Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Changed FSD Beta Suspension Threshold - Only For Some Users/vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe wording on my 2020 X was 3 Autopilot disengagements. Believe used 1 yesterday going 77 mph. FSD slowly passing semi in left lane. As got by truck tires it started throwing rocks and mud as we hit a couple small bumps. I manual accelerated with FSD still on to keep the junk from hitting the window. Went over 80 and got put in Auto pilot Timeout for the rest of the trip. Strike 1.

Not going to whine but I will. This is a problem FSD is not equiped to handle(yet?). As a Driver, I saw the dirt with my eyes and heard the junk hitting the car with my ears. So I took evasive action. Add that to the training I guess. (but please fricking fit Phantom Braking first!)

This may not be an FSD counted strike if it happened while you were under the NoA mode. Check your AP menu to see if you really have a strike accrued.

Reactions: Phlier
Got my 1st ever disengagement this morning and does not make any sense. I had a vehicle encroaching into my lane from the right. I was not able to change lanes to the left as there was a vehicle on my left rear and I could not slow down as there was a car tailgaiting me. I accelerated and move about 6 inches over the left lane line to clear traffic. I triggered the red take control immediately despite I was actively accelerating and steering the car. Without my intervention, FSD may have caused an issue, What I do not understand is why I received the warning as I was in full control of both steering and speed control. Dejavau of my hard breaking demerit I got when I made a hard stop to keep AP from running a red light.
I had almost the exact same situation the other day, and it was my only time I've been put in AP jail after > 2 years of owning my Model 3. On the highway initially doing 77 mph with AP active, I floored it to get clear of a semi that started to change into my lane, but I almost immediately got the red steering wheel for going > 80 mph. I'd done this in several situations in the past without issue in my radar-equipped Model 3, but in the moment I forgot about the limit lowering from 90 mph to 80 mph with VO.

Side note - It's fantastic that we have the acceleration to be able to consider "go faster now" as an additional escape maneuver that most cars can't use, which gives us more choices to safely resolve dangerous situations. The downside of this is we can get used to it.... I was on a trip in a rental ICE car a few months back, and had a similar situation, and I instinctively put the gas pedal on the floor, but almost nothing happened. I only avoided wrecking because luckily the car to my left was paying attention and anticipated my swerving into their lane, which was my only option by the time my brain realized this car wasn't going faster after I put the gas pedal on the floor.

If my reading of the way Tesla phrased things is right, that should not count to your "three strikes", it was the car realizing it needed you to take over in an emergency, not shutting off FSD because you were not paying attention. Would be interesting if you checked in the "count down" on the AP screen and see if it has gone down (its under the FSD toggle on models 3/Y)?
I checked AP screen and do not see any count or reference to a count. Not sure if that means it was not counted.

Where is this strike count supposed to appear? What does "AP screen" mean? The phone app? Where? The Autopilot settings screen in the car? Where, please?
The Autopilot setting screen in the car. This post from robrich has a screenshot.

In my car it doesn't show any count there, and I haven't had any strikeouts with FSD, which is consistent with drtimhill's post above suggesting that no count shown means your count is 0.

Reactions: Phlier and nvx1977
I have gotten put in jail twice already for the same reason. I set my speed to 75 and then had to accelerate to get around a car and move out of the left lane. As soon as I hit 80 MPH it goes bezerk and puts you in jail. It doesn't take much to go 5 MPH faster. So no I have to remember to disengage AP first.

I have gotten put in jail twice already for the same reason. I set my speed to 75 and then had to accelerate to get around a car and move out of the left lane. As soon as I hit 80 MPH it goes bezerk and puts you in jail. It doesn't take much to go 5 MPH faster. So no I have to remember to disengage AP first.

this particular type of ap jail won't penalize you for FSD revocation. but still annoying.

• Informative
Pardon my ignorance, but has Tesla issued any clarification on this yet?

I've looked around a bit, but haven't found anything...

Edit: From what I gather, guys have narrowed it down to possibly being specific to refresh vehicles only getting two strikes, but I'm left wondering if it happens to be Safety Score related? Maybe the guys that had 100 or 99 when they got FSD Beta get three strikes, and the guys that came on with a 98 only get two?

Just wondering out loud, as it would really seem odd that they would pigeon hole certain vehicles.

Pardon my ignorance, but has Tesla issued any clarification on this yet?

I've looked around a bit, but haven't found anything...

Edit: From what I gather, guys have narrowed it down to possibly being specific to refresh vehicles only getting two strikes, but I'm left wondering if it happens to be Safety Score related? Maybe the guys that had 100 or 99 when they got FSD Beta get three strikes, and the guys that came on with a 98 only get two?

Just wondering out loud, as it would really seem odd that they would pigeon hole certain vehicles.
Could also be that SS is STILL monitoring in the background AFTER downloading and using FSD BETA and a lower SS drives the lower “Strike Tolerance”?

Ski

Could your other strikes occurred more than 30 days ago? That seems to be the time limit for the safety score.
No, my first strike was Nov 20th, and this was while still on 10.4 (was before the release of 10.5 ever happened).

After this message, I had the message in the FSD setting screen that one more strike out would cause removal of the FSD feature. However, now that message is no longer showing up.
Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 1.36.46 PM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Bull
I have one strike myself, I am also wondering when and if the count gets reset. It was definitely tracking my eyeballs, even when I would look at the main display for more than a few seconds it would give me an audible alert, and after a few of those, that's when the first strike occurred.

Well, let me revise that. The message is still there but apparently only shows up when you are NOT in Autopilot. Why the message would change depending on Autopilot status I have no idea.

View attachment 738231View attachment 738232

Looks like the time to mess with the menus is not while driving in autopilot. looks like this will generate strikes and also not give you the information you want.

Reactions: Bull and EVNow