Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Elon Musk Says Update 8.1 Coming in 10 Days or So

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might have to run out to the garage and see if I have it. My first update! It's like Christmas in July!

Except that it's March, and fan speeds are a bit weird for a Christmas gift, but I better not complain, or I'll get nothing but coal in my next update!

Oh, I don't know that many are whining around here. Much of the conversation appears to be done with a smile and a wink. It's a bit of fun. ;)

I agree that having a car that gets firmware updates OTA is one of the less touted features of a Tesla but, by far, one of the most amazing. When I tell folks about that, just about every reaction includes a hefty handful of "WOW!"

2.52.22 ->17.10.42 today

loving the new fan software

(there also seems to be a lot of other discrete improvements includingAP which instead of truck lust is now doutright scared of trucks and hugs the side of the lane to keep away from them lol; and also I think the power steering sensitivity is further improved which is nice, just a bit of polish here and there, car just gets better and better).

bring on 8.1 for some bigger steps hopefully

Also seriously need some map updates to fix the holes in the data that has AP defaulting to 45mph in places. Navigon or whomever really need to get their act together on this.

So when 8.1 does roll out.. whenever it does. Are we assuming it comes with full speed Autosteer? to like 80mph or so? Musk said in response to when will 8.1 rollout, he said 'pending test results of full speed auto steer" Is it safe to assume that 8.1 includes autosteer at full speed?

Three "weasel tells" in a single sentence:
  1. but prob
  2. or so
  3. depending on
So, "10 days"?

My wife still orders me to turn off autosteer (AKA drunk mode) whenever I "take the risk" and turn it on...and she's right.
Disgree. I love AP; you just have to know its limitations and when it is at its best. Not for the faint of heart, but so far ahead of its time.

Reactions: Nevek
So when 8.1 does roll out.. whenever it does. Are we assuming it comes with full speed Autosteer? to like 80mph or so? Musk said in response to when will 8.1 rollout, he said 'pending test results of full speed auto steer" Is it safe to assume that 8.1 includes autosteer at full speed?

as far as im aware mine doesnt have a limit i was using it at 90+ at the weekend and i knocked it off because of traffic...

Surprise - 10 days, and no update.

While Mr. Musk's statement was conditional, I think all Tesla owners have come to at least acknowledge, if not outright accept, the fact that these time estimates are not much more than a carrot on the end of a stick - trying to keep the loyal excited about receiving features that should have been available to use at the time they were purchased.

I knew before I received my MS90D that it would not have AP2 working, but I was a little surprised by all the "simpler" features that still didn't (or don't) work - auto wipers, auto headlight dimming, fully functional Homelink system, Auto braking, etc...Just seems like the more inaccurate (or misleading) the information Elon puts out is, the more likely there will be a group of frustrated owners ready to start a fraud claim...add to that anyone who suffers damage or injury do to the lack of advertised safety features, and the Tesla fan boy society will be in dire need of a new group of cheerleaders.... I wish he'd just announce updates / changes when they were road-worthy and fully functional, but that's not his way of doing business.

That said, I love my car, and I am still looking forward to getting 8.1 soon (please !!!)

• Love
Reactions: davidc18