Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car battery to power my house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No answers, only question!

If I buy an inverter, can I use the power in my Model S to power my house at night?

If yes...how do you get the power from car through inverter, to house use?

Seems like a good wheeze!

No, you cannot (easily).
Yes, you can, if you bypass the safety systems, tap into the HV lines and find a 300-400V DC input inverter. (And void your warranty)

Reactions: .jg.
You can use a 12V inverter connect to the battery post in the frunk. The DC-DC converter is rated 2.5kw. You can power the lights, TV, computers, maybe even the fridge, but not the AC etc. For latest models the battery post is directly connected to the 12 battery and connected to the DC-DC converter through a 250A fuse.

You can use a 12V inverter connect to the battery post in the frunk. The DC-DC converter is rated 2.5kw. You can power the lights, TV, computers, maybe even the fridge, but not the AC etc. For latest models the battery post is directly connected to the 12 battery and connected to the DC-DC converter through a 250A fuse.
Dc-Dc or DC to AC?
Where do you connect to the house?

Dc-Dc or DC to AC?
Where do you connect to the house?
Tesla has a DC-DC converter converts 400V DC to 12V to charge the 12V battery and supply power for 12V system. You need to buy a 12V power inverter to convert 12V DC to 110V or 220 AC. Here is a good video:

You can buy a bigger one (1500w or 2000w), but I would be cautious to draw too much power from Telsa. You can connect the AC output from the power inverter to one of your wall outlets in the garage to power your house. Make sure you disconnect the grid first.

You can connect the AC output from the power inverter to one of your wall outlets in the garage to power your house. Make sure you disconnect the grid first.

Don't suggest suicide cords or setups that can backfeed the grid. A 12V inverter is not going to be able to start/ run household appliances. Back feeding though a 15 or 20 amp circuit is asking for trouble like only partly feed the 240 loads.

Need to make sure not to turn on large appliances or ACs, etc. just the lights (use LED), internet, TVs and computers, etc. which should not be more than 1kw, so 15 or 20 amp should be enough.If you need to run fridge, you need to turn off other ones to make sure total power is within the limit. Also the 20amp circuit breaker can protect the inverter/Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: dcp123
Because it could be a back up or act as a power wall when not in use.
Kind of shame you can't.

It is explicitly stated somewhere in Tesla docs to not do this.

Using the 12V to power an inverter is only a good solution in an emergency. Trying to do this as a power wall or any other application is a very bad idea and hugely inefficient. There is no way to run an inverter off the pack for many reasons so don't go there. A MUCH better and safer option is to buy a Honda inverter generator and possibly a propane conversion kit or a Power Wall if you are looking for the power shift benefits. This is a dead horse that gets beaten to a pulp on every EV forum for years and ends up with the same result.

Using the 12V to power an inverter is only a good solution in an emergency. Trying to do this as a power wall or any other application is a very bad idea and hugely inefficient. There is no way to run an inverter off the pack for many reasons so don't go there. A MUCH better and safer option is to buy a Honda inverter generator and possibly a propane conversion kit or a Power Wall if you are looking for the power shift benefits. This is a dead horse that gets beaten to a pulp on every EV forum for years and ends up with the same result.

Didn't I say Tesla say's that it's a no no?

But technically, there is no reason it couldn't have been designed to have the hooks to do so (which are not there to do it efficiently or safely now). What the cost benefit would be I'm not sure. I think it could make better usage of the batteries. Some people have Powerwalls for backup. Some have Tesla's for Weekend/Summer cars. So that battery resource could fulfill more purpose in it's life span. Albeit not as perfectly as a dedicated powerwall. It could also expand capacity to an existing powerwall. It's just the same big battery that's in a Powerwall.

Are you saying the cells are organized differently in a Powerwall battery? Optimized for efficient 240VAC conversion?

12V inverter would be useless.