Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you have literally described my life for the past 2 months or so/since I went FSD. Thought I was the only one whose Summon and Smart Summon went bad. If you try the summon or smart summon about 5 times in a row? 60% chance it might work. Might. Otherwise, I get that "lost connection" message 100% of the time on first try. Whether my phone/the car is connected to wifi or whether neither is on wifi. Same thing.

Update: Since I went to MCU2 (about 2-3 weeks ago, paid out of my pocket), 100% of all the issues I reported/that occurred after getting the HW3 installed/with MCU1 in place, are now 100% gone. That includes summon/smart summon now connecting literally 100% of the times I've attempted to use it. Including when my car and/or my phone, are on home wifi. My streaming services are almost flawless now. No waiting, no loading errors/no timeout errors. Navigation is fast/quick/no delays. Voice commands are recognized almost 99% of the time. And this is with a USB connected/dashcam running/sentry enabled.

Last edited:
@2101Guy, I don't know how I feel about this. I'm happy for you, but sad as well. I feel like the right thing for Tesla to do would be to discount the MCU2 for FSD HW3 owners since they literally broke the car. Maybe meet in the middle (i.e. $1,250)?

Glad you're happy! Also, am glad to know that upgrading does indeed fix all the issues!

Screenshot_20201230-151844.png

The email they sent today says pending. (The first email didn't have a ship date field.) Anyway, my expectation is that it will be covered as if I'm within the 8-year warranty period, because I reported it within that period.

Update: The service center (bot?) texted me today to say the part had arrived, and I should schedule a new appointment. I took the earliest one at that service center which was January 18th. (I originally initiated a service appointment on 11/26.)

Fingers crossed. I got the "storage device degraded" warning, and my MCU previously required service for blank screen (which was address without replacing any hardware). Yesterday, my car started acting up. The MCU appeared to be working, but turn signals made no sound and Slacker streaming wasn't working. I rebooted the MCU and it took something like five minutes to come back up, but it did start working again.

Update: The service center (bot?) texted me today to say the part had arrived, and I should schedule a new appointment. I took the earliest one at that service center which was January 18th. (I originally initiated a service appointment on 11/26.)

Fingers crossed. I got the "storage device degraded" warning, and my MCU previously required service for blank screen (which was address without replacing any hardware). Yesterday, my car started acting up. The MCU appeared to be working, but turn signals made no sound and Slacker streaming wasn't working. I rebooted the MCU and it took something like five minutes to come back up, but it did start working again.

Suggest bring a copy of the TSB. It indicates that display of the warning is grounds for replacement of the chip.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
They are not making it easy for us...get a pic of the message, submit it in the service request app...

When I first scheduled the service, it actually pulled the message from my car, as I recall. That didn't happen when I scheduled this time around. But hopefully that info is still tied to my service appointment, given they ordered the part for me. (I'm wondering if they ran through the steps in that TSB remotely before ordering the part.) I do have a photo of the message from back then, and the message is still appearing on my IC.

When I first scheduled the service, it actually pulled the message from my car, as I recall. That didn't happen when I scheduled this time around. But hopefully that info is still tied to my service appointment, given they ordered the part for me. (I'm wondering if they ran through the steps in that TSB remotely before ordering the part.) I do have a photo of the message from back then, and the message is still appearing on my IC.

Don't let them pull a fast one by clearing you home folder or some other such nonsense. Point out they should be following the Tesla approved procedure in the SB, i.e., replacement, when an alert is observed.

Reactions: markb1