Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally makes a CHAdeMO adapter compatible with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Mobile charger, CHademo adapter and green goop kit all in my trunk hole :D

Here is a picture from this post: Canadian CHAdeMO charging

chademoadapter-jpg.429597

Last edited:
But not because Tesla were somehow short sighted or wanted it to be terrible.

CHAdeMO gen 1 (or whatever they call it) is rated at 62.5kW at 500V and 125A, but since Tesla architecture only goes to ~400V, you are limited to 50kW as you hit the Volts * Amps peak at 400 * 125 = 50kW.

CHAdeMO will in future (well, the standard exists I believe, but in the wild it is still relatively new and unsupported, with most "capable" chargers forced to gen 1 speeds intentionally by the operators) update support higher amperages and voltages both, but this would require a new adapter to be made to support it, which won't really make sense to do so since CCS Type 1/2 would still be better, I believe.
200 Amp CHAdeMO is widely available today from the charger manufacturers (ABB, BTC, Efacec, etc). It's just that not many of them have been deployed with that capability turned on to go above 125A. They will be able to go even higher when someone makes a cooled CHAdeMO cable that can go 350A or 500A. 200A is the max without cooling.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Perhaps, but that is a huge difference -- upwards of a 4x difference in allowed power.

I wondered if it might have to do with cable length.
More likely, it has to do with cycle life. The CHAdeMO connectors are quite expensive so they probably want them to last the life of the station. Tesla, on the other hand, replaces Supercharger cables regularly. Whether this was Tesla's intention or not, I will leave to your imagination.

Did you have to shut the car down to charge? EVGo doesn’t seem to work here in San Diego for me, I get a popping sound at the connector and stops the charge in 2 seconds. Submitted a service ticket to check the adapter.

Fred
I had the same thing with my UMC (popping and charging stopped). Ended up being bad UMC so it might be your adapter. I was able to get mine replaced under warranty by describing the problem to the parts department and avoided having to go through service, so you might try that.

Did you have to shut the car down to charge? EVGo doesn’t seem to work here in San Diego for me, I get a popping sound at the connector and stops the charge in 2 seconds. Submitted a service ticket to check the adapter.

Fred

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

This was my first EVGo/CHAdeMO experience, no issues with the connector whatsoever, it actually went surpassingly well.
It was just like plugging the J1772 adapter, well... a much bigger adapter!

I have one of the very first Chademo adapters Tesla ever produced. I purchased it in late 2015 for my previous Model S, after being on the Chademo waiting list for over 3 months.

I tested this same adapter yesterday on an EVGo Chademo charger with the Model 3 and software 2019.24.4:

[01]-Adapter.jpg

[02]-EVGoDisplay.jpg

[03]-M3Display.jpg

SInce this older adapter works fine, it appears that there has been no hardware changes to the adapter. This was only a software update to the Model 3 that was necessary for compatibility, and any Chademo adapter produced by Tesla will work with the Model 3 on software 2019.24.4 or above.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl