Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of tesla buyers were only considering EVs due to the tax credit lowering the price down to a range that they were comfortable with. The RIGHT thing to do is to fix this environment from going to he77. If that means giving the tax credit to get us to a greener environment, i think we should ALL be for that. I don't think the child tax credits should be extended because there is no need for that. People didn't have kids knowing they would get tax breaks. If anything more people in the world creates more pollution.
Did I read that right? You think people buying a 60k luxury car deserve a tax credit over low income families? There are currently lower cost EV's out there if you can't afford a Tesla.

As much as I'd love the tax credit as well, no one buying a luxury car (i.e. Tesla) needs it more than a family struggling with child care. The CTC literally raised families over the poverty line.

The EV tax credits are probably the least significant piece of BBB.

It's not dead yet!

If you read the article all it said is he let them say their piece and stated his position. The house bill that passed is pretty much dead. Changing his mind now after written press statements and interviews declaring he is a no would be political suicide. If there is going to be a BBB it will have to be a new one started from scratch (and go through senate committee this time which manchin said he would demand in an interview) and who knows if it will even include EV credits at all the next time around or if the progressives would even accept a even further cut down bill. Bottom line any prayer of this happening as of now is still a big long shot.

If you read the article all it said is he let them say their piece and stated his position. The house bill that passed is pretty much dead. Changing his mind now after written press statements and interviews declaring he is a no would be political suicide. If there is going to be a BBB it will have to be a new one started from scratch (and go through senate committee this time which manchin said he would demand in an interview) and who knows if it will even include EV credits at all the next time around or if the progressives would even accept a even further cut down bill. Bottom line any prayer of this happening as of now is still a big long shot.
It absolutely wouldn't have to start from scratch. Politicians bluff and change their mind all the time. No doesn't mean No in Washington.

It absolutely wouldn't have to start from scratch. Politicians bluff and change their mind all the time. No doesn't mean No in Washington.
LOL there is zero chance he is going to all of a sudden change his mind and vote for the bill all of a sudden as it is. Zero. Yes politicians change their minds but rarely do they do so when they are this definitive. Flat out just changing his mind now would be political suicide. He pretty much said over the weekend if they wanted something he will vote for they will have to start over and this time go through senate committee. His constituency in his state is widely against the bill in poll after poll. Face facts this bill as it is right now is dead and any new bill is going to have one heck of a mountain to climb.

LOL there is zero chance he is going to all of a sudden change his mind and vote for the bill all of a sudden as it is. Zero. Yes politicians change their minds but rarely do they do so when they are this definitive. Flat out just changing his mind now would be political suicide. He pretty much said over the weekend if they wanted something he will vote for they will have to start over and this time go through senate committee. His constituency in his state is widely against the bill in poll after poll. Face facts this bill as it is right now is dead and any new bill is going to have one heck of a mountain to climb.
WV support BBB by a +43 point margin.

I didn't say he works vote for it as is. Changes have always been expected by everyone. It's a matter of how much will get changed. Changes don't require starting from scratch.

Reactions: jsmay311
I didn't say he works vote for it as is. Changes have always been expected by everyone. It's a matter of how much will get changed. Changes don't require starting from scratch.
To get anywhere near what Manchin says he will possibly accept they pretty much will have to start over. The plan B being floated in the house is a much slimmer version that would be paid over 10 years, pretty much a new bill. He was also adamant of it going through senate committee this time which will make the process even longer and more difficult. And again getting the entire house to stomach any more major cuts, good luck with that. Nothing is impossible but hopes for this are very slim, EV credits included.

Last edited:
Did I read that right? You think people buying a 60k luxury car deserve a tax credit over low income families? There are currently lower cost EV's out there if you can't afford a Tesla.

As much as I'd love the tax credit as well, no one buying a luxury car (i.e. Tesla) needs it more than a family struggling with child care. The CTC literally raised families over the poverty line.

The EV tax credits are probably the least significant piece of BBB.
The ev credit is for everyone making less than 400k. So clearly it’s not for the super rich. I think if you are low income and having trouble paying the rent, perhaps you shouldn’t have kids unless you are in a more stable environment to be able to raise kids. I’m all for helping feed kids giving free food to everyone, free basic shelter, but don’t need child tax credit for that. Also with the way the environment is now, what are these kids going to grow up to inherit? You are saving millions of lives and the planet if everyone became carbon neutral. So definitely incentive ev tax credits. It’s not just Tesla that it applies to either so your claim of luxury vehicle doesn’t apply. You could get a mini, leaf, and others for less than the avarage price of a new car with the credit.

The ev credit is for everyone making less than 400k. So clearly it’s not for the super rich. I think if you are low income and having trouble paying the rent, perhaps you shouldn’t have kids unless you are in a more stable environment to be able to raise kids. I’m all for helping feed kids giving free food to everyone, free basic shelter, but don’t need child tax credit for that. Also with the way the environment is now, what are these kids going to grow up to inherit? You are saving millions of lives and the planet if everyone became carbon neutral. So definitely incentive ev tax credits. It’s not just Tesla that it applies to either so your claim of luxury vehicle doesn’t apply. You could get a mini, leaf, and others for less than the avarage price of a new car with the credit.
Those vehicles you listed though are small subcompacts, not suitable for many families. I just read yesterday that huge full size gas guzzling SUV’s are still selling like crazy even with the insane pricing above MSRP right now. EVs unfortunately still have a ways to go to truly become mainstream credits or no…

Those vehicles you listed though are small subcompacts, not suitable for many families. I just read yesterday that huge full size gas guzzling SUV’s are still selling like crazy even with the insane pricing above MSRP right now. EVs unfortunately still have a ways to go to truly become mainstream credits or no…
i think if families are relying on child tax credit to get children out of poverty, they are not going to be buying full size gas guzzling SUVs. I think the whole argument here is if you could have child tax credit OR EV tax credit, which one should you have. My argument is that don't give child tax credit, but provide free food help, rent help and do ev tax credit. giving someone money for having a child to me sends the wrong message. you don't know if that money really goes towards the child whereas if its food and rent help, that is a more guided help to the family.

Relatively few low income people will be buying new Tesla vehicles regardless of the Tax Credits. They most all buy used cars.

The purpose of the EV tax credits is to incentivize those new car buyers on the edge to choose EV over ICE.

It is not social engineering, nor picking and choosing which special group will gain $ advantage. The underlying goal is to get more EV producing plants to locate in the USA and hire lots of local workers to build the cars.

i think if families are relying on child tax credit to get children out of poverty, they are not going to be buying full size gas guzzling SUVs. I think the whole argument here is if you could have child tax credit OR EV tax credit, which one should you have. My argument is that don't give child tax credit, but provide free food help, rent help and do ev tax credit. giving someone money for having a child to me sends the wrong message. you don't know if that money really goes towards the child whereas if its food and rent help, that is a more guided help to the family.
Ahh ok gotcha. All fair points