Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@HankLloydRight
All software gets deprecated. In Tesla’s eyes they are doing you a favor.
Ah, there is the problem. They are using a tablet software lifecycle model for cars. iPad has a useful life of what about 4-5 years, towards the end it will run the latest software but slow and not full features. So do Tesla's, except that nobody expects to chuck the car after 4-5 years. That, and of course the whole issue that while v6 was designed by a team of people who knew something about driving car experience, the UX which carried through v8, now v9 appears to be designed by web or phone app designers who code up tablet apps for a living. Evidently Elon doesn't get the difference in user experience between an iPad and a car - explains the Atari games too.

Ah, there is the problem. They are using a tablet software lifecycle model for cars. iPad has a useful life of what about 4-5 years, towards the end it will run the latest software but slow and not full features. So do Tesla's, except that nobody expects to chuck the car after 4-5 years. That, and of course the whole issue that while v6 was designed by a team of people who knew something about driving car experience, the UX which carried through v8, now v9 appears to be designed by web or phone app designers who code up tablet apps for a living. Evidently Elon doesn't get the difference in user experience between an iPad and a car - explains the Atari games too.

Look for the eventual Apple App Store or Google Play store on the Tesla tablets. ;)

I understand your point - but at the end of the day, progress can't and shouldn't be halted.

If I yanked out my cell chip when I got the Model X in Dec 2016, I wouldn't even have TACC.

It started off autosteer badly with far worse phantom braking and max speed limits of 25 mph in early 2017.

Eventually the UI/UX will catch up to user feedback and real world usage. Also look for Tesla to standardize on what the Model 3 is doing with the rectangular center screen.

S and X being a premium car probably gets a second display for info sharing, infotainment perhaps.

Last edited:
If I yanked out my cell chip when I got the Model X in Dec 2016, I wouldn't even have TACC.
Please don't get me started on unfinished (or complete vaporware) features Tesla sells and increasingly more often never delivers (or changes the scope of what they do completely, like semi-recent redefinition of what FSD will do, reducing it mostly to what used to be included in EAP). Add to that, the fact that in order to even get the features you paid for, you might have to give up ease of use and performance of other features, or sometimes the complete use of the features (e.g. v9 broke the bowser).

I update my 2015 MS solely for security patches now. For 2018 I also hope they add more safety features (don't use AP so don't really care about changes there, tried it out AP2.5 few weeks ago just for fun and realized it is still not as smooth as AP1!). Part of my work is in cyber-security, so I know all too well the perils of having an unpatched, 24/7 internet connected system. I wish Tesla would offer 8.1 security patches only option.

I suspect somebody at Tesla made the decision for you and it was not “automatic”

Yes, I'm sure of that too. When I went to the first Falcon Heavy launch last year, the TMC member who sold me his extra 'Feel the Heat' ticket (p.s. THANK YOU!!).. he used to work at Tesla in the (I think) small modules area -- door handles, switches, latches, modules, and software, too. He told me that there is one guy there, the 'Firmware Na^H^HKing' who maintains a spreadsheet of everyone who hasn't updated their firmware, and he, and the entire firmware group really, really, despise people who intentionally refuse the software updates. I guess I got close to the top of the list (in age of last update), and got tired of seeing me reject each update request. Even over LTE.

I wonder if those charge port errors were noticed at Tesla, and that's what triggered the unsolicited autoinstall of v9.

It's possible that's what happened. The charge port errors were about two weeks ago, and only lasted two days before the error cleared itself. But the error seemed like the door sensor was faulty, as it would report the charge port door open when it was not. I've had no other errors or problems.

since its older hardware is currently performing just fine on v8.

Yes, this I'm really annoyed at. V9 on MCU1 has a noticeable lag between actions. This was not the case on V8.1. :mad:

but on the dash it says to connect to Wi-Fi,

About a week ago, I did get the 'please connect to wifi for software updates' popup. I cleared it, and then the next popup was the 'you have a software update ready to install' popup. I thought that was funny, and of course, just ignored both. :p

Maybe unpopular opinion but I’ll state it. I think you are being obstinate.

You are entitled to your opinion.
In Tesla’s eyes they are doing you a favor.

And so is Tesla. But there are better ways to go about it. For instance, send me an email first that says 'if you don't update your deprecated v8.1 software soon, it will happen automatically on X date Y time unless you contact us first to change it.'

What if 8.1 firmware is the one that sends cars into gore points or under semi trucks?

Well, all of those things sound like AP2 problems. Luckily I have AP1 which has been rock solid and relatively unchanged for years. I surely dodged a bullet there.

One of the things that really burns by butt about v9 is the removal of the colors of the icons in the Instrument cluster when changing apps with the thumbwheel. I used to be able to tell by peripheral vision which icon was which just by color (nav=red, audio=blue, energy=orange, trips=black/white, etc), but now they're all a single color and can no longer tell without taking my eyes off the road. So to change apps, I now have to divert my eyes to the IC to figure out which app to load, load it, and then divert my eyes again to absorb the information displayed by the app (nav, audio, trips, energy, etc). It's a real safety hazard to force the driver to look away from the road -- and the only reason was a stupid UI decision to REMOVE peripheral cue (color) from the UI. And that's just one example, there are dozens of others in the other V9 threads I won't repeat here.

Hank, you will be ok. I promise ;)
At least give it a try for a week or two before getting too mad.

I know, and I will. Life goes on.
257lwc.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe unpopular opinion but I’ll state it. I think you are being obstinate.

+1000

change is hard. you will get used to it...

You guys are nuts. We are the owners of the car, no one should be able to force it to behave differently than we desire. Force installing an update is ridiculous.

the sooner you realize that Tesla has sold you a cell phone with wheels, the quicker you will understand the landscape you now find yourself as a Tesla owner. Tesla is a Silicon Valley company, built from the ground up by people who cut their teeth during the internet boom of the late 90s-early 2000s. is it really that shocking to you that they are treating your car like a cell phone on wheels?

and to your point about having the car behave differently than we desire.. you know.. I desire to drive my car down the street at 125 miles per hour at all times. I'm an excellent driver with hundreds of hours of track time under my belt.. and I always drive FAST.

but I do my best to adhere to reasonable speed limits.. even tho that's not my desire. the car is capable of 125 miles per hour.. why shouldn't I be allowed to drive it so?

you want a set it and forget it UI? go buy a Volvo. tho I suspect in 15 years other makers will be making on the fly UI changes to their cars just like Tesla is.

@HankLloydRight welcome to the V9 club... nice to have you back in the fold.

And so is Tesla. But there are better ways to go about it. For instance, send me an email first that says 'if you don't update your deprecated v8.1 software soon, it will happen automatically on X date Y time unless you contact us first to change it.'

Tesla is going to do that unless you were Elon Musk or some specialty VIP flagged car.

I'm pretty sure this is how it went down:

VP of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Senior Director of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Director of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Senior Manager of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Manager of Software: Are all cars V9? Make sure this happens.
Deployment Engineer: Yeah all but this one guy.
Manager of Software: Really? Just that guy? F that guy. Push the update. You may fire when ready.
Deployment Engineer: Sir. Yes sir.

VP Of Software to Musk: yes - 100% of cars are now V9.