Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gear shop - charger price markdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who's excited about the dual charger markdown!!??.....I know I am. I'm ordering mine as we speak.
FINALLY, not spending $4000 to be able to charge at 80amp.

And how about this thing:
Premium Rear Console (for the back seat) - $600
I think it's pretty cool. I might get it.

When I bought mine the sales rep discouraged me from getting dual chargers and I'm glad he did. 1 year later and 38,500 miles I have never had a situation at home where I would have needed faster charging than 10 kW. I never found a HPWC where I needed fast charging. And here is the thing, 20 kW is still pretty darn slow when you are on a road trip. There are way more CHAdeMo stations at 45 kW out there so the adapter was a much better deal.

Who's excited about the dual charger markdown!!??.....I know I am. I'm ordering mine as we speak.
FINALLY, not spending $4000 to be able to charge at 80amp.

And how about this thing:
Premium Rear Console (for the back seat) - $600
I think it's pretty cool. I might get it.
When you get the dual chargers, a good destination for you would be Fredericksburg. In the historic downtown area there are two high amp level 2 charging stations (60A units, 48A output). It's not 80A, but it's a whole lot better than the usual 30A J1772s, and you will get a full charge in the hours you spend walking around Fredericksburg, the Admiral Nimitz museum, etc. You will see it on Plugshare. This is one of only two high-amp J1772 locations in the state and were installed with the encouragement of the Austin/San Antonio Tesla owners group.

When I bought mine the sales rep discouraged me from getting dual chargers and I'm glad he did. 1 year later and 38,500 miles I have never had a situation at home where I would have needed faster charging than 10 kW. I never found a HPWC where I needed fast charging. And here is the thing, 20 kW is still pretty darn slow when you are on a road trip. There are way more CHAdeMo stations at 45 kW out there so the adapter was a much better deal.

I disagree. I have done many road trips. 20kW is pretty darn fast when it's available. I can tell you, my trip to Niagara Falls from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, would have turned out 100% different if I had the dual chargers at the time. As well as trying to get home... Would have been nice not needing to sit in Erie, PA for 7 hours just to get enough to make it to the Macedonia Supercharger from Niagara. The elevation changes and cold temps slaughtered my battery. Was even doing 45mph a good portion of that run and still didn't make it.

As for more CHAdeMO, not really. Maybe in California, but in the rest of the country, they are few and far between, and un-reliable. Here in Wisconsin, we have 5 total. I've been to all 5. 2 are only 20kW, one of them was offline. The other, while being 20kW, only charged my Model S at 11kW. V time A = W. Since the low voltage of my pack, allowed the station to hit it's Amperage Max before the stations kWh max output, 11kW was all I would get.
Station 3, damaged charge cable. Station should "Finally" be online again according to ABB (The station was at ABB's own facility!) end of this month. Time for ABB to repair ABB's own station you may ask? 4 MONTHS! Yep....
Station 4, Nissan branded. I killed that one a good dozen times now. at 0*F outside, I managed to overheat the station with both a MS60 and MS85 within 25 minutes of start of charging. Un-reliable.
Station 5, in Madison, WI, 2 blocks from the Supercharger, actually worked flawless. 50kW rated station, only put out 30kW. But, yes, it DID work. And did so from start to finish and stayed COOL the entire time.
So 1 out of 5 Stations performed reasonably.

AC based charging is much more "Reliable" in my opinion then CHAdeMO. CHAdeMO is awesome when it works, but requires owner maintenance of the stations. Such as Filter cleanings so they don't overheat. Where as, AC stations, are more or less "Set em and forget em". Plug it in and let er go. All they really do is tell the car what amperage circuit the cars on, and then flip on a simple contactor to allow power to flow to vehicle. And, of course, some a bit more complicated like the Charge Points.

Last edited:

I understand exactly what you're saying, but this decision is really subjective to each individual.
And yes, in MY circumstance, where I drive in average 50+ miles, sometimes, I drive about 100+ before I get home from work, after picking up my kid from school, and coming back from the gym. So, by the time, my day is "over", I have like 40 miles to play with and it's not really enough in case I end up going out on a date, and I have to drive further than 20 miles to go with her.
So, for my driving habits, being able to charge faster than right now, at 40 amps in my garage, is a great thing.
Also, I frequent the Austin area, which is about 70 miles from where I live. And in Austin, there are Tesla HPWCs gallore. So, in my situation, for the type of lifestyle I have. I definitely need either dual chargers w/ hpwc, or an 85Kwh car (which I 'm trying to get right now).
Because it's been more than once that I've come home after running all my errands, and I have about 19 miles left in the tank. So, now I'm stuck at home.

So for me, $3000 is DEFINITELY worth it.

-R.

Dual chargers is definitely a must for me. Being able to arrive home with next to no charge left, eat dinner, and then head out to town again with ~60+ miles after about an hour is awesome. I've had dual chargers come in handy more often than not.

Interestingly, dual chargers no longer appears to be a factory option in the design studio.

Dual chargers is definitely a must for me. Being able to arrive home with next to no charge left, eat dinner, and then head out to town again with ~60+ miles after about an hour is awesome. I've had dual chargers come in handy more often than not.

Interestingly, dual chargers no longer appears to be a factory option in the design studio.

It depends where you are. We have a reasonable number of 70 amp chargers around here. Charging at 70km/hr is painful enough. To do it at 40 km/hr would be torturous.

I did the Vegan Piano.

IMG_1533.JPG

Last edited:

Wow, some people are a lot more willing to drive than me. I can't imagine driving the 200 miles it would take to drain the battery during the day and then wanting to drive an additional 60 miles in the evening. No thank you.

When I bought mine the sales rep discouraged me from getting dual chargers and I'm glad he did. 1 year later and 38,500 miles...

Probably too soon to judge. You will likely have your vehicle a few more years and the number of HPWC's is increasing astronomically, especially at hotels. Plus, there's something to be said just for the peace of mind dual chargers give you. I've used mine a lot.

Probably too soon to judge. You will likely have your vehicle a few more years and the number of HPWC's is increasing astronomically, especially at hotels. Plus, there's something to be said just for the peace of mind dual chargers give you. I've used mine a lot.

It's too soon to tell. In the Pacific Northwest, CHAdeMO is far more common than high power Level 2 EVSEs, making the CHAdeMO adapter a much better value.

I too was in a similar situation and decided a CHAdeMO adapter would be more useful than twin chargers which at the time was a mandatory bundle with HPWC.

Got my CHAdeMO adapter and haven't used it yet.