TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Destination Chargers for the Model 3

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Rooster6655, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Member

Just wondering does anyone know if the current Tesla destination chargers are going to work with the model 3?

I know people have said the current superchargers won't work, only the CCS enabled ones which I assume is correct

2. dst87

dst87 Member

I think the current destination chargers just use Type 2, right? I’m assuming, therefore, that they will.

• Like x 2
  3. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Member

Thanks, sounds about right!

4. Roy W.

Roy W. Member

They will work with the M3. At destination charger locations there are often several Tesla-only chargers, and at least one generic charger, which can be used with any EV using type 2. Whether both types will work with M3 I don’t know. I don’t know whether it’s a different plug, or simply software. Perhaps our resident charger expert can advise?

5. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I'd phrase that a bit differently.

Tesla converted "a couple of stalls" at Supercharger sites across EU to be Model-3-compatible, it was assumed that would take "a long time" and people started shared Google DOCs to chart progress ... but within a couple of months Tesla had done all sites across EU, including UK, bar just a handful. (quite impressive actually ...)

They then set about converting all stalls at those sites and so far (we are now another 2 or 3 months into the project) they have done about 50% of all the EU sites.

SatNav in Model-3 won't offer you a Supercharger site which has not been converted, so no risk of you rocking up at one of the few unconverted ones

When you get there you do need to find a stall (might be all of them :) ) which has double-hoses as that means it will have the Model-3 CCS hose.

No obligation to have a non-Tesla charger. As i understand it Tesla "workplace charger program" provided the chargers for free, the landlord has to provide the electricity, and cannot charge (but can restrict to "patrons only"). From memory that scheme required two chargers to be configured Tesla-only, so if the landlord only installed two chargers there wouldn't be a non-Tesla one (unless Tesla have relaxed that condition)

Typically they have Red sign for Tesla-specific, and White sign for any EV

• Informative x 2
  6. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Member

Yes I see that some sites only have 25% enabled so 2 out of 8, my only concern is finding S/X owners taking these bays up not knowing that Model 3 owners can't use the other ones, hope they go through and increase capacity at the others ones eventually.

7. dst87

dst87 Member

I’m curious - is the progress still being actively tracked with which stalls at each site have been updated? Do you have a link to this?

I’d be interested to see how the rollout is going.

8. alexp2

alexp2 Member

Main question has been answered already, but just in case you want to hear it directly from Tesla:

Model 3 Charging

• Informative x 2
  9. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

They are labelled "priority for Model-3"

The initial rollout was variable, with either 2 or 4 stalls done, which on an 8 stall site was half of them :)

As I said, 50% of the sites in the UK have already had all-stalls-converted. In another month or two, if you don't get your car until then ... might well be pretty much all sites.

I don't think it is - the information in the public DOCs is not accurate, I suspect people have lost interest in updating it because rollout has been much faster than was probably expected. Pretty rare that you'd have a choice of charging locations (i.e. more than one "within range") so I think its just a question of taking the one that you need The SatNav shows (real time) how many stalls are free

10. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Member

If the sat nav shows the amount of CCS enabled stall available then that will be useful but hopefully by next month more will be done

11. Rob R

Rob R Member

When Model 3 first came to Europe (mainland) some people reported Tesla destination chargers were not working with Model 3, though the general EV chargers alongside were working. Both would fit, they both have Type 2 fitments, but the Model 3 did not charge on the Tesla dedicated one. I have not read this recently though. Hopefully a software update has fixed it continent wide.

• Like x 1
  12. Baldrick

Baldrick Member

13. Marc Roberts

Marc Roberts Member

Thanks so much for this clarification!