Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla DashCam: High endurance microSD + USB card reader not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m replacing the default USB stick with a combo of High endurance microSD card and a USB stick which has a card reader (links mentioned below). The USB stick has a direct microSD reader and also a card reader (which can have a microSD inserted in it)

However, when I plug the microSD directly into the stick, Tesla gives me a warning “Plug in only one USB device to format” (screenshot attached). When I insert the microSD into a card reader and plug that into the stick, I get the same error. If I remove the microSD and just plug-in the stick, the option to format appears but throws an error “Error while formatting”.

Any help please.

High endurance microSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NY23WBG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

SD reader USB stick: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D1J88CF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

PS: please no comments convincing me to use SSD. I’ve done my research and planned to use SD cards instead

Attachments

• IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I’m replacing the default USB stick with a combo of High endurance microSD card and a USB stick which has a card reader (links mentioned below). The USB stick has a direct microSD reader and also a card reader (which can have a microSD inserted in it)

However, when I plug the microSD directly into the stick, Tesla gives me a warning “Plug in only one USB device to format” (screenshot attached). When I insert the microSD into a card reader and plug that into the stick, I get the same error. If I remove the microSD and just plug-in the stick, the option to format appears but throws an error “Error while formatting”.

Any help please.

High endurance microSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NY23WBG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

SD reader USB stick: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D1J88CF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

PS: please no comments convincing me to use SSD. I’ve done my research and planned to use SD cards instead
I think your issue is with your Reader Stick (because it's a hub.

Try this Micro sd card reader instead.

Reactions: ATPMSD and MrNik
Upvote 0

Any help please.

Do you have a computer? If so, you can format the device and create the TeslaCam folder on your computer. That's what I do. Some people change the partition label to "TESALDRIVE" (which is what the car does when it formats a drive) but that does not seem to be necessary.

I looked up your device on the US Amazon site and the first comment said the thing gets really hot. Depending on where you live, this could be a deal breaker because the inside of a Tesla can get really hot. At least one person here had problems with their (SanDisk UltraFit) usb stick failing because it got too hot in their hot car.

I've been using the Samsung reader and it stays cool.

I got mine (with a 128G sdcard) for US $16 which is roughly £13, about half of what Amazon.co.uk is charging.

If you want to use multiple devices in your glove box, this JOWUA hub is designed for that purpose and has been recommended here for use with a high endurance sdcard.

The Samsung micro-sdcards I've gotten recently have come with an exFAT partition already so the only prep that's needed is to create the top level TeslaCam folder.

I have about 10 years experience working extensively with usb flash drives. I recommend using name brands, especially Samsung. It sounds like you did this but you also need to get a good (or recommended) reader. The first little reader I got was small and cute but it got hot so I paid a bit more to get the Samsung reader.

BTW: I keep the Tesla usb stick (and another sdcard) as spares. If an incident happens then I plan disable the dashcam, remove the TeslaCam device, and replace it with a spare. A large drive stores tons data but anything in the TeslaCam/RecentClips folder that's more than an hour old gets deleted and you need to use an undelete tool to get those videos.

The video files take up about 5G per hour. So a 128G device should hold about 24 hours worth of video although the files for 23 of those hours will need to be undeleted which can be tedious.

Upvote 0
Do you have a computer? If so, you can format the device and create the TeslaCam folder on your computer. That's what I do. Some people change the partition label to "TESALDRIVE" (which is what the car does when it formats a drive) but that does not seem to be necessary.

I looked up your device on the US Amazon site and the first comment said the thing gets really hot. Depending on where you live, this could be a deal breaker because the inside of a Tesla can get really hot. At least one person here had problems with their (SanDisk UltraFit) usb stick failing because it got too hot in their hot car.

I've been using the Samsung reader and it stays cool.

I got mine (with a 128G sdcard) for US $16 which is roughly £13, about half of what Amazon.co.uk is charging.

If you want to use multiple devices in your glove box, this JOWUA hub is designed for that purpose and has been recommended here for use with a high endurance sdcard.

The Samsung micro-sdcards I've gotten recently have come with an exFAT partition already so the only prep that's needed is to create the top level TeslaCam folder.

I have about 10 years experience working extensively with usb flash drives. I recommend using name brands, especially Samsung. It sounds like you did this but you also need to get a good (or recommended) reader. The first little reader I got was small and cute but it got hot so I paid a bit more to get the Samsung reader.

BTW: I keep the Tesla usb stick (and another sdcard) as spares. If an incident happens then I plan disable the dashcam, remove the TeslaCam device, and replace it with a spare. A large drive stores tons data but anything in the TeslaCam/RecentClips folder that's more than an hour old gets deleted and you need to use an undelete tool to get those videos.

The video files take up about 5G per hour. So a 128G device should hold about 24 hours worth of video although the files for 23 of those hours will need to be undeleted which can be tedious.
Thanks for the recommendations … I bought the Sandisk card reader and returning this ugreen usb stick.

Upvote 0
I've used various USB sticks and USB SD card adapters. The USB sticks all fail pretty quick. The SD card route (my preferred and researched choice) , even with high end expensive cards fail eventually as well. Or should I stay become unstable because they seems to work, or they just seem to need a reformat.

I reluctantly switched the SSD route with the Samsung T7 1TB and it's never had one failure or problem since.

The SanDisk Micro SD USB card reader is the only one I would recommend. I also use these cards on all my security cameras.

SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA​

Do as you will.

Upvote 0
How much did you get the T7 SSD for ?

Fellow Rico fan BTW.

I got it last year when they were around $150. And end up getting one for $99. I just checked though and BB has them on sale for $89 today.

The 1TB is overkill honestly, especially if you don’t load music on it like I don’t.

I went with the 1TB though as it was a better spec than the lower capacity and with higher capacity that means less rewrites over the same sections and lower failures due to down digital works with rewrites, including SD.

I also wanted more space to keep more footage before the drive overwrites older footage. In case I need wanted to go back and look at stuff from days or weeks earlier based on my usage.

Upvote 0
I used a 500 GB Samsung T5 for about 2 years. It was rock solid for most of that time but then recently it started to throw errors so I switched it out for a Samsung Pro Endurance SD card with a Samsung reader/usb-adapter.

I live in the high desert and I park outside so my car gets extremely hot on the inside. Even with tinted windows, tinted windshield, and opaque shades for the windshield and roof, the car gets to 35F or more above ambient. I wouldn't be surprised if high temperatures contributed to the early failure of the T5. I put a min/max thermometer inside the car today to keep track of the max temperature.

I wish Tesla would do stuff like this for me, even if it's only when the car's awake. Likewise, I wish it would record/remember the tire pressure at the start of a drive. Yes, it remembers at the end of a drive, which is really neat, but the tires are much more likely to be cold at the start.

The T5 was still perfectly serviceable but when things I want to rely on start to give warning signs, I try to listen.

Upvote 0
I used a 500 GB Samsung T5 for about 2 years. It was rock solid for most of that time but then recently it started to throw errors so I switched it out for a Samsung Pro Endurance SD card with a Samsung reader/usb-adapter.

I live in the high desert and I park outside so my car gets extremely hot on the inside. Even with tinted windows, tinted windshield, and opaque shades for the windshield and roof, the car gets to 35F or more above ambient. I wouldn't be surprised if high temperatures contributed to the early failure of the T5. I put a min/max thermometer inside the car today to keep track of the max temperature.

I wish Tesla would do stuff like this for me, even if it's only when the car's awake. Likewise, I wish it would record/remember the tire pressure at the start of a drive. Yes, it remembers at the end of a drive, which is really neat, but the tires are much more likely to be cold at the start.

The T5 was still perfectly serviceable but when things I want to rely on start to give warning signs, I try to listen.
Do you not have cabin overheat protection enabled?

Upvote 0
Temperature ratings on SSDs are not just suggestions. I have had drives in the field become completely inoperable just from being slightly below the rated operating temperature. There is a lot of internal temperature compensation and error correction going on. Look at the temperature extremes you expect your car cabin to reach throughout the year and make sure whatever SSD you choose will be close to that (or accept it may not operate sometimes).

Upvote 0
Do you not have cabin overheat protection enabled?
Sure (ventilation, no AC), but it's designed to protect children and pets, or to make the car more comfortable when you're running errands. It's not meant to protect the car so it only stays on for 12 hours. If you're not out until the wee hours of the morning or beyond then it won't affect the max temp inside the car.

Also, in the hot summer here we often get afternoon monsoon rains so leaving the windows open to vent is not a great idea.

Upvote 0
Sure (ventilation, no AC), but it's designed to protect children and pets, or to make the car more comfortable when you're running errands. It's not meant to protect the car so it only stays on for 12 hours. If you're not out until the wee hours of the morning or beyond then it won't affect the max temp inside the car.

Also, in the hot summer here we often get afternoon monsoon rains so leaving the windows open to vent is not a great idea.
It's ventilation only if you change the factory default. Otherwise it's an automated system designed to run the A/C (if necessary) whenever temperatures exceed 100deg (adjustable down to 95 and 90 in newer cars) for various reasons, not the least of which to protect delicate electronics that make up these cars... just like the ones you're talking about. You can change it from the default to only vent but, based on your concerns stated here, I don't know why you'd want to. Sounds like the solution is already baked into the firmware of the car if you're attributing electronic failure to "extremely hot" temps inside of the car.

Upvote 0
It's ventilation only if you change the factory default. Otherwise it's an automated system designed to run the A/C (if necessary) whenever temperatures exceed 100deg (adjustable down to 95 and 90 in newer cars) for various reasons, not the least of which to protect delicate electronics that make up these cars... just like the ones you're talking about. You can change it from the default to only vent but, based on your concerns stated here, I don't know why you'd want to. Sounds like the solution is already baked into the firmware of the car if you're attributing electronic failure to "extremely hot" temps inside of the car.

Please read the owner's manual!

Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed once you exit Model Y, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first. Using Cabin Overheat Protection requires energy from the Battery, which may decrease range.

Or just read my post that you quoted.

Enabling AC for COP is mostly a big waste of money and energy (unless you leave children or pets in the car and forget to keep the AC on for them when you get out). It will not do anything to reduce the max temperature in the cabin. It's a waste because it will often run the AC (in hot weather) for 12 hours while no one is in the car.

There are dozens of threads here about this already. For example:
[Protecting children and pets is] precisely what it was intended for. It has nothing to do with keeping the electronics cool. If that were a design consideration it surely wouldn't turn itself off after 12 hours. Do computers only suffer from extreme heat for the first 12 hours after being parked?

View attachment 879291

Here is the screenshot from that post:

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 7.16.31 PM.png

Sure, I could reduce the max cabin temperature by leaving the AC on all the time with Keep Climate On but that would be an even bigger waste. The cars are designed to withstand high temperatures inside the cabin. It would be idiotic to spend $50 or $100 (or more) per month to keep the AC on all the time in order to save $25 by not buying a Pro Endurance SD card.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Please read the owner's manual!

Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed once you exit Model Y, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first. Using Cabin Overheat Protection requires energy from the Battery, which may decrease range.

Or just read my post that you quoted.

Enabling AC for COP is mostly a big waste of money and energy (unless you leave children or pets in the car and forget to keep the AC on for them when you get out). It will not do anything to reduce the max temperature in the cabin. It's a waste because it will often run the AC (in hot weather) for 12 hours while no one is in the car.

There are dozens of threads here about this already. For example:

Here is the screenshot from that post:

View attachment 932839

Sure, I could reduce the max cabin temperature by leaving the AC on all the time with Keep Climate On but that would be an even bigger waste. The cars are designed to withstand high temperatures inside the cabin. It would be idiotic to spend $50 or $100 (or more) per month to keep the AC on all the time in order to save $25 by not buying a Pro Endurance SD card.
I guess you can just keep buying electronics and blaming high heat for their failure while simultaneously acting like there isn't an solution in sight.

Upvote 0
I guess you can just keep buying electronics and blaming high heat for their failure while simultaneously acting like there isn't an solution in sight.
What is your solution other than have me waste tons of energy and spend $100 or more each month to keep my car air conditioned throughout the summer? Maybe you want me to spend $50,000 to build an air conditioned garage in order to save $25?

Even though I think I've solved the TeslaCam problem for now, if you have an actual, practical solution to keep the interior of my car at a reasonable temperature throughout the summer, please let me know. I'd love to do it. You get bonus points if it costs me less than the $25/year you seem to think I'm needlessly wasting.

• Funny
Reactions: jeremymc7
Upvote 0
What is your solution other than have me waste tons of energy and spend $100 or more each month to keep my car air conditioned throughout the summer? Maybe you want me to spend $50,000 to build an air conditioned garage in order to save $25?

Even though I think I've solved the TeslaCam problem for now, if you have an actual, practical solution to keep the interior of my car at a reasonable temperature throughout the summer, please let me know. I'd love to do it. You get bonus points if it costs me less than the $25/year you seem to think I'm needlessly wasting.
Stop being hyperbolic. You live in Silver City NM and your electric rate is $0.15/kWh so there's no way your additional usage for cabin overheat protection is even a fractional number of your claim.

Listen, it's your car and your money so you can do whatever you want. Coming on here to act like your some sort of victim though because you're afraid to leave your car's settings at default so they can do what they're engineered to do because "mah kilowatts!" or whatever is needlessly causing others to be concerned over something that's a non-issue.

Upvote 0