Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other question to consider is just how much more will Tesla increase prices across the board by the time the bill passes, if it does. That'll certainly help negate the benefit of waiting, albeit I'm sure we wouldn't see anything close to a $7500 increase. Then at that time, assuming the chip shortage doesn't improve considerably, wait times could also increase exponentially with the number of orders they'll be receiving.
But it would be worth it for people that are price locked, especially if it ends up only being a few week/month wait. $7500 is more than the average person makes in a month.

My EDD just slipped back to Nov 16 - Dec 14. I'm certainly happy to delay some to try and get possible incentive money.

As an aside has anyone found that Tesla has slowed down a lot when recalculating trade values after your 30 day window has expired? Going on 6 days now waiting to see how the value has shifted.

My EDD just slipped back to Nov 16 - Dec 14. I'm certainly happy to delay some to try and get possible incentive money.

As an aside has anyone found that Tesla has slowed down a lot when recalculating trade values after your 30 day window has expired? Going on 6 days now waiting to see how the value has shifted.
I got the notice that mine expired this weekend. I updated the odometer and had a new offer ($200 lower) the next day.

Mine was just pushed to 12/1. They threatened to cancel my order if I wanted to delay longer. Question is what will my EDD be on 12/1? Do they shut down for xmas? What if I'm on holiday?
Huh, that's interesting. I have an order from April that I never finished completing my details so it is on hold in a sense. No issues so far, but I wonder if someone will just go ahead and cancel it or try to force me to get the ball rolling.

All that being said, I suspect you can still put off your delivery till next year if you would like to. Worst case, you just claim you are away on vacation the week your car is going to be around for pickup at which point your order will get delayed by a bit and that may be sufficient to get you to 2022.

Huh, that's interesting. I have an order from April that I never finished completing my details so it is on hold in a sense. No issues so far, but I wonder if someone will just go ahead and cancel it or try to force me to get the ball rolling.

All that being said, I suspect you can still put off your delivery till next year if you would like to. Worst case, you just claim you are away on vacation the week your car is going to be around for pickup at which point your order will get delayed by a bit and that may be sufficient to get you to 2022.
If something passes for 1.1.22, I'm thinking a lot of folks will be going on "vacation" for December.

If it's a point-of-sale rebate, you'd have lots of work to make it retro-active on sales that already happened and were settlled.

If you make it a tax credit on income tax, and again try to apply it retroactively into sales during 2021, you'd have people needing to re-calculate and re-file 2021 taxes for the car they bought in late 2021.

All proposed legislation I've seen uses sold-on (delivery) date for qualification, and Jan 1 2022 as the effective date - putting all makers on the same footing, and cleanly making the tax change only hit 2022 tax year.

It would be nice to have retroactive $7.5k clear back as far as possible.... it just doesn't seem at all likely, assuming we get anything at all thru congress.
There is pretty much zero chance of anything being retroactive if anything passes at all.

If a bill passes with a point-of-sale tax credit, all Tesla will need to know is how much you made last year. Last I read, anyone making over $400k individual or $800k jointly will be ineligible. At least I assume Tesla needs to know. Not sure how it would work exactly. Maybe you pay whatever Tesla wants and you get your money from Uncle Sam relatively quickly.
Thats the house version, the senate version is FAR lower 100k per household max, 40k max vehicle cost pretty much making tesla ineligible. The house version as written is a pipe dream.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thats the house version, the senate version is FAR lower 100k per household max, 40k max vehicle cost pretty much making tesla ineligible. The house version as written is a pipe dream.
I don't believe there is a Senate version. The lower limits you mention are from a non-binding vote the Senate took a few months ago to move the process forward. The House version is what is planned to move forward, but will have to be revised to get Senate agreement before the House goes ahead with it.

I don't believe there is a Senate version. The lower limits you mention are from a non-binding vote the Senate took a few months ago to move the process forward. The House version is what is planned to move forward, but will have to be revised to get Senate agreement before the House goes ahead with it.
Any idea when we'll know something?

Correct I should have been more clear. The house has massive cutting to do to have a prayer of this getting passed. Slashing the EV tax credits to make them much more narrow to keep higher priority issues somewhat intact like universal pre k is going to be a no brainer for them.

The other question to consider is just how much more will Tesla increase prices across the board by the time the bill passes, if it does. That'll certainly help negate the benefit of waiting, albeit I'm sure we wouldn't see anything close to a $7500 increase. Then at that time, assuming the chip shortage doesn't improve considerably, wait times could also increase exponentially with the number of orders they'll be receiving.
Well being honest they pretty much are there as far as increasing prices for tax credits. And I know inflation is real but SR 3 was as low as 36990 and its now 41990 thats 5k. And model Y was at some point $48990 and its now $54990 thats $6k. I can see Tesla increasing another couple of thousand and that would mean that you would be even if you bought then or now.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I think the current idea is to cut back on the years these programs run and essentially lower the "3.5 T number". I just got my VIN for a Model Y - I need to figure out if they are will to let me put the order on hold till 2022. I don't even know what to say...

I think the current idea is to cut back on the years these programs run and essentially lower the "3.5 T number". I just got my VIN for a Model Y - I need to figure out if they are will to let me put the order on hold till 2022. I don't even know what to say...
I'm in the same boat...got my VIN and text message today for my Model 3 AWD....was hoping to be a few more weeks!

I want to hold at least until we get more clarity on this bill passing and what will be in it (hopefully by 10/29)....but not sure how to approach it and what to say. 10K is a lot of cash to miss out on! Not to mention how it will impact resale value.

Questions for you all:

1) Should I just sit on it (get a couple more days) and not respond until I get a reminder?
2) Or should I just confirm the order and put a hold on it once I have an assigned delivery date?
3) How should I approach the hold request? Let them know I am on vacation? Level with them about the tax credit? Use some other excuse?
4) How long will they hold it without releasing it to someone else?

Grrrr...decisions, decisions...

I'm in the same boat...got my VIN and text message today for my Model 3 AWD....was hoping to be a few more weeks!

I want to hold at least until we get more clarity on this bill passing and what will be in it (hopefully by 10/29)....but not sure how to approach it and what to say. 10K is a lot of cash to miss out on! Not to mention how it will impact resale value.

Questions for you all:

1) Should I just sit on it (get a couple more days) and not respond until I get a reminder?
2) Or should I just confirm the order and put a hold on it once I have an assigned delivery date?
3) How should I approach the hold request? Let them know I am on vacation? Level with them about the tax credit? Use some other excuse?
4) How long will they hold it without releasing it to someone else?

Grrrr...decisions, decisions...
Was in the same situation and I just reached out to tell my SA that I was unable to take delivery until the end of the month. I asked him to pass on the VIN I was assigned and rematch to another once I was ready. He put it on hold right away with no questions.

I was worried this would cause a delay when taking it off hold but I actually did this earlier in September when my delivery date fell during an east coast trip. The order was on hold until 9/27 and I was assigned a new VIN on 10/7. So it took 1.5 weeks after releasing my hold to get another VIN.

Was in the same situation and I just reached out to tell my SA that I was unable to take delivery until the end of the month. I asked him to pass on the VIN I was assigned and rematch to another once I was ready. He put it on hold right away with no questions.

I was worried this would cause a delay when taking it off hold but I actually did this earlier in September when my delivery date fell during an east coast trip. The order was on hold until 9/27 and I was assigned a new VIN on 10/7. So it took 1.5 weeks after releasing my hold to get another VIN.
Thanks PNW...should I wait on responding to the text message and maximize the time until they remind me again? Or should I acknowledge the message and click the "Proceed with Delivery" button staring at me on my Tesla Portal and then call my SA to place it on hold?