Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD Beta Release 10.5 2021.36.8.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to recreate my issue on a quick lunch trip, but it didn't give me the chance. It freaked out while trying to go through a 3 way stop before that turn. No cars around but it yelled at me to take over for it and FSD and TACC wouldn't re-engage for the turn it had issues with this morning. On the bright side, it's handling my backroads better, only really issue on them now is when they curve it likes to center itself on the road still. At least it's progress.

Reactions: GeoffEV and Wingsy
Results of my limited 10.5 tests:
I drive mostly on 5 rural roads, 3 of which have no posted speed limits. On 10.4 I could just HOLD down the report button on those 3 roads, phantom braking was that bad. The other 2 roads with posted limits wasn't great but wasn't bad either. Now on 10.5 all those roads were quite good. Just a minor gradual braking a few times in 20 miles or so. Slows excessively on moderate curves at times. Stop signs, not so good. Would sometimes put me in the middle of the intersection and just stop.

I need to keep reminding myself that this is beta and isn't being offered as a finished product, and I'll do my part in helping Tesla get this all figured out. Until then I accept the occasional weirdness as long as I'm able to prevent a crumpled fender.

Reactions: K5TRX and Wnuk
Stop signs, not so good. Would sometimes put me in the middle of the intersection and just stop.
Haven't seen that one before. I wonder whether it has something to do with maps. Does FSD relay on maps to figure out where to stop ... and confirm that with visuals / otherway round ? Various stopping issues (stops too early for eg) could be because of this.

On Teslafi ~ 1,800 were on 36.8.5. Now there are about 1,700 on 36.8.8 (installed + pending) and ~200 still on 36.8.5.

So, definitely there are people getting fsd beta for the first time now, but those might be people who got into 100/99 SS in the last few days.
Nobody outside of existing testers yet based on TeslaFi. Scroll down and you'll see the previously installed version, which is all 10.4 and a few early 10.5s.
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 1.25.30 PM.png

Nobody outside of existing testers yet based on TeslaFi. Scroll down and you'll see the previously installed version, which is all 10.4 and a few early 10.5s.View attachment 736483
Then the new ones are in pending install ?

Either way people on 10.5 + 10.4 is about 100 more than those under 10.4 earlier.

ps : May be my memory is faulty. Just before 10.5, may be there were close 1,900 on 36.8.5 ... it seems unlikely all the newcomers are all "pending" install.

On Teslafi ~ 1,800 were on 36.8.5. Now there are about 1,700 on 36.8.8 (installed + pending) and ~200 still on 36.8.5.

So, definitely there are people getting fsd beta for the first time now, but those might be people who got into 100/99 SS in the last few days.
No new testers have been put on 10.5. You can see past versions on TeslaFi. There were people that were on older FSD versions than 36.8.5.

I drove with 10.5 today. I can't really see much improvement yet. A couple of left turns were made with more confidence. Lots of the phantom braking. During one protected left turn, it tried to side-swipe someone waiting in the lane to the right of me. I had to be quick to avert a side collision. I'll keep trying.

Reactions: K5TRX
Feels like Tesla could build in an automatic camera recalibration with every update right now

Maybe calibration causing FSD problems isn't a wide-spread issue, but feels like there wouldn't really be anything to lose

A lot of fuss these days about calibration after one dude on Twitter said their life was changed. The only two times I've needed to calibrate are (a) when the car was new, and (b) when I had my windshield replaced. Unless you're regularly going on unpaved/unmarked roads or get in a situation where you may physically move a camera out of alignment (collision?), I can't see how calibration will make a difference.

Calibrating is a fairly nuclear option - you lose AP during that period, and it can take a while for it to finish depending on the roads you take during this period. The option is there if you want to calibrate, but seems like a whole lot of inconvenience if the cameras haven't actually moved.

A lot of fuss these days about calibration after one dude on Twitter said their life was changed. The only two times I've needed to calibrate are (a) when the car was new, and (b) when I had my windshield replaced. Unless you're regularly going on unpaved/unmarked roads or get in a situation where you may physically move a camera out of alignment (collision?), I can't see how calibration will make a difference.

Calibrating is a fairly nuclear option - you lose AP during that period, and it can take a while for it to finish depending on the roads you take during this period. The option is there if you want to calibrate, but seems like a whole lot of inconvenience if the cameras haven't actually moved.
I got onto the freeway immediately after hitting the calibrate button and it finished after only about 9 miles.

I haven't seen a lot of people confirm that calibration improved their FSD experience. Dirty Tesla may have started this trend, but I think it's a simple case of "correlation does not imply causation." We should find a way to check out of this Hotel California (cargo cult).

The reduce false slowdown will be a great improvement. I’ve have had a problem with sudden braking and the warning of “near head on collision“ and nothing is on the road. The other problem I’ve had is the street speed limit post correctly but the cruise control locks in 11 to13 mph over the speed limit. I do have an appointment with Tesla, they’re going to check my sensors on Tuesday.
What is your autopilot set speed at?

I initially had mine set to speed limit +0 mph but recently changed it to speed limit +20%. Your issue sounds like it might be similar since FSB beta resets the cruise speed after every speed limit change or road change.

I got 10.5 today and noticed more confidence in the autopilot in some circumstances. It seems to have more confidence making turns and such.

It seems to have less confidence on my unmarked 1.5 lane road, and went so slow as to try my patience, all the way down to 13 mph, in a 30 zone where I typically drive 20-30.

I will do some more drives and see what the results are. Hopefully improved.

On the downside, 2/2 attempts to make a right turn at a Y fork have failed. This is a turn FSD has never struggled with to this point.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and Phlier