Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops annual service for as needed service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you paid 4 and you only used 1 inspection, then they will refund the unused other 3.

Note that the price for each inspection is different so they refund yours based on the price of each inspection not the average of all 4 inspections.

Yes, this is exactly the point and this is not what I was told by my SC.

Two issues with what I was told...

1. That I had done 2 services, when I had only done 1; and

2. That I would be refunded based on "what was suppose to have been done" if in fact I only had 1 service.

I suppose, issue #1 is an easy fix but issue number 2 is less so. Let me explain...

I believe a "4 wheel alignment" was a part of the first year of service, so I requested it be done as I felt my car was pulling slightly to the right. When I got their, I asked to have it done and when I picked up the car they said "it was not needed", so the FULL extent of my service package that I got was a wiper change, battery fob change x 2 and the internal air filter.

If Tesla was to refund me say $2,700, I suppose that would reflect the work that was done (I would be paying $350 for those 3 items), which is still probably on the high side. However, if they only refund me 75%, than I will have been ripped off pretty badly.

Also, when you say the price "was different for each year", I think you are exactly right but that raises a different issue. If year 1 had 7 items to fix but 4 of them were "if needed" and they claim they weren't needed, like wheel alignment, how can you be charged the full amount for that year?

What I now wonder is if all of these recommended ala carte services will cost more separately than the actual annual ones did

But at least you would be paying for actual work, not some vague "inspection" for $850. They started with oil change, brake fluid change, coolant change, desiccant bag change, cabin air filter change, wiper blades, key batteries included in fourth annual service and ended with just brake fluid change and desiccant bag change without any price adjustment. I am paying $850 for what exactly?

...how can you be charged the full amount for that year?

The refund is straight forward if an owner follows the schedule closely.

If come in the first time in 3 years because I skipped the first 2 years: I used only once, not thrice. It's still considered as 3 and I'll get the refund for 1, not 3 unused.

In your case, you had only 1 inspection but you came in twice (not all for formal inspection) and it's still considered as 2.

The idea is owners still get a refund but of course, with fine prints if a schedule is not strictly observed.

The refund is straight forward if an owner follows the schedule closely.

If come in the first time in 3 years because I skipped the first 2 years: I used only once, not thrice. It's still considered as 3 and I'll get the refund for 1, not 3 unused.

In your case, you had only 1 inspection but you came in twice (not all for formal inspection) and it's still considered as 2.

The idea is owners still get a refund but of course, with fine prints if a schedule is not strictly observed.

I came in once and once only, but you're still missing the point.

Let me try again...

Let's say year one service had options A, B, C, D, E and F and you wanted them all but Tesla said "no, you only need A, D and F", so even though you wanted all of the service Tesla REFUSED saying you didn't need it.

No, after year one, TESLA CANCELS the program (not you) and they say "we will give you a full refund for 75% of what you paid, which is 3/4 of the unused portion".

I would argue, that the refund should be closer to 90%, not 75% because they did not fulfill all of the options in year 1, even though you asked for them.

...still missing the point...

I see. Your point is: They skipped Wheel Alignment so they should not charge you the full price of an annual inspection and in a refund, that should be credited too.

There are things that mandatory such as a set of fob battery that they have to be replaced whether that's needed or not.

Others depend on whether they are needed or not, such as:

Tire rotation (if needed)
Wheel alignment check (and adjustment, if needed)

If Tesla says it's not needed but owners feel that's false, then it's time to ask for objective data:

Tire tread measurements to prove front tires were worn less than rear ones
Printout of Wheel alignment check with off limit numbers...

I see. Your point is: They skipped Wheel Alignment so they should not charge you the full price of an annual inspection and in a refund, that should be credited too.

There are things that mandatory such as a set of fob battery that they have to be replaced whether that's needed or not.

Others depend on whether they are needed or not, such as:

Tire rotation (if needed)
Wheel alignment check (and adjustment, if needed)

If Tesla says it's not needed but owners feel that's false, then it's time to ask for objective data:

Tire tread measurements to prove front tires were worn less than rear ones
Printout of Wheel alignment check with off limit numbers...

I don’t exactly recall what was included in the first service but alignment wasn’t done even though the car was pulling right. Tires weren’t rotated but were changed 7mths later because the treads were low.

Not sure if there were any other items that should have been done but nothing else was done.

Got my 2nd (of 3) prepaid annual service yesterday @ 25k miles. Nothingburger as expected, they checked alignment but found it spot on, wear was so even they only rotated 2 tires (LF to LR) and that was for a 1mm difference. He did do the consumables (new wipers, cabin filter, desiccant, top fluids) but really he said this is typical of 2016+ cars hence dropping the recommendation for annual.

Tech told me Tesla will refund 1 of your prepaid's upon request (he said was told only one but YMMV). Now need to figure out how to apply for my refund. Tech said there "would be an option in your account page" but I haven't located that yet.

I just looked at my Maintenance Plan agreement and it may differ between Canada and the USA but here is the language I found in mine (I have highlighted some interesting parts):

J. Cancellation by Tesla

This Agreement cannot be cancelled by Tesla except for an invalid transfer of this Agreement, fraud or material misrepresentation on Your part or for Your failure to pay for this Agreement. If Tesla cancels this Agreement due to an invalid transfer of this Agreement, fraud or material misrepresentation, You will receive a refund equal to the balance of the remaining unused annual service inspections for the purchased Maintenance Plan option, excluding any and all used and/or forfeited annual service inspections. This Agreement is not being sold in any jurisdiction in which the sale or performance of this Agreement is not permitted pursuant to applicable law at the time of purchase. Any such sale is void ab initio and of no force and effect and will not be deemed a cancellation. You will receive a full refund provided no services have been provided by Tesla.

My experience going in for my first service after going over 50k miles ( now at 62k) now under ESA was not much different. I suspect it will change more as policies get more firmed up, but mostly I suspect there will be some variability depending on how busy a particular SC is. In San Antonio they are not very busy, so I think they are going to try to fill their time to keep people working.

I'm still unclear on what is required to keep the ESA requirements met. People SAY a lot of things, but legally it's what is written that counts. What is written is to follow what is in the Owners Manual, and that is some rather nebulous time-based guidelines. What was determined fo my particular case was to change the brake fluid (they are supposed to test it, but said they had no procedure to do that yet), and do the a/c service. They still did all the normal checks. Total bill around $500.

When I asked how long before I needed to come back for service, she said 2 years. I'm just repeating what she told me -- I'll continue to do what is written...

I just reached out to Tesla and they said no refunds could be processed until I completed their cancellation form. I sent back an email, asking how I could complete a “cancellation” form, when I did not cancel, Tesla cancelled.

I mean, I have no problem completing the form but shouldn’t it be accurate? I think their unilateral cancellation of the program violates the terms of the agreement they drafted, which might require some remedy beyond a simple percentage refund.

Anyone else having problems email [email protected], my emails are bouncing back.

The service center told me that if I pay out of pocket/ a la carte, the 3rd year service is $300 (filter(s), tire rotation/windshield blades/fob batteries) and the 4th year is $1,000 (all of the above, plus wheel alignment, brake check/fluid, a/c recharge).

How much did people get back from Tesla, on cancelling the 3rd and 4th year of service plan?

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone else having problems email [email protected], my emails are bouncing back.

The service center told me that if I pay out of pocket/ a la carte, the 3rd year service is $300 (filter(s), tire rotation/blade/fob batteries) and the 4th year is $1,000 (all of the above, plus wheel alignment, brake check/fluid, a/c recharge).

How much did people get back from Tesla, on cancelling the 3rd/4th year of service plan?

Thanks

I have a 3 yr plan. Last time I was in, they said they would honor my 3rd visit, which based on their new calculation was not yet due. We’ll see..