Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you going to be able to put your order on hold without losing your deposit?

It's going to be a weird situation, particularly as you get closer to the end of year and Tesla wants to crank out deliveries while people want to delay them.

I can see Tesla doing something short term, but not by fiddling with the FSD pricing, that would cause some serious anger.
People put their orders on hold all the time. then when you're ready you just click im ready in your account. If they get rid of that. im willing to lose 250 to save 8000

idk what the best solution is but they will have to do something and i think FSD price is the only thing that wont hit the botom line that bad

I kept a screenshot of the January estimated date when I ordered in case they try to pressure me to take delivery earlier. While they moved the date up, I have no plans to accept delivery before January.

People put their orders on hold all the time. then when you're ready you just click im ready in your account. If they get rid of that. im willing to lose 250 to save 8000

idk what the best solution is but they will have to do something and i think FSD price is the only thing that wont hit the botom line that bad
I'm not as sure.

Even if tons of people opt to delay their orders (I agree, it seems likely), seems like a fair number of people would be willing to pay a bit extra to get their cars delivered 4-6 months sooner. Also, Tesla is sitting on $4,000 in price hikes. While their costs have gone up some, they have plenty of room to play and still make a decent profit if that's what it takes to motivate people to jump.

I'm not as sure.

Even if tons of people opt to delay their orders (I agree, it seems likely), seems like a fair number of people would be willing to pay a bit extra to get their cars delivered 4-6 months sooner. Also, Tesla is sitting on $4,000 in price hikes. While their costs have gone up some, they have plenty of room to play and still make a decent profit if that's what it takes to motivate people to jump.
I hope youre right because i dont want their stock to drop from lack of demand fud

I also hope that the EV bill passes and is just made usable by anyone buying after OCT 1..

Otherwise it sabotages all ev sales and thats the opposite of what its supposed to do

albiet temporarily

It only sabotages Tesla. Everyone else has the current credit. GM's Bolt is out of production until the battery issue is resolved.
As much as i would like to disagree with this, it is the truth, no one else would suffer from tax credit starting next year (i know nissan but Aria is not out yet, and the leaf..... is the leaf) and by as much love as the gov. Has shown Tesla its easy to see how they will do this and not even say the word "Tesla" when ask about it

Reactions: FlatSix911
By the time the tax credits come around would it even be worth selling my ‘21 MY LR black int, Inductions, no FSD or hitch to upgrade to a Performance model like I can now at literally no cost? Who know what places like Vroom, CarMax and carbuyerusa .com will be offering then. I do want to wait for the Texas plant to start building MYP’s with one mold, but like I said I may lose out on what I can get now for no additional cost.

rrently I can get just under 62K for mine but what I would have to do is place an order for a MYP and then sell mine at that time when it’s available in a couple of months from now. I am sure I can still get around the same amount I’m getting now but I am unsure what I’ll be getting next year when the tax credits come out.

Last edited:
that is not enough to convince people to forget 8k
Certainly not enough to convince ME to forget 8K!
Agreed. From a "cost of goods sold" standpoint, it costs them nothing. There's the risk of angering previous FSD purchasers and potential lost subscriptions but Q4 would probably be pretty ugly, albeit looking forward to a blockbuster Q1.

Sounds like you should buy a frigging diesel. Nobody charges an EV on 110V
This was at Carmax. They had a 2020 Standard plus with FSD. I asked them if they had charged it. They said yes. I showed up and it had about 40 miles of charge (Carmax had the 110v). I needed to go to a Supercharger before I could drive home (50 miles).

I have a level 2 charger at my house. I got it installed for the two Teslas I have on order. The Standard would have been to commute with.

There are no other Union cars for sale in the US today that would benefit (mustang is build in Mex. and would not qualify) the bolt would have been the only one, but sales are on hold right now

There is a huge hole in the current draft which allows PHEVs to take advantage of the tax credit.

They don't get as much as a BEV, but they get the base $4,000 plus it qualifies them for the Union clause.

Which means a Wrangler Rubicon PHEV with a tiny 10kWh battery which gets 20MPG will get an $8500 "Green" rebate while a Tesla gets $8,000.

It's a joke.

I disagree. They are booked out now but when the tax incentive comes out i think 90% of those ppl (including me) will put their orders on hold until the incentive comes out unless there is some sort of incentive to buy.

They need to get as much sold before is signed as possible or they will have to do something. The demand will drop off a cliff temporarily.
I too usually assume everyone knows what I know. This time I think most people are not tracking this news item as much as we are.

It would make far more sense for Tesla to do a promotional subscription rate for new buyers. Maybe 6 months at $99 or even 2-3 months free.
You are saying people are willing to forgo $8k for delaying their car for two months in exchange for a $600 promotion? That’s not going to get many folks to bite. As soon as the legislation passes and if 1/1/2022 is in the language I am emailing my SA to put my order on hold. Otherwise I will just say I am out of town during delivery and get kicked to the back of the queue. It’s that simple.