Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Events - Syd/Wollongong/Webinars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all - just got this invite from Tesla - few events headed Syd/Wollongong way:

TESLA EVENTS

1692576897714.png

I am going to 24/8 Webinar - may record it if anyones interested. Any questions people want asked?

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Can you ask if they will be moving to 5G for their mobile connectivity (if they haven’t already)?
Other manufacturers are taking a different approach. They use the onboard 4G only for mapping and car to factory comms such as tracking. So bare essentials only. All other user requirements are via a seemlessly tethered phone, so no need for an additional subscription, and if the phone is 5G or satelite than thats what you get in the car for music, browser etc

Other manufacturers are taking a different approach. They use the onboard 4G only for mapping and car to factory comms such as tracking. So bare essentials only. All other user requirements are via a seemlessly tethered phone, so no need for an additional subscription, and if the phone is 5G or satelite than thats what you get in the car for music, browser etc
Fair point

Can't imagine it.. the hardware is a 3G/4G modem

Early Model Ss shipped with 2G/3G and Tesla had an upgrade program (from memory $200-300).

But to be honest until Tesla starts shutting down 4G really no need for an upgrade. The car doesn't need any more bandwidth.
You’re right. It was the longevity of 4G that I was thinking about. Locally the 4G service is really slowing down in places as 5G coverage improves. I guess 4G will be around for quite a number of years to come.

You’re right. It was the longevity of 4G that I was thinking about. Locally the 4G service is really slowing down in places as 5G coverage improves. I guess 4G will be around for quite a number of years to come.
The commercial real estate sector has in the past few years spent a fortune converting fire and lift comms to 4G, so there must be some longevity to it

• Informative
Telstra is closing 3G in June next year. History suggests each ‘G’ lasts for about 20 years. 2G lasted 23 years, from 1993 to 2016. 3G will last nearly 19 years, from 2006 to 2024. 4G launched in 2011, so should be good until around 2030 based on that.

The modem in Teslas is 3G/4G capable. You’d need new hardware to support 5G.

The modem in my Gen 1 Nissan LEAF was 2G only, and so it lost telematics when Telstra closed 2G down in December 2016. Nissan then belatedly did a warranty replacement of the TCU to a 3G capable one in early 2017. But then Nissan closed down its entire telematics system (called Carwings) in September 2021, and so I now have a “dumb” car 😄.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and MossDaddy
Morning all - just got this invite from Tesla - few events headed Syd/Wollongong way:

TESLA EVENTS

View attachment 966877

I am going to 24/8 Webinar - may record it if anyones interested. Any questions people want asked?
As a soon-to-be owner, I'd love to attend wither of the 24 August or 7 September events (I was invited too). They are both on a Thursday, and that is the only day of the week I am unable to join, so a recording would be super appreciated!

Reactions: MossDaddy
Smart charging to allow excess solar to go into the car automatically - after other demands (household consumption, home battery charging). It is available in North America presently.

I understand this is a timeline question so any answer may have error margins skewed a long way into the future.

Reactions: MossDaddy