Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You ignore those who would not buy the Tesla without the incentive because of their cost.
Tesla buyers are getting nothing today, yet Tesla cannot keep up with demand.

Interesting piece in NYT today (paywalled) about grid tied solar and EV chargers stressing aging grids, a point I made earlier...

Here is the byline / TLDR but it contains some specific examples in CA and NY where solar and EV use delayed and/or causing problems with underinvested/overutlized equipment.

Some people and businesses seeking to use solar panels, batteries and electric vehicles find they can’t because utility equipment needs an upgrade.

More details Electrek.

"The framework doesn’t include the details of the program.
We listed all the main changes to the program when it was first announced earlier this year:

• Remove the 200,000 vehicles per manufacturer cap
  • Keep the $7,500 incentive for new electric cars for 5 years
  • Make the $7,500 incentive a point-of-sale discount instead of tax credit
    • EVs with battery pack smaller than 40 kWh are limited to a $4,000 incentive
  • Add an additional $4,500 for EV assembled at union factories
  • Add another $500 for EVs using battery packs with 50% of components (including cells) are made in the US
  • After the first 5 years, the $7,500 becomes only for US-made electric vehicles and it applies for another 5 years.
  • They introduce price limits on the EVs eligible for the incentives:
    • Sedans under $55,000
    • SUVs under $69,000
    • Pickup trucks under $74,000
    • Vans under $54,000
  • They are also introducing caps on income to get access to the incentives, but they are fairly high at an adjusted gross income of up to $400,000 for individuals and up to $800,000 for joint filers."

• Add another $500 for EVs using battery packs with 50% of components (including cells) are made in the US
  • After the first 5 years, the $7,500 becomes only for US-made electric vehicles and it applies for another 5 years.
So they are leaving the BS in where GM & Ford get more money for making PHEVs than Tesla makes to produce full on BEVs.

🤬🤯🤬:mad:

Reactions: FlatSix911
More details Electrek.

"The framework doesn’t include the details of the program.
We listed all the main changes to the program when it was first announced earlier this year:

• Remove the 200,000 vehicles per manufacturer cap
  • They introduce price limits on the EVs eligible for the incentives:
    • Sedans under $55,000
    • SUVs under $69,000
    • Pickup trucks under $74,000
    • Vans under $54,000
  • They are also introducing caps on income to get access to the incentives, but they are fairly high at an adjusted gross income of up to $400,000 for individuals and up to $800,000 for joint filers."
Actually this is zero new details. Not surprising...

• Funny
You can't exactly time Tesla deliveries though... you put your order on hold then suddenly the tax credit is restored there are going to be thousands of unholds and you might get your car 3-6 months later than expected (June instead of Jan).

As long as you don't need the car... you should be fine.
I don't need it, but I want the car lol. I have a LR also on order scheduled for March (was planning on getting it later though). If the tax credit passes, I'll probably delay the MYP and just take which ever one delivers first. Then put myself back of the line for the other and get it end of next year or when significant changes are made (battery pack).

If a company hasn’t burned through their 200k units, does this take precidence?

If so, this would make a lot of Rivian who were previously eligible ineligible now.

EDIT: I know there is a provision which prevents double-dipping. Just wondering if it will DQ some shipping vehicles.

EDIT EDIT: Looks like they are leaving the previous measure in place so it won’t impact existing Rivian buyers.

Last edited:
This NPR article has the newest document linked that was unveiled today (I think?).
Biden unveils a smaller spending framework. But all Democrats are not onboard
The "Greening the Fleet and Alternative Vehicles" starts the section about the tax credit, on page 1240.
Sounds like some of the Tesla stuff will qualify, but maybe not all of it, based on MSRP.
And I'm not great at reading all of the legal-eze, but perhaps that it will not be retroactive for this year, but rather will not start until 1/1/2022 (see pg 1247 about 12/31/2021).

This NPR article has the newest document linked that was unveiled today (I think?).
Biden unveils a smaller spending framework. But all Democrats are not onboard
The "Greening the Fleet and Alternative Vehicles" starts the section about the tax credit, on page 1240.
Sounds like some of the Tesla stuff will qualify, but maybe not all of it, based on MSRP.
And I'm not great at reading all of the legal-eze, but perhaps that it will not be retroactive for this year, but rather will not start until 1/1/2022 (see pg 1247 about 12/31/2021).
Looks like the House version made it. Income caps at $400K (Single) $800K (Married) and vehicle upper limits are $55K for cars and $69K for SUVs. Also, very clear that it is effective 1/1/2022.

Looks like the House version made it. Income caps at $400K (Single) $800K (Married) and vehicle upper limits are $55K for cars and $69K for SUVs. Also, very clear that it is effective 1/1/2022.
Agreed. It’ll create some interesting incentives — and possibly massive short-term disruption — if it passes. Reluctant to put my order on hold when I’m so close to delivery because it could be many months before I get another…

So they are leaving the BS in where GM & Ford get more money for making PHEVs than Tesla makes to produce full on BEVs.

🤬🤯🤬:mad:
Leaving the union aspect out of it...
There are battery requirement minimums AND gasoline capacity maximums for PHEV's. The combination greatly reduces the credits applied towards them. Read page 1241-42:
Before 2027
40kwh minimum battery pack
2.5gal maximum gas tank

After 2027
50kwh minimum battery pack
2.5gal maximum gas tank

This looks sorta like a BMW i3 style consolation. Not tracking PHEV's enough know who else would be assisted by this weird "straddle".

You can read the legislative text based on the new framework here:

H.R.5376–Build Back Better Act

I'll save you the trouble. Nothing has changed since September (regarding EVs), its exactly the same.
I got excited when I read an extra $4,500 for Domestic Assembly, but the definition of that means a unionized plant. I'm still excited about the $8,000 though.
Edit: $8,000 for Tesla

Reactions: Ogre