Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is not a car with Tesla vision simply because this video is not coming Frederic m a car in USA and Tesla vision is only USA for the moment this video coming from Canada or europe

I am not sure what that has do with anything. Even cars with radar still use camera vision and detecting traffic lights is an edge case for camera vision. Perhaps the new Tesla Vision would solve this issue. But the reason I posted it, was not to argue that Tesla Vision is bad. I was merely showing an edge case that camera vision needs to be able to solve.

Reactions: Huskyf
I am not sure what that has do with anything. Even cars with radar still use camera vision and detecting traffic lights is an edge case for camera vision. Perhaps the new Tesla Vision would solve this issue. But the reason I posted it, was not to argue that Tesla Vision is bad. I was merely showing an edge case that camera vision needs to be able to solve.
Ok for that

Reactions: diplomat33
^^ That looks suspiciously like an UPDATE BUTTON .... !

18.2 installed on my car this morning. No mention of interior cam being used. I imagine there would need to be a big wall of GDPR-compliant text and an OK box before it is activated here, so maybe this is a US only feature at the moment.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Of course it's
cool / awesome / sick / fire / bada** / OMG / dope
to watch the car spin the wheel and drive itself around.

But we all know this kind of feeling passes very quickly.

A top-end 2010 cell phone was incredible, but in 2011, - what no OLED, no LTE, only 8GB? Yawn...

As a boy in 1969, I watched the first moon landing. An aspiration of humanity for millenia, an absolutely stunning achievement. By 1972, people (not me) were already bored. Been there done that, what else is on tonight?

I'm very excited to see Tesla Vision FSD, impressive yet imperfect as it may be. But very quickly, the "Watch it Drive!" novelty will yield to "what can I trust it will actually do for me?" Soon, serious competition will arrive, Tesla will have to address the Who's Responsible issue and also, I think, the whole RoboTaxi value proposition will come under intense pressure.

I still think "good" fsd will be delightful for a long time, as there are so many more variables and opportunities for nuance in real-world driving.
Agree. Let me clarify - I share your enthusiasm, very much so. I'm awaiting an MY with a $10k FSD add-on. It's not only exciting to watch it work, it's increasingly important to me as I age, that it works well.

I'm commenting about the reality of technology development, competition, public perception and market value.

Reactions: powertoold
I'm excited to see what, if any, improvements v9 brings to regular AP and FSD. At this point it's been so hyped up for so long that I feel like Musk is setting it up for failure but I'm holding out hope for a pleasant surprise. I'm hoping v9 actually comes out sometime this year and improves the general AP performance and makes it more trustworthy. While great L4/L5 FSD would be great at some point in the future, I just want a really solid AP/ADAS system that doesn't do "dumb" things. I think that is possible for Tesla and the other players in the ADAS/FSD game with current tech. I don't mind driving personally, I just want to be able to enjoy it more and reduce some of the cognitive burden with a good, trustworthy ADAS implementation.

I'm excited to see what, if any, improvements v9 brings to regular AP and FSD. At this point it's been so hyped up for so long that I feel like Musk is setting it up for failure but I'm holding out hope for a pleasant surprise. I'm hoping v9 actually comes out sometime this year and improves the general AP performance and makes it more trustworthy. While great L4/L5 FSD would be great at some point in the future, I just want a really solid AP/ADAS system that doesn't do "dumb" things. I think that is possible for Tesla and the other players in the ADAS/FSD game with current tech. I don't mind driving personally, I just want to be able to enjoy it more and reduce some of the cognitive burden with a good, trustworthy ADAS implementation.
I agree with this. Personally I wish Tesla would pivot away from FSD as now described and optimize their self-driving efforts to making the best ADAS they can while keeping the driver the focus (and in the loop at all times). It is becoming more and more clear that the 'FSD' many of you have been sold probably never will exist, at least for any of the current or near future generations of Tesla cars. It really feels like we are in an annoying period where they are getting kinda desperate and are willing to compromise all of our driving experiences (forced high beams even just for cruise control???) to desperately try and get FSD to work. I hope they call it soon, so we can get back progress.

I'm excited to see what, if any, improvements v9 brings to regular AP and FSD.
While great L4/L5 FSD would be great at some point in the future, I just want a really solid AP/ADAS system that doesn't do "dumb" things.
I agree with this. Personally I wish Tesla would pivot away from FSD as now described and optimize their self-driving efforts to making the best ADAS they can while keeping the driver the focus (and in the loop at all times). It is becoming more and more clear that the 'FSD' many of you have been sold probably never will exist, at least for any of the current or near future generations of Tesla cars. It really feels like we are in an annoying period where they are getting kinda desperate and are willing to compromise all of our driving experiences (forced high beams even just for cruise control???) to desperately try and get FSD to work. I hope they call it soon, so we can get back progress.
Agreed, that's how I'm starting to see it too. It's not a bad thing to say that Level 3+ is just not a realistic goal at this point. Concentrate on making the drivers assistance systems into good quality tools, release them all from beta at a solid Level 2 status. There are so many areas they can better use their engineers than pursuing autonomous driving. They're just getting spread so thin otherwise, and other manufacturers are starting to give real competition to Tesla.

I think they should just tighten up all their existing software, or they risk real trouble once ADAS standards are released. Just acquire/license an FSD system from someone else at some point in the future. Tesla isn't going to release a Level 4 system in the near future anyway, they should stop pretending that their Level 2 system is autonomous.

Unless V9 is really amazing. We'll see soon.

Last edited:
That’s more clear???
Assuming you're referring to this:
sensor-type-png.670192

I put in the "???" to try to indicate this is a poor way to show the data. To be explicit, the circular version of the visualization is also bad, and the ordering and "connecting" of the attributes doesn't make sense either, which I was hoping to be more obvious in this linear version where having arbitrary values on the X axis that don't progress (e.g., 1, 2, 3) is bad chart design.

But as others have pointed out, ignoring the visualization and looking at the data it contains, it is useful as a reference. What Tesla is trying to do with "camera" -> "Tesla Vision" is to push everything to the max value, so notably depth and velocity information should approach "5" in the chart ideally for all cameras around the vehicle with radar-less Model 3/Ys and FSD v9. And similarly the weather and day/night "disadvantages" are likely to be improved with later iterations of Tesla Vision but not as high of a priority yet and can rely on some crutches like requiring auto-wipers and auto-high-beam for now.

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
Assuming you're referring to this:
sensor-type-png.670192

I put in the "???" to try to indicate this is a poor way to show the data. To be explicit, the circular version of the visualization is also bad, and the ordering and "connecting" of the attributes doesn't make sense either, which I was hoping to be more obvious in this linear version where having arbitrary values on the X axis that don't progress (e.g., 1, 2, 3) is bad chart design.

But as others have pointed out, ignoring the visualization and looking at the data it contains, it is useful as a reference. What Tesla is trying to do with "camera" -> "Tesla Vision" is to push everything to the max value, so notably depth and velocity information should approach "5" in the chart ideally for all cameras around the vehicle with radar-less Model 3/Ys and FSD v9. And similarly the weather and day/night "disadvantages" are likely to be improved with later iterations of Tesla Vision but not as high of a priority yet and can rely on some crutches like requiring auto-wipers and auto-high-beam for now.
so Tesla can push depth / velocity to a 5 - regardless of technical limitations of cameras? interesting.

also curious to see how weather independence and day/night independence is solved to reach a 5 with cameras only ... radar reaches farther at night and in bad weather than cameras ever will.

using vision + radar and focus the efforts on sensor fusion seems a lot more sustainable versus desperately trying to give cameras the night vision/ weather independence they likely will never fully achieve (high beams at night and absurd slowing down when it gets rainy/ poor visibility isn't a solution)

Reactions: Platini and BitJam