Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cancelled reservation that I bought from a person

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla cancelled the reservation that i bought from a person who did not had the registration in the account. That person gave me the account and I added my registration details. This got flagged somehow and the reservation was cancelled with no notice. I called tesla and they mentioned that the email/name/number were different from when the reservation was made vs what's there on the registration.

The person that i bought from was very nice and he refunded the money. Just an fyi for folks buying the reservation.

Glad to hear your seller made it right.

But I’ve got to side with Tesla here as there are a lot of people scalping Teslas at the moment due to the supply / demand situation
I agree with you
People are getting those reservations and hope to see them to make profit, especially after Tesla raises prices.

I agree with you
People are getting those reservations and hope to see them to make profit, especially after Tesla raises prices.
It actually puts more money in Tesla’s pocket as well. Those that were not “serious” about actually following through with their orders will cancel. (Finances, long wait, whatever the reason is)
Most likely the price is the higher new price now and the new buyer will be paying that.
Either way, clearing out these older reservations at the old prices is good for Teslas bottom line.

I don’t see anything wrong with it as long as sellers don’t get greedy and start marking it up or wanting to pocket all the difference.

I purchased my car this way. Tesla helped us do it. Seller and I split the difference.

But they might be cracking down. I can understand Tesla not wanting it. Mainly for forecasting demand accurately. If people start buying just for the purpose of selling that messes up there numbers.

This is only being cracked down on now due to new prices being through the roof compared to past. Regular market …Tesla couldn’t care less and never did for a decade. Feel bad for the OP but Tesla does view it as a scam.
I don’t think Tesla cares w.r.t. price. However between long waits and high prices it’s become more common lately. I think it has to do with reputation (Tesla price is not negotiated), fairness and forecasting. If was just price, they could have kept the reservation and reset the price.

Reactions: Corndart
I don’t think Tesla cares w.r.t. price. However between long waits and high prices it’s become more common lately. I think it has to do with reputation (Tesla price is not negotiated), fairness and forecasting. If was just price, they could have kept the reservation and reset the price.
That's actually an equitable way to allow the original reservation holder (ORH) to transfer. However whether or not the ORH charged a fee is basically unknowable by Tesla, and doesn't prevent any scalping for when a very stupid highly motivated buyer wants to skip the line and just get their car. So just keeping the price only solves half the problem IMO.

Last edited:
That's actually an equitable way to allow the original reservation holder (ORH) to transfer. However whether or not the ORH charged a fee is basically unknowable by Tesla, and doesn't prevent any scalping for when a very stupid highly motivated buyer wants to skip the line and just get their car. So you've only solved half the problem IMO.
My reason wasn't to skip the line. I wanted to get the high trade in before it dropped by the time my order came due.
If I couldn't get the high trade, I wasn't gonna buy anything.
Initially my order was due July (ordered December).
Someone offered almost exactly the same car with EDD due December.
My order moved up to April 20, the reservation I bought slipped to Mid March (slipped into a Refresh 2.0 ;) ).
My trade-in price held. All good. I got my full Trade, I got Refresh 2.0, Reservation Seller made $2500, I saved $2500 and Tesla made another sale with out a hitch. Seller of reservation ordered 3 cars in September (planning to only buy 2). They decided to go with two Model YP that came in earlier.

My reason wasn't to skip the line. I wanted to get the high trade in before it dropped by the time my order came due.
If I couldn't get the high trade, I wasn't gonna buy anything.
Initially my order was due July (ordered December).
Someone offered almost exactly the same car with EDD due December.
My order moved up to April 20, the reservation I bought slipped to Mid March (slipped into a Refresh 2.0 ;) ).
My trade-in price held. All good. I got my full Trade, I got Refresh 2.0, Reservation Seller made $2500, I saved $2500 and Tesla made another sale with out a hitch. Seller of reservation ordered 3 cars in September (planning to only buy 2). They decided to go with two Model YP that came in earlier.
Your reason 100% involved skipping the line. Rationalizing due to the trade in doesn't make it anything different.

Your reason 100% involved skipping the line. Rationalizing due to the trade in doesn't make it anything different.
It does to me. Turns out it was gonna probably work out the same or even better if I waited for my order because the same trade was $5500 higher on my order. I bought insurance. But I didn't want to mess with a good thing and already committed to the reservation seller and VIN was assigned. He was absolutely great to work with. We both agreed we'd probably never do it again though. Too many things can go wrong. Like rejecting the car, what if car needs repairs.

I was thinking of selling my reservation I still have, which is now $7,000 cheaper. But regardless of Tesla's crack down I probably wouldn't have any way, too much of a headache. Red/Blk Model S LR, 19" with FSD, EDD May 20.

Oh, I added FSD to speed up both orders with the intention of removing it. But I ended up keeping it. Again, another win for all parties concerned.

I don't blame Tesla for cracking down. I saw an opportunity and took it.

Do you think Tesla is any more HONEST. Favoring recent higher priced orders over lower priced early orders. Or screwing early FSD Adopters? I know who I'm dealing with.

Reactions: theocguy
It doesn’t matter really. It’s a free market economy and in the age of kijji, Craigslist etc, taking over someone’s car order is hardly an offence.

Tesla is crafty in it’s own right prioritizing higher priced orders while continuously pushing older cheaper ones to the point of loading off reservation holders into cancelling…which is the ultimate goal.

If someone requires the car earlier and is willing to risk a possible cancellation or benefit from taking the risk..so what? Its another driver in an EV vs ice.

It doesn’t matter really. It’s a free market economy and in the age of kijji, Craigslist etc, taking over someone’s car order is hardly an offence.

Tesla is crafty in it’s own right prioritizing higher priced orders while continuously pushing older cheaper ones to the point of loading off reservation holders into cancelling…which is the ultimate goal.

If someone requires the car earlier and is willing to risk a possible cancellation or benefit from taking the risk..so what? Its another driver in an EV vs ice.
Never said it was any type of "offense". Just stating the facts, and chuckling at the intellectual dishonesty of not being able to call it what it is.

"Another in an EV vs ice" doesn't fit this scenario either - mswlogo traded up from one Tesla to another.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Tesla cancelled the reservation that i bought from a person who did not had the registration in the account. That person gave me the account and I added my registration details. This got flagged somehow and the reservation was cancelled with no notice. I called tesla and they mentioned that the email/name/number were different from when the reservation was made vs what's there on the registration.

The person that i bought from was very nice and he refunded the money. Just an fyi for folks buying the reservation.
When did they cancel? As you were about to take delivery?

It would make sense for Tesla to cancel an order Flip.

It has been their policy for a long time that the proper way to terminate an order was to simply cancel.

This way Tesla can either offer that vehicle to the next person in line, or put it into their inventory and sell it at the new higher price.

Of course, buyers would like to arbitrage their order and make a profit off it without taking delivery, but it is up to the manufacturer if they wish to encourage this behavior.