Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it’s true that holding the fan button icon in ver 9 will turn OFF the HVAC, it is a pain to have to hold the icon for several seconds, whereas before (in ver 8.1) a quick tap would turn OFF the HVAC. However, what annoys me more is that when I hold the fan button icon I also inadvertently touch the driver’s seat heater icon, which turns ON to the low setting (I think it toggles from high to low as the seat heater icon is held). Since I always turn OFF the HVAC whenever I exit the car, I now have to always turn OFF the driver’s seat warmer when I get back in the car. This was not an issue with ver 8.1.
V9 was designed without much consideration for driver experience - it was designed for Level 5 FSD experience, hence it looks like a tablet app.

Oh dear!
MS 17" vertical screen set to be replaced with M3 type screen. (?)
Many screens developing yellow borders but warranty not being honoured by Tesla.
Constant issues as per this thread - software changes to the UI making it difficult to change settings/operate things without taking eyes off road.
I have been waiting several years to buy a MS, have one on a "held" order but have now cancelled it. Having been a huge fan of Musk and what he has achieved it is disappointing to see the brand and especially the MS being treated as a Beta project with users' experiences ignored.

Reactions: am_dmd and Droschke
BTW, under ver 8.1, my 89% charge yielded 227 miles of indicated range, while with ver 9, the same 89% charge yields only 221 miles. I also note that Remote S indicated a 74 kWh capacity while with ver 9, the capacity is decreased 1 kWh to 73 kWr.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
it is disappointing to see the brand and especially the MS being treated as a Beta project with users' experiences ignored.

Very true. About a year or two ago, to my surprise I received a phone call from someone from Tesla. She wanted me to share my ownership experience and provide feedback. It was a lengthy conversation and she apparently was taking notes. I thought that was a nice gesture on part of Tesla and may be the first step in listening to and learning from the owners. But the reality, unfortunately, has been what I'm quoting from your post.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Damn.

Why is Tesla repeatedly giving the shaft to its oldest and most loyal customers? It's like they just don't care anymore, including Elon.

It appears that we are just collateral damage. We're just the people that bought their cars, gave them credibility, sang their praises, referred everyone we could, and then became yesterdays hot dog wrapper. :(

Last edited:
v8 you could also select a single app for the entire screen too (and with no animated nav frame around it / in the background, which just slows down the MCU).

And in V6 and V7... and what was great about V6 was that the apps opened very logically to the top and then you could swap them around. Later on they not only hid the app bar but also made the opening positions of the apps different and frankly illogical (unless you dragged the app) making it all a bit of a mess to operate. V9 was just putting us out of our misery entirely. :D

It appears that we are just collateral damage. We're just the people that bought their cars, gave them credibility, sang their praises, referred everyone we could, and then became yesterdays hot dog wrapper. :(
Sounds pretty hopeless. Maybe all of you screwed S and X owners down by Tesla headquarters could ban together and petition and picket Tesla to fix this. I’ve written several letters to Tesla service, but I’m sure they fell on deaf ears. At this point I’m not disgruntled enough to make much of a stink, but it is kind of sad that I’ve been afraid to update my software for a year now.

Why is Tesla repeatedly giving the shaft to its oldest and most loyal customers? It's like they just don't care anymore, including Elon.
I think things started getting weird already in 2014 with the P85D and rest of the fleet HP hoax and Autopilot 1 started getting promises that never materialized but I agree that was still pretty minor compared to what came later.

Ever since the Signature cars, the pattern evolved. If you own/owned one, you were hit worst on resale, and reliability. Versus other makers limited runs, which tend to better hold value, signature buyers were more like what all high value Tesla buyers have become; people with the opportunity to sponsor Tesla. The asset, or idea of "ownership", for me first seemed to be shat upon with the "Signature" car. The "de-evolution", etc., of other cars since, is consistent with this.

I also think those angered by Version 9 might make better peace with it, if they accept Tesla is out to make autopilot look safer than manual pilot. Added distractions help the statement, "Autopilot is Safer". The shoe fits. Peace.

• Informative
@3mp_kwh The peace I’ve personally made with Tesla is that it has become somewhat of a joke to me. My car is somewhat of a joke to me and the people I know. We tend to laugh about it and the company a lot.

That doesn’t bode well for buying more Teslas but it is what it is. I’m driving it, experiencing the crazy and one day I’ll get probably something else, but personally I’m at peace with being a part of the crazy right now.

• Love
It doesn't bode well for me buying a new Tesla either, but I am only getting to the point where my recommendations have caveats. I don't think they are a joke. I guess it is kind of worse, in a way. At this point, my interests are my "old" cars and helping that community.

• Love
I was also force updated. After the upgrade my s85d acts sick. The center console is black and unresponsive. I rebooted it once with the paddles and everything was erased. I programmed it again for a few settings and then the car wouldn't start for over 5 minutes. What else do I need to reset? It's drivable but keeps taking a long time to "start".

• Informative
I was also force updated. After the upgrade my s85d acts sick. The center console is black and unresponsive. I rebooted it once with the paddles and everything was erased. I programmed it again for a few settings and then the car wouldn't start for over 5 minutes. What else do I need to reset? It's drivable but keeps taking a long time to "start".

Have you tried a factory reset? Or is that what you meant above?

Not sure why there would be decreased range with 16.2. My 2014 85 has version 16.3 just rolled over 72k miles. It showed between 231 and 233 miles at 90% before and after 16.x update. It used to be 235 miles at 90% at 40k miles. Original traction battery and apparently original 12 volt. The original 12 volt battery surprises me. Car is used for daily commute droven in salt treated roads in midwest winters and muggy summers. Motor was just replaced due to noise. I have driven it down to 1% before with no issues.

Last edited:
Not sure why there would be decreased range with 16.2. My 2014 85 has version 16.3 just rolled over 72k miles. It showed between 231 and 233 miles at 90% before and after 16.x update. It used to be 235 miles at 90% at 40k miles. Original traction battery and apparently original 12 volt. The original 12 volt battery surprises me. Car is used for daily commute driven in salt treated roads in midwest winters and muggy summers. Motor was just replaced due to noise. I have driven it down to 1% before with no issues.

Perhaps you did not see this post... Tesla owners see battery range drop after software update to 'improve longevity' - Electrek

Tesla owner David Rasmussen got one of the most severe drops we have seen so far. He told Electrek:

“My 2014 Model S 85 was getting Rated Range of 247 miles until May 13. Now after the next update, it continued to drop to now 217 miles. This is an 11% drop in 5 weeks.” Rasmussen has been plotting the battery capacity degradation of his Model S over the last 100,000 miles or so and the recent drop is quite obvious:

Tesla-Range-Drop.jpg

He went to his local Tesla service center with the issue and like most other owners reporting the same issue, he was told that is “normal degradation” of the battery pack. That’s surprising because previous data showed that Tesla’s battery degradation is limited to less than 10% after over 160,000 miles. We contacted Tesla about the issue and the company confirmed to Electrek that the range reduction is due to the software update. Tesla told us that the goal of the update is to “protect the battery and improve battery longevity” and it resulted in a range loss for only “a small percentage of owners.”

And in V6 and V7... and what was great about V6 was that the apps opened very logically to the top and then you could swap them around. Later on they not only hid the app bar but also made the opening positions of the apps different and frankly illogical (unless you dragged the app) making it all a bit of a mess to operate. V9 was just putting us out of our misery entirely. :D

You can still do that with v8....which I will stay on as long as possible.

So staying connected to my null hotspot has been working. When I get in to drive, I disable wifi and it goes back to LTE. When I park, I re-enable wifi and it reconnects to the hotspot. The downside of course now is that I can't use the app any more so this really is a short term solution until I either root and disable cid updater or find a way to get the car on a hotspot where I can filter the traffic and prevent large file downloads.