Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced to open superchargers to unlock billions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any had facts to back this up?" I think they'll open it up, but non Tesla vehicles will pay higher rates. ""
You mean besides that that is how it works in the UK, Europe, and Australia where they have already opened selected Supercharger sites? (Non-Tesla owners have the option of subscribing to a Tesla Supercharging plan, I think it is about $10/month, to get the same rates that a Tesla owner pays.)

Anyone know if there is supposed to be a single NEVI site to track availability? If we only get 4 stalls every 50 miles it would be nice to see that YES there is an available stall if you get back on the road and drive another 50 miles. I can see that on my Tesla, or the Tesla app, but if the next stall is gonna be EA or EVgo or ChargePoint will the funding cover this sort of info? Especially now that Plugshare is owned by the oil companies that means there are less reliable sources of this info.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there is supposed to be a single NEVI site to track availability? If we only get 4 stalls every 50 miles it would be nice to see that YES there is a free stall if you get back on the road and drive another 50 miles. I can see that on my Tesla, or a Tesla app, but if the next stall is gonna be EA or EVgo or ChargePoint will the funding cover this sort of info? Especially now that Plugshare is owned by the oil companies that means there are less reliable sources of this info.
Charger statuses from Electrify America, EVgo, and ChargePoint are shown on PlugShare so there is an API that does that.

Whether Tesla wants to implement that information in its navigation system is another matter.

Anyone know if there is supposed to be a single NEVI site to track availability? If we only get 4 stalls every 50 miles it would be nice to see that YES there is a free stall if you get back on the road and drive another 50 miles. I can see that on my Tesla, or a Tesla app, but if the next stall is gonna be EA or EVgo or ChargePoint will the funding cover this sort of info?
You should really read through the document, it likely answers all of your questions: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/nevi/resources/ev_charging_min_std_rule_fr.pdf

Part of the NEVI requirements are that the charger has to be part of an open network that allows you to see/pay for them with one single account. I.e. you don't need an account EA, EVgo, ChargePoint, and Tesla, etc. to be able to use any NEVI funded charger.

They have to be compliant with the Open Charge Point Interface (OCPI) and Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP).

(c) Third-Party Data Sharing.
States or other direct recipients must ensure that the following data fields are made available, free of charge, to third-party software developers, via application programming interface:
(1) Unique charging station name or identifier;
(2) Address (street address, city, State, and zip code) of the property where the charging station is located;
(3) Geographic coordinates in decimal degrees of exact charging station location;
(4) Charging station operator name;
(5) Charging network provider name;
(6) Charging station status (operational, under construction, planned, or decommissioned);
(7) Charging station access information:
(i) Charging station access type (public or limited to commercial vehicles);​
(ii) Charging station access days/times (hours of operation for the charging station);​
(8) Charging port information:
(i) Number of charging ports;​
(ii) Unique port identifier;​
(iii) Connector types available by port;​
(iv) Charging level by port (DCFC, AC Level 2, etc.);​
(v) Power delivery rating in kilowatts by port;​
(vi) Accessibility by vehicle with trailer (pull-through stall) by port (yes/no);​
(vii) Real-time status by port in terms defined by Open Charge Point Interface

Given Tesla has historically not wanted to share usage data, this is another reason that they may not want to get any NEVI funding.

Especially now that Plugshare is owned by the oil companies that means there are less reliable sources of this info.
Is that true? EVgo owns Plugshare, and I don't see that an oil company owns EVgo. Did I miss something?

You mean besides that that is how it works in the UK, Europe, and Australia where they have already opened selected Supercharger sites? (Non-Tesla owners have the option of subscribing to a Tesla Supercharging plan, I think it is about $10/month, to get the same rates that a Tesla owner pays.)
In this case, the US government is paying 80% of the cost of the Supercharger and Tesla is only paying 20%.

Since the government is paying most of the cost, I don't see the rationale for charging non-Tesla EV drivers more.

Given Tesla has historically not wanted to share usage data, this is another reason that they may not want to get any NEVI funding.
Wouldn't they only have to share data for the NEVI plugs?

When Tesla DCFC was basically a walled garden (CHAdeMO adapter with 50 kW maximum power was never a real competitor to Tesla superchargers), they had control of basically all of the data involving their cars on road trips. But now with the CCS adapters being sold, that ship has sailed. They have to take into account the fact that a driver could navigate to a SC site to preheat the battery and then charge at a nearby CCS charger.

Oops! Confusing Shell Recharge with EVgo, you are right, but still a single company with an interest in making their product look good owns the app that people rely on to get unbiased data
The most I could see them doing is prioritizing or making more visible EVgo sites. But I don't see them doing that and I was searching for DCFC sites on Plugshare just 3 days ago. I kind of wish they had a "skip EA" option because I'm actively avoiding new generation EA sites until they find out why cars are being fried. I'd rather use a slower EVgo charger.

Reactions: Don.Church
They have to take into account the fact that a driver could navigate to a SC site to preheat the battery and then charge at a nearby CCS charger.
In Europe Tesla lists third-party CCS sites in the navigation, as long as they meet Tesla's requirements. (One of which is that a number of Teslas have successfully charged there recently.) I expect they will do the same in the US, maybe once they make the CCS retrofit available for older Teslas.

Yes, the goal is to make charging infrastructure open to the masses.

I myself am not impressed by my being a member of the Tesla club. At the same time, when superchargers instantly get double, triple, or quadruple the eligible user base there will be far more horror stories of two hour waits to get to grandma's house on Thanksgiving, and that will reflect negatively on the EV experience.

IMHO, not opening the Tesla connector specification until now was a major strategic blunder on the part of Tesla. It could easily have become the industry standard and they pissed away that chance.
Blunder? I don’t mean to be harsh but model S was finalized in 2011 and SAE couldn’t be bothered to ratify dc charging until 2013. The original j1772 offered dc charging on the AC pins at 80amps.
Musk simply wanted more current than 80amps. Since sae wouldn’t budge he made his own. Really funny now he’s having to bail out the ccs vendors.

I disagree. Just charge a higher rate per kWr as well as time of day rate for non Tesla's.
FWIW BP just announced that they will be adding over 100k chargers within the next few years.
I wonder when Exxon Mobil will get their head out of their butts and do the same?
You don’t charge non Teslas more. You charge everyone more and offer Tesla a “discount”. Lol. Semantics.

You don’t charge non Teslas more. You charge everyone more and offer Tesla a “discount”. Lol. Semantics.
That's what you do if you're trying to sell stuff: jack up the price and then offer a "discount" so people feel like they're getting a deal. In this case, if you're trying to avoid the chargers being congested, you probably want to do the opposite: have lower prices and then call it a "surcharge".

COUNTERPOINT: Elon offers $1B investment in Ford if they switch to NACS. Then they collectively fight to make it a standard so that it's not "proprietary".
The FHWA, Federal Highway Administration, has already declared NACS non-proprietary, and that it qualifies for NEVI funding. But every NEVI funded stall still has to have a CCS Type 1 connector. (It just can have a NACS and/or CHAdeMO connector as well.)

The most I could see them doing is prioritizing or making more visible EVgo sites. But I don't see them doing that and I was searching for DCFC sites on Plugshare just 3 days ago. I kind of wish they had a "skip EA" option because I'm actively avoiding new generation EA sites until they find out why cars are being fried. I'd rather use a slower EVgo charger.
You can filter by provider on plugshare i.e. exclude EA.