Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I go through these things like candy. At $1.18/ea, I figured I'd buy all I could possibly ever need while they're available. And I assumed the maximum miles I can put on this car to be half a million. :)

So how many months/miles do you get out of a paddle gear?

I would hope that Tesla would change the design/materials at some point if they really fail that often...

Any idea why? I've not had a broken gear in ~180k miles between my 3 cars. Though I do appear to have a microswitch problem in my 2012. Thinking about replacing the paddle gear in that handle while it's apart anyway.

I think it probably has a lot to do with how many opens/closes your door sees, how gentle those are, and potentially freeze/warm cycles.

I drive about 150 miles per weekday, and make 5-10 stops along the way, so my front driver's side door gets a lot of use. I have 4 kids under 11, so all the other doors do not get closed gently. In 2.5yrs/80k miles I've broken 2 of these (both after 50k), and done two sets of microswitches (plus one set done under warranty before 50k).

Any idea why? I've not had a broken gear in ~180k miles between my 3 cars. Though I do appear to have a microswitch problem in my 2012. Thinking about replacing the paddle gear in that handle while it's apart anyway.

I don't have much to add beyond what @mmccord said. I don't think I close my doors all that hard but... maybe? I also drive a ton in brutally cold weather -- 7k New England miles between December and March is typical, and I suspect the metal is more brittle in those conditions. It's also possible that all my original paddle gears were made in a single flawed batch (each break was a different door handle).

I put mine back in today. There is one trick. The rear window has to be up to get to one top nut. So you have to be in back seat with door closed.it took 30 minutes to install. Since I had all the tools ready from removal. The gear was $1.18, took 30 minutes to install in mechanism. Vice, hammer, punch, drive pin down far enough to install gear, drive pin back up to original position. Someone said they were quoted $800, wow. Maybe that was complete assembly, new? Good luck.

There is a TMC member who makes this paddle gear in stainless steel. The only problem is that I believe it is designed to protect the polycarbonate handle retention basket and the electric pusher motor... Make the paddle gear too strong and you may have an explosive event, they should have used a fuse verses this weak ass cast paddle gear. Mine is done, built confidence for the next failed handle and saved $1000!!!!

Now that the door cover is off I may dynamat the whole door....

Yes the SC will sell you the micro switches and wire as one complete assembly for $35. I saved the old one to repair and reuse, it was just a simple solder connection that failed, not the actual micro switch. In the video above its the white wire with the two blue micro switches and white quick connector.

Reactions: Manzacoty