Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m scheduled to take delivery this Saturday. I just spoke with my SA and he said I’d likely be looking at an April delivery should I put mine on hold. That means I’m roughly looking at paying an extra $2K over the next 6 months to have the car now. Worth it?

It does look like there is more positive movement on all of this and they may be nearing the finish line. Still not a sure thing because things could still implode at any point due to tempers fraying with the 2 holdout Senators and them still refusing to support the bill publicly despite getting pretty much everything they wanted. In any case, this is either going to be passed into law by Jan 1, 2022, or it isn't ever going to happen seeing as this is the last chance to pass something of this nature. I'm feeling good about completing my profile a few days back after the $2K price hike on the MY. I'm currently at $6K below current prices with my order from April and if this bill passes, the extra rebate will be the cherry on top. Being $6K below current prices had me nervous that Tesla may end up canceling my order and it wasn't worth the risk to eke out my "hold" any longer.

Reactions: Corndart
I’m scheduled to take delivery this Saturday. I just spoke with my SA and he said I’d likely be looking at an April delivery should I put mine on hold. That means I’m roughly looking at paying an extra $2K over the next 6 months to have the car now. Worth it?
I’m in a similar boat. Going ahead with mine. I fear the wait is too long otherwise and I need the car.

Personally, I'd pay an extra 2k to not wait 6 months. I went performance because I was told the delivery times were shorter, though so I may not be the best person to ask.

Reactions: Everlast
I’m in a similar boat. Going ahead with mine. I fear the wait is too long otherwise and I need the car.
I must be missing something, but I don't quite follow the math here. If you folks are locked into your current price and deferring to 2022 could net you a $7500 rebate at minimum, how are you looking at only saving around $2K if you take delivery now v.s. sometime in 2022?

To clarify, I meant to say $2K per month over 6 months.
Ah okay, that makes more sense. I guess it all depends on how much an extra $12k in the bank means to you given your financial situation and how desperately you need a Tesla now. I'm pretty conservative with finances and am in no rush to get a new car (my 2008 and 2010 model year cars still work just fine) which is why I managed to somehow struggle against my urge for instant gratification with my April 2021 order and wait it out till now to see if the tax credits came through. But I can certainly understand why others may choose differently.

Or take delivery on Saturday, order another MYLR, get the $10K - $12K tax incentive in 2022, then turn around and sell my 2021? However, used MY prices in 2022 may go down respectively due to the incentive.
Bear in mind there is a means-tested (lower income cap) for a used EV purchase tax credit as well in the current proposal. It may diminish the resale value somewhat, but not the full tax incentive.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk
Here is a copy of the actual bill as of 10-28-2021. The pages of interest for the EV tax credit begin on page 1240.

House bill HR 5376 on 10-28-21

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bill seems even better for Tesla than the original credit of $7500. As I read it, the total credit a Tesla could qualify for would be $12,500. Here is the breakdown:

$4,000 for any plug-in (PHEV or full electric) within certain limits.
$3,500 more for a 40 kWhr or greater battery and a gas tank no greater than 2.5 gallons (I guess this eliminates current PHEVs).
$4,500 more for domestic assembly (I don't see the Union made requirement anymore).
$500 more for "domestic content" (this used to be for US made battery).

I still see the $69K MSRP limit for an SUV, $55K for a sedan, and $74K for a truck.

I still see income limits of $800K for filing joint and $400K for single.