Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to look at any EV incentive policy from a big-picture point of view. If you want to push the population at large towards adapting EVs and build up EV infrastructure along the way, you need to provide incentives for a large swath of the population. PHEVs are also eligible for this rebate and are a great entrypoint for a large section of the population into EVs. A lot of people here turn their nose up in disdain over PHEVs but I'm all for them existing because EVs haven't achieved parity with ICE vehicles just yet to match everyone's personal use cases. Tons of people who would never have considered EVs, are going to be incentivized to go the PHEV route due to the credits...
Exactly how does giving a $9,000 credit to American union made PHEVs with minimal 10kwh batteries for the rest of the decade, do any good for electrification, when the credit for Teslas, all startup EV companies, and all other EVs including the likes of American made VWs is only $8,000? Do you honestly believe that car manufactures will ramp up EVs when they can rake in profits from selling cheap small battery PHEVs, keeping their gas engines humming along - profits up, unions happy. An earlier proposal ended PHEVs in 2025, but I guess the unions, GM, Ford, and Selantis got to them with dollar signs in their eyes. This is the biggest corrupt boondoggle ever.

i think you missed my point. Trade in the old one when the next one comes in next year. Then you will be eligible for the tax credit for the new one that gets delivered in 2022.
Depending on your circumstances, the numbers don't necessarily add up:
  • 8% sales tax on another $60K vehicle: $4800
  • MSRP increase since my original order: $3000
  • Difference between 1st and 2nd year CO ownership tax: $360
  • New order fee: $250
Assuming that I can sell my MY next summer for my original MSRP + destination fee, an 8K tax credit (that I won't see until 2023) would be entirely consumed by the above expenses. Now maybe the used car market remains daffy but it's just as likely that things start to cool down and new car depreciation becomes a thing again. Maybe it's worth taking a chance for those desperate for 4680 cells and/or cast front/rear chassis but at least for someone who ordered in late July, it's anything but a no-brainer.

Exactly how does giving a $9,000 credit to American union made PHEVs with minimal 10kwh batteries for the rest of the decade, do any good for electrification, <snip>
I mean I literally explained it in my earlier post. People need to walk before they can run. Plenty of people are not ready to make the jump to EVs yet. And no matter how bullish everyone here is on EVs, they aren't still up to snuff with ICE vehicles in certain categories and in some use cases. For example, the Pacifica is an excellent PHEV minivan that has no EV competitor at the moment. It absolutely should benefit from tax credits so the general population is drawn to it over a regular ICE vehicle. I'd rather people who would just keep buying ICE vehicles because EVs today don't meet their needs buy a PHEV than another ICE car. A PHEV serves as a great "gateway drug" to the EV experience and once people experience the benefits of an electric vehicle that they mostly never have to worry about filling with gas, they are going to be that much more inclined to buy a regular EV down the line.

If you want to just make everything into absolute black and whites and get on a bitter soapbox to align with your politics, I guess you can keep going down that path but I have no interest in arguing on that front. But I think it is short sighted to be against PHEVs at least in the short term. Just because an EV works well for you, doesn't mean it does for everyone out there, and we are all better served if everyone starts transitioning to EVs/PHEVs over ICE vehicles in the short term.

Depending on your circumstances, the numbers don't necessarily add up:
  • 8% sales tax on another $60K vehicle: $4800
  • MSRP increase since my original order: $3000
  • Difference between 1st and 2nd year CO ownership tax: $360
  • New order fee: $250
Assuming that I can sell my MY next summer for my original MSRP + destination fee, an 8K tax credit (that I won't see until 2023) would be entirely consumed by the above expenses. Now maybe the used car market remains daffy but it's just as likely that things start to cool down and new car depreciation becomes a thing again. Maybe it's worth taking a chance for those desperate for 4680 cells and/or cast front/rear chassis but at least for someone who ordered in late July, it's anything but a no-brainer.
Yup. I thought about maybe placing a new order but I don't think it makes sense.

+$5k: I can sell my car currently to Vroom for $5k over what I paid all in with tax, let's assume that holds (this was their offer before the recent $2k increase)
-$6.2K: The actual car itself is now $6.2k more than when I paid.
-$4.2k: Taxes on the new car, no benefit of offset because I wouldn't be trading in the current one.
-$1.7k: PPF cost that I have on the current one that would need to be redone.
+8k: Tax Credit
$0.9

So I'd end up ahead $900 and out a lot of headache and effort to pull it off. Not really worth it for me.

Reactions: tangible1 and mrwug
Today's video on this topic on YT by BeardedTeslaGuy said that as it stands now this will be a POS incentive. How would POS incentive and income limits work together? Is it based on previous year's numbers? Or based on income in tax year of the purchase. If it is the latter how would it work?

people are paying a premium to have it now. Slightly used going more than new.
The difference is right now there isn’t a credit. Let’s say new cost is $50k and people are willing to pay $55k for used. If there’s a $10k tax credit later then new would be $40k. If (a big if since the market may have changed) they still are willing to pay $5k over new then people would pay $45k for your $50k car, so you won’t be able to sell for a profit later and you will lose all the sales tax from your initial $50k purchase.

Like a lot of people said in this thread earlier, when they ordered early 2021, the price was $5-6k cheaper so they pretty much got the incentive almost.

and there will still be people who will delay their december pick up until after jan 1 to get even more of a savings

im sure tesla will come out with a statement that you will be set back to the "end of the line" if you delay

they will do anything.....and i mean anything.....to have you pick up right up until Q4 end

and there will still be people who will delay their december pick up until after jan 1 to get even more of a savings

im sure tesla will come out with a statement that you will be set back to the "end of the line" if you delay

they will do anything.....and i mean anything.....to have you pick up right up until Q4 end
Something tells me they will be able to get out each and every vehicle produced in Q4 regardless of what they do. I wouldn't expect deliveries to be impacted. I'm sure if they offer vehicles to people with long wait times earlier, there will be people willing to jump on it and miss out on the credit. For many people the tax credit is not as valuable as getting a vehicle today vs. 6-10 months down the road. When you factor in deliveries outside of the US, I don't think Tesla has to worry about any missed deliveries in Q4 due to people waiting on the credit. Hopefully, they allow people to push back delivery without going to the back of the line. I think that would result in a longer line and longer wait times, which is likely starting to cost Tesla sales.

They’ve already kick started demand with the Obama era legislation. We’re way past that point in the adoption curve. We’re now hitting the upslope in the growth curve and manufactures can’t keep up with existing demand.

These incentives will have zero impact on the number of EVs bought or sold for at least another 2-3 years. Doesn’t matter if the incentive is $0 or 20k, Tesla, VW, and Ford, are selling every single BEV they can manufacture.

I think these incentives will have a very big impact on Chevy Bolt/EUV sales once the 2022's are back on the market after the battery recall. I mean you could get a decently equipped Bolt for about $33K minus a $12.5 tax credit.

A brand new 259 mile EV with a 6.5 sec 0-60 for just over a net of $20K should sell very well. There's a lot of them sitting on dealer lots right now. I think they are going back in production in Nov or Dec.

Reactions: theothertom
I think these incentives will have a very big impact on Chevy Bolt/EUV sales once the 2022's are back on the market after the battery recall. I mean you could get a decently equipped Bolt for about $33K minus a $12.5 tax credit.

A brand new 259 mile EV with a 6.5 sec 0-60 for just over a net of $20K should sell very well. There's a lot of them sitting on dealer lots right now. I think they are going back in production in Nov or Dec.

Yeah, a 20K bolt sounds great....especially if I am looking for a new car for a teenage driver.

Though.....seems like there are some loopholes with the bill. For example....lets say, a person is above the $800K income limit. Couldn't they have a family member (like, a living parent who is below the income level), purchase the vehicle, get the credit, and then do a title transfer sales tax free? (here in idaho you can sell a vehicle to a family member sales tax free).

Yeah, a 20K bolt sounds great....especially if I am looking for a new car for a teenage driver.

Though.....seems like there are some loopholes with the bill. For example....lets say, a person is above the $800K income limit. Couldn't they have a family member (like, a living parent who is below the income level), purchase the vehicle, get the credit, and then do a title transfer sales tax free? (here in idaho you can sell a vehicle to a family member sales tax free).
That’s possible but the income limit is so high… If I’ve got $800k of yearly taxable income then I’m probably not going to hassle with it for $10k.

The simplest approach would be to tell the oldest orders still on hold to pick up the vehicle by EOY or have their order cancelled. i.e., put a 3 months max hold limit, and force older holds to make a decision. They are anyway getting a discount almost equal to the benefit we could expect in 2022 from the federal government.

Reactions: jawnly211
Something tells me they will be able to get out each and every vehicle produced in Q4 regardless of what they do. I wouldn't expect deliveries to be impacted. I'm sure if they offer vehicles to people with long wait times earlier, there will be people willing to jump on it and miss out on the credit. For many people the tax credit is not as valuable as getting a vehicle today vs. 6-10 months down the road. When you factor in deliveries outside of the US, I don't think Tesla has to worry about any missed deliveries in Q4 due to people waiting on the credit. Hopefully, they allow people to push back delivery without going to the back of the line. I think that would result in a longer line and longer wait times, which is likely starting to cost Tesla sales.
I ordered when the order page said January. My EDD is 12/16-12/31. If they say my car must be picked up a week before a $8k tax credit or I'll have to wait 6-10 months, then my other Tesla will be my first and last. Tesla isn't the only game in town anymore. I hope they (and their shareholders) realize having a 4-6 week delay in many of their sales has no major long-term impact.

My MY is my favorite car I've had in 40 years. I'm hoping for a long happy relationship with Tesla. I suspect they'll move my EDD many more weeks to the right anyway. They have delayed it twice in the last few weeks.

Reactions: Noflash