the orders not expecting the car till much later.
I guess I am inclining towads placing 1 order with what is currently offered and get my federal tax credit before it goes away.
Thoughts?
Thanks everyone.
Confused,
Amit

If they don't have the configuration you want I'd wait. There will be time once they hit 200M. And then you need to start figuring out what you can get. Per the IRS: The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States

• Informative
Reactions: Amit519
Hi Everyone, I bought 2 MS, one in nov 2017 and the other in Dec 2017. I placed a reservation for 2 M3 (as allowed 1 per Tesla owned) not expecting to get the invite for atleast 12 months. 2 days ago I got the email from Tesla saying both my reservations are ready to design. Totally caught by surprise. I was waiting to order the dual motor version with the long range for both my reservations. Now with the possibility of the federal tax credit getting phased out soon, very soon, should I just go ahead and order (dual would be great but isn't the deal beaker) or risk losing the credit and see if the spring 2018 date for the dual motor version will hold true? I have tried to follow different websites that give a best guess estimate as to when the credit will start getting phased out, it' anyones guess though really.
Saw that the OP had not designed yet for weeks after getting the invitation. What is your thought process behind not doing anything yet? I had placed the order for the M3 for my son who will get his drivers permit in june 2018 and license later in the year, as I wanted the safest car for him. The other reservation will be offered to any family friend first if they want to take it, as I really placed the orders not expecting the car till much later.
I guess I am inclining towads placing 1 order with what is currently offered and get my federal tax credit before it goes away.
Thoughts?
Thanks everyone.
Confused,
Amit
There's no rush. The tax credit will be around for at least 15 to 18 months. If you want the entire $7500, you have at least 4 to 6 months.

Hi Catman20009,
Makes sense to wait for what I want but not reassured when Tesla says 3-6weeks for delivery, 3 to 6 weeks can make a big tax credit difference if the later range crosses over to the next phased out quarter. What if I wait for the Dual motor and with all the "bottleneck" issues, Tesla doesn't end up sticking to the promised timeline?. A poll here I guess, are a lot of reservation holders waiting for the dual motor version or happy to get what they get when their number comes up to order?
Amit
Screenshot_20180217-120320.jpg

First day D reservation here too. I've also got several emails since last December but they are not pushy so every time I just logged on to reconfirm my choice of D. Maybe they're expecting more production runs before opening the floodgates, or about to test if there will be one.

The email is OK but I wish Tesla would clearly advertise all the Model 3 variants they are going to produce. The Model 3 comes in 5 versions:
  • Model 3 SR: $35,000 (Price confirmed)
  • Model 3 LR: $44,000 (Price confirmed)
  • Model 3 SRD: $39,500 (Price estimated) Tesla's delivery estimator shows this will be an option. See this screenshot.
  • Model 3 LRD: $48,500 (Price estimated)
  • Model 3 Performance: $74,500 (Price estimated) Elon tweeted about this here, here and here.

They could probably charge more for the Model 3 Performance version. Likely about $90-100K... Especially at the beginning.

Reactions: McHoffa