Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla getting more dealership like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking deadpanning would be a fun way to respond to badgering. ;)

Q: "What car are you interested in driving?"
A: "Porsche Cayenne."

Q: "When might you be ready to buy?"
A: "Every Tuesday during a brief window between 4:36 and 4:38 AM."

Q: "Have you ever driven an EV before?"
A: "Yes, my daily driver is a Baker Electric."

Q: "How do you plan to charge it?"
A: "I own a large potato farm. Connect enough of them in series and you can charge anything."

Q: "What's your daily commute mileage?"
A: "Oh, I'm unemployed. This is just a ruse to get free coffee."

Q: "Would you be trading in your current car?"
A: "Yes, it should be arriving at your store on three separate flatbeds."

Q: "Where would you be taking delivery?"
A: "Pripyat."

I think you've misinterpreted that $57k average. I believe it means that currently that's the average.
Still intentionally using a misleading metric in my opinion. Could just have said the first cars will.
I mean when the Model X launched we had many complainants about articles using the price of those first cars as base or standard price and now it's fine when Tesla employees essentially are doing the same?

Still intentionally using a misleading metric in my opinion. Could just have said the first cars will.
I mean when the Model X launched we had many complainants about articles using the price of those first cars as base or standard price and now it's fine when Tesla employees essentially are doing the same?

*yawn*

I don't think it was intended to mislead anyone. It was simply written in a context you failed to interpret correctly. In that employee's world, it's the truth. You want to complain that it's bad English, that it was written from the wrong perspective - knock yourself out. Automatically assuming the worst of people and being righteously indignant is a sure way to a) get upset for the wrong reason, b) be wrong, and c) live a life of constant upset.

Last edited:
I think inquiring about the ability to have charging installed at home is useful. People who can't charge at home generally aren't going to be happy with a Tesla unless they're very enthusiastic about EVs and don't mind a major inconvenience.
That's not why they're asking...guarantee you they are databasing for a solar panel cross-sell. They want to know if you own a home so the solar city guy in the next cubicle can call you later to sales pitch you for solar. That's the new Tesla "synergy".

Hmm, no mention of the quarter end sales/ delivery push...? We weren't in a rush back in end of May as we were going to be out of country for nearly a month for the summer holidays. Kept getting calls and emails to confirm order before end of May so that delivery would be before June end. They kept also mentioning the special loan rates would be gone after month end. Car arrived with a number of issues including body repairs but they still pushed to finalize sale. I ended up agreeing to these antics as the manager agreed to give us a comparable loaner MX immediately and until ours would be get fixed. Personally, I think they should have concluded the car was not in any condition to deliver and they should have delayed the actual delivery instead of playing the quarter end delivery game to help their stock price. On a positive note, it did get us in a Model X sooner (I guess we'd still be waiting for delivery if we put our order in after early June). But it appears our MX just missed by maybe a week the acceleration upgrades they announced at quarter end and on that special financing rate, of course it then proceeded to go to 0.99% after our delivery)...

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Obviously with their quarterly push - every quarter - Tesla has become even worse than dealerships in some ways.

I have never seen or felt such rushing to complete a purchase as with Tesla. No other brand has made me so aware of the end of quarter.

Tesla has also obviously walked back on the no discounts, no haggling many times, though they still often show as reverse discount pressure too (timed price changes that are used to entice customers - and then possibly walked back on again to entice more).

As seen, this shows in some questionable ways such as saying bad and misleading things about Model 3 (e.g. making it sound like a 57k car, really?) or with questionable company-wide policies like taking free Supercharging away not once but three times to push sales...

And let's not even get started on what was said in the name of EAP at the end of 2016...

It is a very familiar pattern by now. Only a fool buys a car based on Tesla's push. Far more research and caution is needed to avoid e.g. what happened to 60D/75D buyers in the last quarter(s)... or the 90D buyers wanting 100D and free SpC in Q1...

But it appears our MX just missed by maybe a week the acceleration upgrades they announced at quarter end and on that special financing rate, of course it then proceeded to go to 0.99% after our delivery)...

Familiar story. If you had just waited instead of appeasing Tesla's quarterly needs and push, you would have gotten a better performing car and possibly better prices, standard features and financing rates...

And let's not forget those who took deliveries on Tesla's 90DL promise to be upgraded to 100D in Q3/Q4 2016. Upgrade still nowhere to be seen with some even being said (right or wrong info?) by Tesla it won't come at all.

My recommendation is not falling for Tesla'a word but staying true to your own pace and own instincs. If they are really pushing something to you, it may well be because they want to quickly sell it before even a better product comes out.

Q3 push for AP1 cars with discounts etc. also springs to mind... AP2 came right after they had delivered most of those...

As needed, just wait. When needed, walk away from a buy. Tesla's push does not have your interest in mind, so one needs to take care of it themselves.