TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Could Be Poised For Big Win: FTC To Hear Pros & Cons Of Franchise Laws

Discussion in 'News' started by Lanny, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

2. pthill65

pthill65 Member

3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Looks like a good opportunity for Tesla owners to be there and voice their opinions. I for one am still 100% in favor of the direct model that Tesla has.

Thanks for posting!

4. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Interestingly Elio has already won direct sales exemptions in many states, but only for "auto-cycles"

5. cpa

cpa Member

I hope this panel discussion will be more than just a patronizing move on behalf of the FTC. I wonder if this is preliminary to having informal discussions with members of Congress to contemplate legislation in the 2017-18 session.

Or could it be to begin to consider how closely these dealer franchise laws are to monopolies/cartels that really do not benefit a free market and preparatory to filing antitrust actions?

6. jgs

jgs Member

"Big win" seems a bit hyperbolic since as the article points out, the FTC doesn't have any legislative power. Still, not a bad sign. I do wish events like this would pay attention to states that prevent Tesla from building service centers as well, instead of focusing exclusively on sales. (Is Michigan the only state that does this?) As I see it, preventing Tesla from servicing cars is even more obviously anti-consumer and anti-competitive then preventing them from selling cars is.

7. green1

green1 Active Member

Didn't the FTC already put out a paper supporting Tesla's case on this? (non-binding on the states obviously)

8. jgs

jgs Member

Indeed they did.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I believe members of the FTC put out opinion pieces about direct auto sales. However, as I recall, nothing official.

10. reddy

reddy Member

Thanks for the link. If the numbering system is correct, it appears that I had comment #22. That's not very many, we need everyone to take the time to comment.

11. MikeL

MikeL some guy

I'm on it. If past is prologue, the arguments in favor of the dealership model will literally be laugh lines. They add cost without value, period. ML

12. reddy

reddy Member

I focused on the fact that Texas has an EV incentive. Texas forces me to buy my EV out of state. And that disqualifies me for the EV incentive since it is limited to purchases from Texas auto dealers.

That goes beyond the anti-competitive protection for Texas auto dealers, it causes actual damage to Texas taxpayers.

I also used Dell as a great example of what can happen when manufacturers sell directly to consumers vs buying at a store like Computer Land. We have better choice, better quality, better service and lower cost.

Dealers know that the cheese is being moved on them. They are in a delay game. They can't win in the long run, and they know it.

13. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

My comments were assigned #29. I'd like to see every Tesla owner weigh in on this. A few tens of responses aren't going to garner any attention.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The "purchase out of state" is a bit overblown as you order from your computer and take delivery at the Service Centre. Yes, the paperwork says you bought it in CA, but that's just a formality. The Texas incentive only lasted for a few months and wasn't a significant amount to start with. Of course it's annoying that the dealer cartel can buy the legislators, but they have always been for sale, so nothing new.

15. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

The main and most important part is that our so called impartial texas lawmakers deliberately crafted an incentive that required purchase through an auto dealer.
    The size of auto dealer lobbying wallet was too large for most politicians to ignore.

16. Vexar

Vexar Member

It seems to me like the State of Texas (or Republic, depending on with whom you speak) could use an owner's rally, like what happened in Iowa and Michigan over the last two years.

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

We did that. Two times (maybe three). However in Texas that and $5 will get you a hot chocolate at Starbucks. Our legislators only care about how much money they get. If you don't come up with the payola, you don't get whatever it is you want changed.

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That's correct. I think it was three people and they said their views didn't reflect official policy or something like that.

19. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

It says in the article itself:
    "The FTC is a federal agency, not a legislative body, so there's little direct action it could take to upend the longstanding state franchise model."

Unless a federal law is passed (which is not what FTC does), I don't think the situation will change significantly. It'll still be a state-by-state battle.

20. Jim MacInnes

Jim MacInnes Member

#20 Jim MacInnes, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Yes, when Michigan Senator, Darwin Booher who represents our district, wanted to bypass Michigan dealers to help another constituent sell Autocycles. He is not very sympathetic to Tesla, however. It is all outlined in the attached link. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2015/05/11/ftc-michigan-tesla/27122673/ I did give him a ride though so at least he knows what a Tesla is like.