Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Baseless?, um ok.

$40K price drop speaks for itself.

Within the next 2 years both will be gone if not sooner.
That's a bit out of context, no?

I'm not a fan of plummeting values, but they were raised during COVID. It wasn't intended to be 100k+ vehicle.

That's a wild leap to "they will get rid of them".

Baseless?, um ok.

40k price drop is a meaningless number without knowing the profit margin per vehicle.
Tesla could have been bending the customers over and cashing in on every penny they could while the market was hot.

The market has cooled off significantly, Tesla had no choice but to adjust accordingly.

Baseless?, um ok.

You think a price drop is evidence Tesla is killing their halo cars? Lol.

Maybe you need a refresher as to where those prices have been in the past, because this ain't the first time this has happened: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1F5IQOynIawoXiJPVarLDgPQDJAdzY8b5Vamw-Vf3eSY/htmlview.

No disrespect to those that bought high, but those $100-120k price points were ludicrous in the first place, and were simply Tesla pulling a money grab in a market where people couldn't get ANY cars.

Not saying S and X won't get massively overhauled in another 4-6 years, but yeah, they're going nowhere.

Reactions: SO16
40k price drop is a meaningless number without knowing the profit margin per vehicle.
Tesla could have been bending the customers over and cashing in on every penny they could while the market was hot.

The market has cooled off significantly, Tesla had no choice but to adjust accordingly.
I bet their BOM cost for the s and x are in the $40-$60 range.

Edit “k”

X and S are sinking ships

In what way?
Baseless?, um ok.

Tesla has dropped prices on all of their models. Main reason is to keep volume of sales up while interest rates are high and the fed is trying to cool off big purchases and financing. There is absolutely nothing indicating that the S or X are phasing out anytime soon.

Rumors are they will be releasing a Model 3 Plaid. Given Elon’s past comments on the S/X being built for “sentimental reasons” combined with his strategy of getting cheaper EV cars to the masses to help the environment, does that leave a place for an expensive complicated car?
I seriously doubt there will be an M3 Plaid. That’s almost an oxymoron. There no way they could price it where it doesn’t make sense to just buy an MS Plaid instead. And if they do, it would just cannibalize MSP sales and margins.

History dictates that 99.44% of all Tesla “rumors” are made up by Like-button desperate YouTubers.

Last edited:
Price drop was likely necessary to increase the sale in the competitive market. Others do price drops with large incentives, its not unheard of for Audi and BMW to have $20k off or even more on the sly.

Depreciations on these vehicles is killer though. Looks like on 3 year lease with Tesla depreciation is almost 60% Mercedes EV sedans I think depreciation is 70% in 3-years. Interestingly Audi e-tron GT is 44% depreciation in 3-years with the cash on the table. Taycan residuals also sinking like a rock.

Depreciation on EV's is generally worse than on combustion. I am wondering why is that?

Reactions: ginmqi