Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who knows the real story, but the media is painting a picture of Manchin potentially softening. From the linked article:

Manchin told reporters after the call he and Biden had “a nice conversation” and that he is “engaged” with the president.

He said he and Biden “were just talking” about “different iterations” of the legislation.

Asked if the $2 trillion bill could pass by Christmas, Manchin replied, “Anything is possible.”

He declined to say how long the call lasted or what he and the president discussed specifically, and his office released a statement describing the conversation as “productive.”

“They will continue to talk over the coming days,” it said.

Asked Monday evening if enough progress had been made for him to vote on a motion to proceed to the bill, Manchin replied, “That’s what we’re talking” about.

Biden tries to budge Manchin
I'm not sure if he's softening. He also states that he thinks the bill is full of gimmicks... which it is. He wants to see a bill with less items and funded for the full 10 years. But he also wants it under 2T, which is impossible. I believe he actually supports most of the items in the bill on an individual basis but wants them paid for and properly funded. He has issues with cost, inflation, and the way the bill is poorly put together. All legitimate issues in my opinion. I'm really not seeing how is supports this bill in it's current state.

On another note. Anyone notice that Krysten Sinema is no longer in the discussion? What's going on there? Is she fully onboard now?

??? I’ve never seen a paywall in front of this and can access it from personal and work. So not sure.

In short, they see no chance Manchin folds on the cost and inflation. He’s gone so far to mention leaving the Democratic Party - the thinking is this bill is currently so expensive and left leaning he will surely lose the next election if he signs off. At this point he’s gone too far to agree.

btw: both Canada and Mexico are threatening official complaints. They both claim that the EV credit structure does not comply with the current North American trade treaties.

Opinion piece but makes a compelling case for why this won’t pass. If uncertainty is what they wanted it’s certainly been accomplished.

Just FYI, this is the Op-Ed section that has a diverse set of opinion pieces from different folks with differing backgrounds, political leanings, etc. In this case, the author (https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/henry-olsen/) very likely doesn't care for the BBB or for it to pass, so I wouldn't really read too much into this at the moment. Op-Eds are opinion pieces, not on-the-ground reporting.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Just FYI, this is the Op-Ed section that has a diverse set of opinion pieces from different folks with differing backgrounds, political leanings, etc. In this case, the author (https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/henry-olsen/) very likely doesn't care for the BBB or for it to pass, so I wouldn't really read too much into this at the moment. Op-Eds are opinion pieces, not on-the-ground reporting.
True. I probably should’ve started my post by saying “Opinion piece…”. Oh wait… :cool:

Reactions: FlatSix911
Point is the passage hinges on Manchin. 100%. So right now there’s a lot of interest on what one man will do and his motivations. You have an opinion. I have an opinion. The author has an opinion. Everything is an opinion until Manchin speaks and there is a vote.

Thought it was interesting and raised some intriguing points. Nothing more. Nothing less. And I labeled it opinion to start.

Uh oh!!!

"Two congressional sources said a vote could be delayed until March. The sources asked to speak anonymously in order to provide frank assessments of internal discussions."
Damn I really hope they do not change the Delivery date text on the legislation if it passes in March. Otherwise I would have just taken delivery of my MY much sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep they are pretty much out of time at this point to have a prayer by Christmas, the inflation scores sealed it’s fate for this year with manchin I think. He just Dosent seem to be in any rush.
Also tweet from NBC senate reporter:

“Another reason why BBB not gonna happen by Christmas: The process w the parliamentarian is taking a long time. Senate Finance still hasn’t begun the bipartisan “Byrd bath” process, per Wyden, who told us earlier this week there were more than 20 issues outstanding on his piece”

It’s not looking good for passage before Christmas. Let’s just hope they keep the Dec 31st date language in the bill if it gets passed next year. https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/12/15/biden-manchin-spending-democrats/
This would be great for many of us taking delivery in January. But, I'm over it. I doubt any of us here really need the credit anyway. I am personally divesting myself from this discussion and moving on to looking forward to delivery (whenever that may be)

btw: both Canada and Mexico are threatening official complaints. They both claim that the EV credit structure does not comply with the current North American trade treaties.

they’re really only referring to the made in USA part. Not the basic credit.

Reactions: Budshark