Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there should be some incentives thrown at the november / december deliveries knowing they are getting shafted with this bill.
I have a problem with this victim mentality - you are choosing to "get shafted". Be a problem solver and delay delivery. Your choice.

This may create some delivery target challenges for Tesla, and punish them in the stock market but honestly they are flying so high YoY, a bit of a breather wouldn't be unusual or awful.

Is the Model Y a sedan or SUV?
This is an important distinction since in the proposed legislation sedans are limited to a max purchase price of $55K in order to qualify for the tax credit while an SUV is limited to $69K. The IRS may have no clue if the Model Y is a sedan or SUV and might challenge a person claiming a Model Y.

Here is a US government site which says the Model Y is an SUV. It might be worth keeping this link, or another such link, just in case you have trouble claiming the credit. Once at the linked page, click on the "Specs" tab to see the "EPA Size Class" of the 2021 Model Y.

Official US government source

I have a problem with this victim mentality - you are choosing to "get shafted". Be a problem solver and delay delivery. Your choice.

This may create some delivery target challenges for Tesla, and punish them in the stock market but honestly they are flying so high YoY, a bit of a breather wouldn't be unusual or awful.
Flip side is, if everyone delays orders, they will have one if their lowest quarters in recent memory, but if they keep producing cars they can absolutely shatter records Q1 of 2022.

Reactions: Corndart
Flip side is, if everyone delays orders, they will have one if their lowest quarters in recent memory, but if they keep producing cars they can absolutely shatter records Q1 of 2022.
Tesla has 10 months of backlog customers to tap. I’m sure a fair number of people will be willing to pay a bit more to carve 6 months off their wait times. Particularly those who are over the income threshold. Also, they have Hertz to fill the gaps in.

Tesla has 10 months of backlog customers to tap. I’m sure a fair number of people will be willing to pay a bit more to carve 6 months off their wait times. Particularly those who are over the income threshold. Also, they have Hertz to fill the gaps in.
Oh I'm not saying they won't sell any, it just may not be the constant growth they've been seeing. I could be wrong, especially on the LR, with the wait times they may want to take delivery sooner.

Reactions: Corndart and Ogre
Oh I'm not saying they won't sell any, it just may not be the constant growth they've been seeing. I could be wrong, especially on the LR, with the wait times they may want to take delivery sooner.
I think the more important number for this quarter will be cars produced.

Be interesting to see how Wall street interprets this quarter’s results. Maybe a potential buying opp.

Don't forget the MY and M3 target a different income bracket than the S and X (which aren't eligible for the incentive anyhow). The MY and M3 buyers are less likely to be means tested out of the tax incentives range.
I think the more important number for this quarter will be cars produced.

Be interesting to see how Wall street interprets this quarter’s results. Maybe a potential buying opp.
Sure but a car sitting not delivered is a liability on a balance sheet. My bet is that if this bill passes, they'll miss delivery targets and that will affect their stock. Wall Street is very often "what have you done for me lately", not "what are you going to for me next quarter".

Don't forget the MY and M3 target a different income bracket than the S and X (which aren't eligible for the incentive anyhow). The MY and M3 buyers are less likely to be means tested out of the tax incentives range.

Sure but a car sitting not delivered is a liability on a balance sheet. My bet is that if this bill passes, they'll miss delivery targets and that will affect their stock. Wall Street is very often "what have you done for me lately", not "what are you going to for me next quarter".
unless they gave some incentives to those taking deliveries in november and december. =)

That’s exactly what I was referring to as a buying opportunity!

If they did that I would strongly consider not delaying my order into 2021. TBH I don’t think Tesla has to incentivize any of us in November or December timeframes. If we delay delivery there is a huge backlog of users and it is likely enough of them would want the car now despite pending savings.
Agreed. Our deliver is in the Mid-Nov timeframe. And it's a bit of a "Tesla Tax" both ways. Pay more now as a financial Tesla Tax (to get the thing everyone wants, now), OR bump delivery, go to the end of the line which is now Q2 for MY, and have a Tesla Tax as a time delay. For some, it may be related to our current vehicle's condition and the timing/need of a vehicle now (as is our case), versus the flexibility of bumping to next year and saving some money. And also agree that enough people waiting in the long line would gladly take the spot in 2021 of anyone who bumps their delivery to 2022.

why wouldn't they just deliver these orders to Hertz (or the likes) rather than giving anyone any incentives for 2021 deliveries?
Maybe I missed something, but isn't Hertz getting a bunch of model 3s? And isn't the deal over a couple of years? So Hertz likely doesn't want what would be produced (random MYs that are either MYPs or MYLR in colors other than white over black with 19s), or they may not have the charging infrastructure set up yet?