Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cancels lifetime supercharging for used inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that used inventory Model S vehicles on Tesla’s website no longer include free lifetime supercharging. 2015 and 2016 vehicles that were originally sold with FSC were advertised with FSC as recently as July 21, but no longer as of today July 22.
Has anyone seen any confirmation/comment fromTesla?

• Informative
Reactions: geowhjr
This is interesting. I took delivery on a MS 85D last month from their online CPO listings. Presumably I will continue to have free supercharging. I found an article on this at Electrek.

Once you bought your car, you are sealed in with the deal. It cannot be taken away unless you can't prove that you bought it before the deal was changed.

Ideally, you should have some documentation just in case Tesla makes a mistake and starts charging you.

For example a picture of Tesla website displaying selling your car with free supercharging.

It should be documented in your paperwork when you bought your car.

It should also be documented on your Tesla Account website too but it's dynamic so when it's gone from your web page account, you can show Telsa the picture prior to the disappearance so they can put it back.

Reactions: Ruffles and geowhjr
Once you bought your car, you are sealed in with the deal. It cannot be taken away unless you can't prove that you bought it before the deal was changed.

Ideally, you should have some documentation just in case Tesla makes a mistake and starts charging you.

For example a picture of Tesla website displaying selling your car with free supercharging.

It should be documented in your paperwork when you bought your car.

It should also be documented on your Tesla Account website too but it's dynamic so when it's gone from your web page account, you can show Telsa the picture prior to the disappearance so they can put it back.

That's excellent advice and I did print that out. Good thing I did because I could find no documentation for the CPO 4/50k shown on the online listing in the sales agreement and they didn't have any such documentation when I picked up the car.

...I could find no documentation for the CPO 4/50k shown on the online listing in the sales agreement and they didn't have any such documentation when I picked up the car.

It's a good idea to go to your Tesla account page and send a request for your CPO 4/50k documentation as promised.

Usually, it's updated to your Tesla account page and someone must have forgotten to do it.

Theres a good reason to buy from a private party.
Tesla can still remove the free supercharging as it's registered to the original owner not the car, they just haven't done so up till now.
I'll be very surprised if that isn't rectified within 6-12 months and everyone who bought used privately loses the lifetime supercharging they thought they would have.

Tesla can still remove the free supercharging as it's registered to the original owner not the car, they just haven't done so up till now.
I'll be very surprised if that isn't rectified within 6-12 months and everyone who bought used privately loses the lifetime supercharging they thought they would have.

That is incorrect. Transferable free unlimited supercharging ended January 15, 2017. If the car wasn't ordered by then (or an inventory car built by then), any free unlimited supercharging ended when ownership ends. For those cars, free supercharging was attached to the car, not the original owner, and was advertised by Tesla as such. Only for cars built/ordered after that date was it attached to the owner and not the car.

What Tesla has done is taken cars that have been turned in (trade-in, lease returns) that would ordinarily have free supercharging and turned that feature off. That's within their rights as they own the car - we can debate whether that is a smart tactic or not. But we definitely won't see them turning off free supercharging for any privately owned/sold cars that meet the pre-January 15, 2017 timeframe.

Well, I'm no fan of the low-balling either. These cars last 100's of thousands of miles. Too many people trying to steal them using traditional devaluation, which doesn't apply to these cars.
A car lasting hundreds of thousands of miles is not unique to Teslas or even EVs. Tesla cars are still cars in the end. They don't get exempted from typical depreciation methods. Supply/demand/age/condition will dictate the price just like any other car.

I understand the point you are trying to make but that is just not reality today.

A car lasting hundreds of thousands of miles is not unique to Teslas or even EVs. Tesla cars are still cars in the end. They don't get exempted from typical depreciation methods. Supply/demand/age/condition will dictate the price just like any other car.

I understand the point you are trying to make but that is just not reality today.
They are still cars, but I expect the depreciation will be at a slower rate, rather than “typical depreciation methods”.

My Ford Ranger went several hundred thousand kilometers, but was on its third engine when it went to the junk yard. My 2004 Prius had several hundred thousand kilometres when it was totaled. But over those 10 years it had not been improved. The 10 year depreciation resulted in it having very little value, even though it probably would have gone several hundred thousand more kilometres.

My 2009 B4000 has very little resale value despite having less than 90,000 km. It has not deteriorated much but it has been “left behind” because it has not improved over the years.

My one month old Tesla has already had minor software improvement.

Yes, it will depreciate over time, but I expect the depreciation to be based on a new paradigm of depreciation rather than the “typical depreciation method”.

Reactions: SSonnentag
They are still cars, but I expect the depreciation will be at a slower rate, rather than “typical depreciation methods”.

My Ford Ranger went several hundred thousand kilometers, but was on its third engine when it went to the junk yard. My 2004 Prius had several hundred thousand kilometres when it was totaled. But over those 10 years it had not been improved. The 10 year depreciation resulted in it having very little value, even though it probably would have gone several hundred thousand more kilometres.

My 2009 B4000 has very little resale value despite having less than 90,000 km. It has not deteriorated much but it has been “left behind” because it has not improved over the years.

My one month old Tesla has already had minor software improvement.

Yes, it will depreciate over time, but I expect the depreciation to be based on a new paradigm of depreciation rather than the “typical depreciation method”.

But that's just it. The "new paradigm" of depreciation does not exist outside the world of what Tesla owners believe it should be. Tesla is a small drop in a giant ocean right now and until there are a lot more of their cars on the road we can't expect there to be a huge shift in the way the depreciation works. The Model S was holding it's value extremely well because there was nothing to compare it against in the market. The Model 3 debuted and the used S prices have dropped ~20-30k in around a 2 year period. When I was shopping around prior to the 3 hitting the streets, I couldn't even see any CPO S85Ds for under $90k. Now you can find them in the mid-high $60k range.

From my perspective, Tesla owners believe their cars should be valued one way while the markets dictate another. The fact that software updates are a thing and can add features/improve the car as it ages are not reflected in a meaningful way the car depreciates. One day sure but right now I don't see it.

The original lifetime OF THE CAR supercharging has to transfer to the new owner in a private sale because the original owners have it in writing that it will. To remove that perk would devalue the vehicle and Tesla would quickly get into hot water. If the car is traded in to Tesla, then and only then is Tesla free to devalue the vehicle.

But that's just it. The "new paradigm" of depreciation does not exist outside the world of what Tesla owners believe it should be. Tesla is a small drop in a giant ocean right now and until there are a lot more of their cars on the road we can't expect there to be a huge shift in the way the depreciation works. The Model S was holding it's value extremely well because there was nothing to compare it against in the market. The Model 3 debuted and the used S prices have dropped ~20-30k in around a 2 year period. When I was shopping around prior to the 3 hitting the streets, I couldn't even see any CPO S85Ds for under $90k. Now you can find them in the mid-high $60k range.

From my perspective, Tesla owners believe their cars should be valued one way while the markets dictate another. The fact that software updates are a thing and can add features/improve the car as it ages are not reflected in a meaningful way the car depreciates. One day sure but right now I don't see it.

The closest comparison for a deprecation model is the iPhone. Back to the iPhone 4 days, this was the hot product that was in high demand and selling a used iPhone 4 back when it was fairly new still commanded high prices. However, since then, the phones in general are now viewed as interchangeable/commodities and depreciate accordingly. Used iPhones do still command a premium over other brands but do not hold their value as they used to.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Well, I'm no fan of the low-balling either. These cars last 100's of thousands of miles. Too many people trying to steal them using traditional devaluation, which doesn't apply to these cars.
You might be correct if Tesla was standing behind them with a warranty that lasted for 300k bumper to bumper. Once the comprehensive warranty expires, an owner is at risk for some significant repair costs. The battery and motors aren’t the only expensive repairs/replacements for these cars. The resale market knows this too.

The original lifetime OF THE CAR supercharging has to transfer to the new owner in a private sale because the original owners have it in writing that it will. To remove that perk would devalue the vehicle and Tesla would quickly get into hot water. If the car is traded in to Tesla, then and only then is Tesla free to devalue the vehicle.
Precisely. When you buy something, you’re also buying the contracts on it.

Reactions: NoMoGas