TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MurrayJimW, Sep 4, 2018.

1. captjoemcd

captjoemcd Member

Awesome.

Totally orthogonal - 17kW Solar?! *sugar* man that's a lot of solar. I'm in central california with 8 tons of AC and two EVs, and we're just about net zero on the true-up with 10kW. What, do you have a 10k sq ft house or something?

2. Evee

Evee Member

This is actually split up between 2 smaller houses ahah I wish

• Like x 1
  3. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Well thank Allah they spared us those spoilers. :p

• Like x 1
  4. Evee

Evee Member

1. just specifically asked for the mcu2 upgrade as an "other" then "something else" I see you can now pick it as a service option "infotainment upgrade"
    2. about 2 weeks same for wait time for the appointment itself
    3. basically 1.5 days
    4. zero totally awesome all around

• Like x 2
  5. Evee

Evee Member

I also noticed the energy saver option is gone totally.

6. StoicKiwi

StoicKiwi Member

After a little delay, I got confirmation that the parts have arrived at the SC for my appointment and I'm scheduled for 08-06-20.
    I'll report back when it's done but it make take a bit as I'm scheduled to have the Front Drive Unit Replaced at the same time.

• Like x 2
  7. ChrML

ChrML Member

What's wrong with Tesla owners? Under what other circumstances is it normal to go to the store and get refund for a previous purchase, because the store reduced the price?

Tesla has never refunded before, and will not refund this time either.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. croman

croman Active Member

It's routine in the US to give refunds for price changes during return periods. Tesla doesn't really have returns but it also builds goodwill with your customer not to jack with prices.

Finally, Tesla has done refunds in the past for price changes. Early model 3P buyers got 5k refunds for performance package becoming standard.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Active Member

Thanks! Great info!

Can you post your upgrade invoice from Tesla so we can see what parts were included, parts prices, etc. This will be helpful for TMC members whose Tesla Service Center says the "MCU2 upgrade isn't available yet".

10. Evee

Evee Member

B0B44B77-9854-4AAA-B5E8-BAA40D7593F0.png

also noticed the camera view is indeed darker at night. Probably can be adjusted with software.

• Like x 3
  11. maximizese

maximizese Member

It is also not uncommon for auto manufacturers to reimburse repair/replacement costs retroactively of components directly stated in a proceeding recall. For instance, Toyota had a recall on the hybrid brake pump/actuator and allowed for reimbursements for those who had the part replaced before the recall was issued.

• Helpful x 1
  12. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Active Member

#5732 BrokerDon, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Maybe we need MUCH brighter LED back up lights. I just installed some 1,700 lumen back up LEDs in our Winnebago View (Mercedes Sprinter) RV and they make a HUGE difference when backing up!

I know the LED license plate bulbs I bought from Abstract Ocean brightened up the rear... while using less energy and running cooler too. Plus they freshen up the rear since LEDs look more modern than the lame halogen license plate bulbs our 2015 P85D+ had originally.

LED License Plate Bulb Kit
    https://www.abstractocean.com/led-license-plate-bulb-kit/

Get $10 off your first purchase of $50 or more atAbstract Ocean with this link: Accessorize your Tesla!

• Informative x 1
  13. cybergates

cybergates Member

mine has a lot of scratches (too many too be new) in the right sun angle and I too swear there must be a film on there but I cannot find any edge to peel any film. Any thoughts on how to do this or to know for sure if a film is on IC2?

14. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

MCU2 doesn't have have it, or should I say it doesn't not have it, i.e. it doesn't have a low power standby mode that the MCU1 does, so the only choice is to shut it down completely when not in use and boot it back up when needed. I don't know if it's because Intel chip they chose doesn't have such a sleep mode (obviously Intel based laptops do have sleep mode, so it exists in at least some Intel chips), or because Tesla just chose not to implement the software for it, or because the Intel sleep mode was too power hungry anyways.

Another way to put it, MCU2 has energy saving mode, but no way to disable it, hence no more setting.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Yeah it's significantly darker. I hope it can be improved via software since I'd consider that a regression from a user experience perspective.

• Like x 2
  16. blodg1

blodg1 Member

I poked it with a dental pick under the edge of the bezel. I figured that if I was wrong, I would just scratch it where it wouldn't be noticed. When I picked at it I got one of those satisfying bubbles that expanded across the screen to the point I could pull it off as pictured.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  17. dragondagger

dragondagger New Member

Hey Evee, mind screenshotting the graphite color retrofit?
    I might be interested in this during my MCU2 upgrade.

Did you provide the parts or was it purchased from the service center during your service?

Thanks!

18. Evee

Evee Member

309BCED4-6842-4918-BBD5-130CAE24360A.jpeg

The sc provided the parts :)

19. dragondagger

dragondagger New Member

Looks great, mind showing the second page of your invoice with the part numbers?

Thanks!

• Like x 1
  20. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Active Member