Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding was that there were no dummy modules, but that each module had fewer cells, and thus the pack had the same number of modules and effectively the same weight distribution.
There are only 14 active modules in the 60kWh (as confirmed by NHTSA crash test report) vs 16 active modules in the 85kWh. The 60kWh also has fewer cells per module (I've seen this in pictures somewhere in this forum; also 85kWh*14/16=74kWh, so the modules must either have less cells or lower capacity ones). However, I have never seen any pictures of dummy modules for the 60kWh pack, so can't comment on the existence of those.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ack-Pics/page2?p=449465&viewfull=1#post449465

Reactions: jvonbokel
There are only 14 active modules in the 60kWh (as confirmed by NHTSA crash test report) vs 16 active modules in the 85kWh. The 60kWh also has fewer cells per module (I've seen this in pictures somewhere in this forum; also 85kWh*14/16=74kWh, so the modules must either have less cells or lower capacity ones). However, I have never seen any pictures of dummy modules for the 60kWh pack, so can't comment on the existence of those. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ack-Pics/page2?p=449465&viewfull=1#post449465
Interesting... So it's a combination of fewer modules and fewer cells per module.

TeslaTap.com also has these numbers. They literally say conjecture at the end, so I don't know how accurate they are, but they seem like good guesses to me.

TeslaTap.com said:
  • 85 kWh – 400V, 7104 total cells in 16 modules, each with 6 groups of 74 cells = 444 cells, producing 25 volts (our analysis from battery photos)
  • 70 kWh – 375V, 5850 total cells in 15 modules, each with 6 groups of 65 cells = 390 cells, producing 25 volts
  • --OR-- – 350V, 5880 total cells in 14 modules, each with 6 groups of 70 cells = 420 cells, producing 25 volts (our conjecture)
  • 60 kWh – 350V, 5040 cells in 14 modules, each with 6 groups of 60 cells = 360 cells, producing 25 volts (our conjecture)

Last edited:
Here's a shot of a module where you can see the spacers in 2 of the 6 groups of parallel cells making up one of the modules in a 60kwh pack:

Tesla-Model-S-battery-pack-Ricardo-photo-2_1280 (2).jpg

If there are 2 full dummy modules in that 'nose' of a 60 pack, I've never seen one...

Ok, let me try this a different, "dialed back", way.

Ever since you posted the above graph, something just didn't seem right to me, and now I've figured it out.

You are graphing Wh/Mile versus kWh pack size. But there is a linear relationship between those two -- since Wh/mile (y axis) is just kWh(x-axis)*1000*95%/range. So when you remove pack size variable from the y-axis, what you're really just graphing is EPA Range versus kWh pack size.

I've taken all your numbers and same assumptions to create virtually the same graph removing the dependent axes. This is Range (y-axis) versus kWh pack size (x-axis)

View attachment 81041

The top solid orange line is the EPA ranges of the 60D(imputed), 70D, and 85D. The dashed orange line is a straight line between the 60D and 85D points. The midpoint at the 70D marker (236) is what you would expect the 70D range to be if it were made from the same cells as the 60D/85D.

The blue lines mirror the same values as the orange line, except for the non-D variants. Just as you did, I created an EPA range for a non-existent S70 using this formula: (265*245)/270=240 miles.

The point of this is to look at two numbers for the 70D on the orange lines. If we assert for a moment that the 70D were made of the same cells as the 60D/85D, you'd expect the EPA Range to fall at or near the linear line between 60D and 85D, or 236 miles. But it doesn't, it's actually 245 miles. That is an increase of 9 miles over the expected value, or just an 3.8% improvement.

As discussed elsewhere in this thread, even if there were 200 pounds more due to the same old cells being used in the 70D over the 60D (200 pounds would be about 2000 more cells over the 60D), the addition or removal of 200 pounds (say, one adult passenger) has a negligible affect on range, and certainly not 16%. So I think saying the 60D and 70D cars weigh the same (or not) does not really factor that greatly into this discussion of increased energy density.

Finally, if we look at your original graph, you can see this same difference. Your 70D wh/m value is 271. If you go straight up to where the 70 kwh pack intersects the orange line, it's about 281 Wh/m. So that difference is 10 Wh/m, or 3.7%. Using the same logic, if the 70D were built with the same cells, you'd expect the Wh/m to be around 282, but it's only 3.7% lower.

View attachment 81042

So it appears that the 70D packs are slightly more efficient (~4%) than their 60D/85D counterparts, but does that mean there's newer cell technology, or just other incremental improvements along the way? That I can not answer, but I would bet on the latter.

This is really good, HankLloyd, I appreciate you taking time to go through what I’ve posted.

I think, however, that you still are missing couple things. I’ll try to explain – let’s see if we can agree.

1. The energy consumption per mile (Wh/mile) is function of car weight and aerodynamic resistance. The effect on range is negligible **only** if car is moving with constant speed on a level road. For any movement with varying speed, with stop and go traffic and/or on uneven terrain Wh/mi will increase with increased weight of the vehicle.

This is the reason that 60 has lower Wh/mile than 85. As I posted before, according to the page 149 of Tesla Manual weight of 85 is 223 pounds less than 60 (4630-4407=223). Since EPA range is determined not based on steady speed driving, but on 5 cycle test, the Wh/mile of 60 is lower than that of 85.

It is kind of funny that so many people have problem with this. To use the analogy with ICE car, Wh/mile is equivalent to MPG, or to be precise, GPM (Gallon per mile). For some reason the effect of car weight on MPG is universally accepted, but a lot of people get confused with accepting the same relationship for Wh/mile. Just to complete the ICE analogy, the battery pack size in kWh is analogous to the gasoline tank size in gallons.
  2. The reason I chose to work with the Wh/mile chart is because it is linear as function of Battery Pack kWh and vehicle mass (larger battery is equivalent to the added weight). The linearity is due to the fact that energy spent on changing of the kinetic, potential energy and friction losses is proportional to mass. So if two cars of identical shape but different mass are taken through exactly that same 5 cycle test under the same atmospheric conditions, the expended energy would be proportional to the mass of each vehicle.

The problem with the EPA range vs the kWh pack size graph that you are attempting to use is that it actually is non-linear. Range varies with the Battery Pack kWh **and** also depends on kWh/mile, which in turn also depends on Battery Pack kWh (due to added weight )
  3. The calculation you used to obtain the EPA range for the hypothetical 70 is not analogous to what I did. My calculation, as I mentioned before, is just another way of saying that increase in rnage of 60D over 60 is proportional to the increase in range of 85D over 85. This statement is true because all these variants of Model S have similar batteries and drivetrains.

Similar extrapolation between 70D and 70 based on ratio of ranges for 85D and 85 is not accurate because these cars presumably have different gen. of batteries. In another words the number you obtain for 70 is accurate only if you assume that 85D, 85 and 70D have the same gen. of cells, i.e. cells with identical volumetric and gravimetric energy density. If cells are different, this formula is wrong.
  4. As follows from discussion in #1 above, the point that you marked on orange line – 281 Wh/mile corresponds to the hypothetical efficiency of the 70D **if** increase in the battery capacity by 10kWh would have been accompanied by the corresponding increase in battery (and car) weight. The fact that 70D energy consumption lies below the orange line indicates that increase in the battery capacity did not result in appreciable gain in car weight.
  5. The improvement associated with the new gen. battery could be measured as an increase in it’s capacity without increase in size (same quantity of cells) and weight (new cells weigh approximately the same as old cells), i.e. 70/60=16.7%
  6. I am not a chemical engineer (and I suspect you are neither), so I prefer to treat the battery as a black box and not try to attribute battery improvement to “newer cell technology” or “other incremental improvement along the way”. I just say that we are dealing with new generation of the battery cell, which has increased volumetric and gravimetric battery density, by about 16.7%. This is consistent with JB mentioning during one of the ERs that there will be 10-15% improvement in battery chemistry.
  7. One final point for people incredulous that Tesla already has new generation of battery cell. Consider that according to the Q1 2015 ER the start of battery production at GF is scheduled for Q1 of 2016. This need to be preceded by the installation and launch of the cell making equipment, which in turn must be preceded by completion of the manufacturing of the said equipment. In order to complete the above, of course, the design of cell manufacturing equipment need to be completed, which in turn means that design of the cell has to be completed prior to that. To make long story short, if Tesla/Panasonic does not have completed design and bench testing of the new cell/battery pack design **now** ,they (and us, investors) are in seriously deep trouble.

70D Rev 3.png

- - - Updated - - -

Somewhere there is a picture of 60 modules that show the dummy cells in some of the rows with real cells.

According to the picture posted by Scaesare, these are spacers, not dummy cells, i.e just hollow shell, without the innards.

A "dummy" cell would be exactly that, an empty container used as a spacer. The spacer has to weigh something.

To be quite clear, I have no doubt that Tesla/Panasonic has more energy dense cells, I'm just not convinced they are in the 70D pack or any other model currently in production.

A "dummy" cell would be exactly that, an empty container used as a spacer. The spacer has to weigh something.

To be quite clear, I have no doubt that Tesla/Panasonic has more energy dense cells, I'm just not convinced they are in the 70D pack or any other model currently in production.

I took dummy to mean imitation or copy of the original cell, but not functioning one, meaning that weigh of the dummy cell would be equal to real cell. For example dummy used in sport are designed to mimic shape and weight of the human body (or part of it) - for example in boxing, football, etc.

We are on the same page if you meant dummy=hollow spacer.

1. The energy consumption per mile (Wh/mile) is function of car weight and aerodynamic resistance. The effect on range is negligible **only** if car is moving with constant speed on a level road. For any movement with varying speed, with stop and go traffic and/or on uneven terrain Wh/mi will increase with increased weight of the vehicle.

This is the reason that 60 has lower Wh/mile than 85. As I posted before, according to the page 149 of Tesla Manual weight of 85 is 223 pounds less than 60 (4630-4407=223). Since EPA range is determined not based on steady speed driving, but on 5 cycle test, the Wh/mile of 60 is lower than that of 85.

It is kind of funny that so many people have problem with this. To use the analogy with ICE car, Wh/mile is equivalent to MPG, or to be precise, GPM (Gallon per mile). For some reason the effect of car weight on MPG is universally accepted, but a lot of people get confused with accepting the same relationship for Wh/mile. Just to complete the ICE analogy, the battery pack size in kWh is analogous to the gasoline tank size in gallons.
All of the above factors influencing your Wh/m figures are already and completely encapsulated in the EPA Range value.

The "Wh/mile" that you mention above that varies with terrain, mass, speed, etc is *instantaneous* Wh/mile as measured in the car. I agree that instantaneous Wh/mile is one of the factors influencing EPA range. Another factor is pack size in KWh.

But the "Wh/mile" you use in your charts is not the same, even though the units are the same. Your "Wh/mile" values are calculated thusly:

([kWh Pack size]*1000*.95)/EPA Range

which isn't the same thing as instantaneous actual Wh/mile as measured in the car during the 5-cycle test.

Let's just take the numerator of your "Wh/mile" values: ([kWh Pack size]*1000*.95) which you are using on your Y-axis. What you are calling "Wh" is actually just "Usable Wh."

This is obviously a linear function of kWh pack size. Here's the chart of that relationship:

graph3.png

1. The reason I chose to work with the Wh/mile chart is because it is linear as function of Battery Pack kWh and vehicle mass (larger battery is equivalent to the added weight). The linearity is due to the fact that energy spent on changing of the kinetic, potential energy and friction losses is proportional to mass. So if two cars of identical shape but different mass are taken through exactly that same 5 cycle test under the same atmospheric conditions, the expended energy would be proportional to the mass of each vehicle.

The problem with the EPA range vs the kWh pack size graph that you are attempting to use is that it actually is non-linear.

But you don't seem to see the point of this. The graph I'm using, and the graph you are using, are essentially the same. The only difference is that your graph is applying a fixed, dependent, factor to the Y-axis (kWh*1000*.95). There's no need to obfuscate the y-axis with your "Wh/mile" calculation when EPA Range provides the exact same graphic data. Just to prove the point, here is your graph, using EPA Range instead of Wh/mile on the y-axis (i.e. removing the dependent axes -- the lines are flipped because EPA Range is no longer in the denominator):

graph4.png

It's just as linear with or without using Wh/mile on the y-axis. If you take a linear function, and apply a fixed factor to it, it's still linear.

Range varies with the Battery Pack kWh **and** also depends on kWh/mile, which in turn also depends on Battery Pack kWh (due to added weight )

This is simply circular logic. Again, all of those factors are already included in the simple EPA Range numbers published.

1. The calculation you used to obtain the EPA range for the hypothetical 70 is not analogous to what I did. My calculation, as I mentioned before, is just another way of saying that increase in rnage of 60D over 60 is proportional to the increase in range of 85D over 85. This statement is true because all these variants of Model S have similar batteries and drivetrains.

Similar extrapolation between 70D and 70 based on ratio of ranges for 85D and 85 is not accurate because these cars presumably have different gen. of batteries. In another words the number you obtain for 70 is accurate only if you assume that 85D, 85 and 70D have the same gen. of cells, i.e. cells with identical volumetric and gravimetric energy density. If cells are different, this formula is wrong.

This really doesn't matter.. throw it out then. Throw out both blue lines in the graph in my previous post. I'm not using it to prove any points, I only included it, and imputed the range for the S70 so it was a complete parallel to your original graph. But I *am* assuming the packs are different. You are not. Therefore, even if I needed to use the imputed S70 range, my calculation actually is correct, exactly the same way you imputed the range for the 60D. But like I said, the range for the S70 is irrelevant to my previous post. It was included for "completeness".

1. As follows from discussion in #1 above, the point that you marked on orange line – 281 Wh/mile corresponds to the hypothetical efficiency of the 70D **if** increase in the battery capacity by 10kWh would have been accompanied by the corresponding increase in battery (and car) weight. The fact that 70D energy consumption lies below the orange line indicates that increase in the battery capacity did not result in appreciable gain in car weight.
  2. The improvement associated with the new gen. battery could be measured as an increase in it’s capacity without increase in size (same quantity of cells) and weight (new cells weigh approximately the same as old cells), i.e. 70/60=16.7%

No, I don't think you can draw those conclusions. Assuming the cars are the same weights, it's quite possible that the added weight from the additional cells in the 70D over the 60D (and we're only talking 86 pounds here) were made up due to manufacturing improvements between the two cars, since there's no control or accuracy on those data sets. I think it's much more believable, if the cars weigh the same, that it's a net 0 gain between additional batteries and other reductions in weight.

1. I am not a chemical engineer (and I suspect you are neither), so I prefer to treat the battery as a black box and not try to attribute battery improvement to “newer cell technology” or “other incremental improvement along the way”. I just say that we are dealing with new generation of the battery cell, which has increased volumetric and gravimetric battery density, by about 16.7%. This is consistent with JB mentioning during one of the ERs that there will be 10-15% improvement in battery chemistry.

This is mincing my words. By "other incremental improvements" I was not talking about batteries, I was talking about any other improvements in the drivetrain, energy or battery management, manufacturing improvements, or weight reductions over time, resulting in what appears to be two cars with the same weight, but different "energy densities".

1. One final point for people incredulous that Tesla already has new generation of battery cell. Consider that according to the Q1 2015 ER the start of battery production at GF is scheduled for Q1 of 2016. This need to be preceded by the installation and launch of the cell making equipment, which in turn must be preceded by completion of the manufacturing of the said equipment. In order to complete the above, of course, the design of cell manufacturing equipment need to be completed, which in turn means that design of the cell has to be completed prior to that. To make long story short, if Tesla/Panasonic does not have completed design and bench testing of the new cell/battery pack design **now** ,they (and us, investors) are in seriously deep trouble.

I think this is a red herring. You can't base your conclusions on the totally unknown R&D processes and timelines of both Tesla and Panasonic. Sure, they probably have something in the pipeline, and I would expect that GF planning would allow the GF to quickly adapt to any new/developing improvements in battery technology (I think this was referenced above by something Elon said). This is just using an unknown timeline (several timelines) to back into your assertion that they *must* be using the new technology right now. Or in fact, at least a year ago, since they were probably working on releasing the 70D at least that long.

So I still assert, applying Occam's razor here, that usually the most simple solution is usually the correct one. Are we to believe all the things you assume, that there's totally unannounced, newly developed, low manufacturing yield, battery technology, or it's just simply (as stated by a Tesla employee) that they're using 842 more cells in the same battery pack?

I couldn't find that other pic, but you can kind of see the dummy module here

View attachment 81110
Is it me or does that picture make no sense?

TBH It looks more like a manufacturing error or R+D exercise.

Even if we take it at face value that c.75 cells are dummies in two of the modules, this doesn't come close to the cell count defecit to explain the expected power capacity.

There are 7104 cells in an 85 pack. To make a 60 pack you need c.5015 cells. Losing 2 modules from the hump gets you down to 6216 cells. We still need to lose c.1200. Every module would need to contain 75 blanks to hit this number and it doesn't appear to be the case.

Without knowing the provenance of these photos though they aren't really proof of anything, and just speculation.

For all we know the removed cells are part of an experiment to test the effects of dead cells in various positions (hence the somewhat strange layout of dummy cells. to simulate varying dead cells per strip). The "Post Test" sticker, and the charring evident of the end of the other close up photo, certainly lend themselves to such a hypothesis.

What is also interesting about that pic is the way the pack has been opened.

If you look at wk057's thread:
Pics/Info: Inside the battery pack

You can clearly see that the cover is a simple pressed piece of sheet metal, with the ribs formed as part of the pressing.

The picture we see here has hinged metal bars forming the strengthening ribs of the pack cover.

The layout of the dummy cells is also bugging me. If we think how the pack manufacture would be automated, i.e. using a continuous process a bit like say a bottling plant, why are the dummy cells not missing in a contiguous block, or at least at the end of each strip of cells?

Then there is the issue of balancing individual cells, such a configuration would seem really hard for each strip to balance, or am I missing something?

Overall, it really does look like an early engineering test bed. Only when some third party like WK057 takes apart a production 60 pack and documents it in such detail as the 85 (big thanks to him btw, I found the thread fascinating,) will we truly know.

I have a niggling feeling it would have simplified production and inventory issues to have identical modules and to have simply absorbed the additional cell count cost on the small percentage of modules destined for 60 packs, software limit them to give a decent model differentiation and in the majority of cases recoup that back via Supercharging fees anyway.