Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use V8 with camera on top and map on the bottom,

Same here. Camera is always open and always on top -- especially since I have the front camera switch kit I used/need when parking. I use the bottom for everything else: Nav, Media, Energy, Browser (rarely), etc. And when the camera goes away (for whatever reason), it's now TWO taps to get it back. What assine UI decisions.

What I really hate (and this is just spending 2 minutes in the car today) is that to change the map view from Trip,NorthUp, DirectionUp, that button is the furthest away from the driver, it's quite a reach to hit it. When it was on the bottom half of the screen, it was much easier to tap. I'm still convinced that the software developers have never actually used the software in a real car.

Well, they've really stepped to far this time. I am livid.

I've been actively rejecting V9.0 updates to my car since V8.1-2018.18. The last time my car had an update was over a year ago (see EV-FW info below).

But overnight my car got updated.. and much to my horror, shock, and surprise this morning when got in the car, I was greeted with the standard update notice and V9.

Keep in mind that I got home with 11% charge and forgot to plug-in. And my car has not connected to Wi-fi in over a year.

Now I'm not going to go into all "entitled" mode and say I'm going to sue Tesla or start a class-action lawsuit or assault the local service center to roll it back. Because (a) I'm not that kind of person, and (2), I know it's pointless.

I'm just stinking mad that I now have to suffer with the utter bullcrap software that is V9.

The only upside is that now I don't have to be afraid to go in for service. My charge port door was throwing some errors last week, but it resolved itself. Oh yeah, and Teslatari. Woot. :mad:

View attachment 413421
View attachment 413427

View attachment 413429

So are you going to press the new advanced button?

You have my sympathies. Forced update is a violation. Unless you butt-dialed the ok command I suspect somebody at Tesla made the decision for you and it was not “automatic”. If it was about the battery heating update then at least they meant well but they should be able to separate small safety updates from major UI updates.

My charge port door was throwing some errors last week, but it resolved itself.
I wonder if those charge port errors were noticed at Tesla, and that's what triggered the unsolicited autoinstall of v9.

Sorry to read this. I'm dreading the day when they do the same thing to my Model S, since its older hardware is currently performing just fine on v8. It ought to tell Tesla something when the same Model S and X customers who were most excited about changes and getting the latest updates as soon as they came out (heck, even driving by the service center so the geofencing would trigger an update) now avoid them like the plague because of the well-documented performance and functionality regressions.

Hopefully the recent critique of v9's usability by a recognized team of experts in UI design has been read by the right people, and not just dismissed out of hand. Still trust that this will turn around in the next major release.

My 2012 Signature P85 still has version 8. I enjoy version 9 in the 2017. Got an upgrade notice on the iPhone, but on the dash it says to connect to Wi-Fi, so still no upgrade or upgrade icon.

Another notice shows that the 12 volt battery needs replacement, so it will be interesting to see how the service center handles the old software version. Maybe a car museum would like to purchase the Signature Red for an exhibit.

@HankLloydRight

Maybe unpopular opinion but I’ll state it. I think you are being obstinate.

What if 8.1 firmware is the one that sends cars into gore points or under semi trucks?

Tesla wanted to send it to you pretty badly to the point of using cellular data to ship software to you.

All software gets deprecated. In Tesla’s eyes they are doing you a favor.

The overwhelming majority of owners would feel that way as well. They unfortunately offended “that guy”.

As for me, they are welcome to send me nightly builds. :D

Look on the bright side... you now have fart mode. ;)

Oh snap! I totally forgot about that!
So now all is right with the world! Soon you be testing emissions, playing Asteroids, and watching the little toy car with the amazingly bright lights play "ribbon road". You have been assimilated. Enjoy!

I think it's a defect when the newer software takes away functionality that was in the older version of the software. For instance, I use V8 with camera on top and map on the bottom, as I have for all previous versions for over six years. V9 doesn't support that configuration, and that's a problem.
While I also hate v9, your argument is not likely to persevere in court. Imagine if you tried sueing Microsoft for moving a button or some other control in an update. In this case Tesla would say the feature is the rear view camera, not where on the screen it can be, but car not catching on fire is a safety concern which overrides any personal preferences of the UI.

You guys are nuts. We are the owners of the car, no one should be able to force it to behave differently than we desire. Force installing an update is ridiculous.

Are there any other details on that battery safety update? That linked article didn’t really say what they did to make the battery safer. I’m curious if there are any unwanted side effects.

You guys are nuts. We are the owners of the car, no one should be able to force it to behave differently than we desire. Force installing an update is ridiculous.

Are there any other details on that battery safety update? That linked article didn’t really say what they did to make the battery safer. I’m curious if there are any unwanted side effects.

Going to sign the waiver that absolves Tesla of anything related to a firmware you chose not to update?

Tesla updating their software is good faith.

You refusing them is bad faith.

No different but a lot less hassle than other automakers issuing a safety related recall and the DMV not allowing you to renew until you prove its complete. This has happened to me a couple times, once for only a software update.

No different but a lot less hassle than other automakers issuing a safety related recall and the DMV not allowing you to renew until you prove its complete. This has happened to me a couple times, once for only a software update.

I’ve never heard of that, but if I were forced to take a recall fix that also overhauled the UI, I would find that similarly unacceptable.

Last edited: