Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla getting more dealership like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2013 before becoming an owner I did multiple Model S test drives and was never questioned or in any way "screened".

Of course that was 3 years ago. Earlier this year I did a Model X test drive just for fun and again was not questioned about my motives. Of course the Tesla person I was interacting with knew I was an owner.
I walked into Tesla and test drove a Ludicrous with no questions asked. I also showed up in my '05 Civic.

I think they did ask what town I'm from which may have checked the box for them, and they asked me about charging, which I had already researched. Maybe they were screening me, but I didn't feel like it, and the experience was much better than my Audi experience.

Reactions: Jaff
I walked into Tesla and test drove a Ludicrous with no questions asked. I also showed up in my '05 Civic.

I think they did ask what town I'm from which may have checked the box for them, and they asked me about charging, which I had already researched. Maybe they were screening me, but I didn't feel like it, and the experience was much better than my Audi experience.
Nice, I asked for the high end model. Unfortunately, we got the S60. However, my friend didn't even floor it/feel like he could floor it.. Sorta odd, anyways, so it didn't matter and I can understand them using their resources as deemed best. Funny thing is my friend bought a 70k+ car a few days ago and couldn't believe what he is missing out on.

Hope this gets reported to Elon again. Whoever's suggesting this at Tesla is suggesting tax fraud and accounting fraud and should actually be fired for criminal activity.

Reactions: croman
Hope this gets reported to Elon again. Whoever's suggesting this at Tesla is suggesting tax fraud and accounting fraud and should actually be fired for criminal activity.
I dunno, my quick glancing at the law doesn't seem to make it look illegal....

I'm on Tesla's side on this one. For some customers this could be very beneficial.

The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit determined under this notice applies to plug-in electric drive motor vehicles that—
(1) Are placed in service by the taxpayer in a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2009; (Doesn't actually say the year the credit is claimed)

(2) Are acquired by the taxpayer after December 31, 2009; and

(3) Otherwise meet the requirements of § 30D.

Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D)

Internal Revenue Bulletin - November 30, 2009 - Notice 2009-89

When I was selling my fist Model S, I came across a brand new one for sale. I asked why the guy was selling it, turns out it was because his landlord would not allow a NEMA-14-50 installation and after charging from 110V outlet the guy just decided to take the loss and sell it. I bet he wished someone had asked him whether he rented or owned before he shelled out $100K on a car that he had nowhere to charge.

Also, when selling cars it is the job of a sales person to focus on prospects most likely to result in a sale (assuming the sales person does not have the time to give everyone their attention). Unfortunately sometimes it means someone will get less attention. Maybe the OP's prior test drive was noted somewhere, and the sales person figured there is no likely sale for his efforts. If Tesla gave everyone test drives no questions asked, there would be a bunch of teenagers test-driving P100D's every day.

Reactions: 1 person
3 pages worth of posts and I couldn't find a single legitimate gripe.

They are not a traditional dealer and just answer their questions.

Possible some people go off script and ask questions wanting to be personable.

Reactions: Jaff
After reading the whole thread I think "it's all about timing" when a question is asked.

If someone wants a Tesla bad enough, they'll figure out how to charge it. I wonder what the response would be if you just look at them and deadpanned, "I plan to visit a supercharger twice a week." Would they not sell you the damn car?

Part of it is they are asking some questions WAY too early, which implies the message: "Let's see if we want to sell you this car." (FYI such things are actually included in dealership training info.)

If they have any sort of metric that measures how many contacts/turn into test drives/turn into sales it needs to be stopped IMMEDIATELY. Nothing will turn Tesla stores into another dealership experience faster, as the sales people no matter what they're told will begin to do things to try to keep their jobs, just like at any other dealership.

Oh an some special deals. Limited to the first 50 buyers. Special leasing deal. Inventory cars which still have free Supercharging.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.PNG
    IMG_0992.PNG
    453.4 KB · Views: 70
$57k average :rolleyes:

What would you do? • r/teslamotors
7j13t943nzez.png

Tesla called me regarding my Model 3 Reservation • r/teslamotors

Tesla called me regarding my model 3 reservation and gave some disconcerting info... The representative I spoke to saw that I was a reservation holder and tried to sell me a Model S 75 D "for around the same price as the model 3 would cost" and give me a salesman pitch of how it's "pretty much the same as Model 3". The rep was reading me prices from the website and tried to word it as an exclusive price offer. I was shocked that Tesla operatives their business this way. Tesla agents calling reservation holders to try and convince them to buy an older vehicle. This questions my faith in the company. Has anyone else received calls like this? Is Tesla in over their head? Should I take the Model S 75 D and negotiate a better price?

Complete misinformation. The average price of the 3 is not $57,000. Elon just said in the conf.call he expects average to be about $45,000. And there is no way the tax credit will end this year. Even if Tesla reaches 200,000 US deliveries this year the credit wouldnt start phasing out until the 2nd quarter 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: hpartsch
Complete misinformation. Three average price of the 3 is not $57,000. Elon just said in the conf.call he expects average to be about $45,000. And there is no way the tax credit will end this year. Even if Tesla reaches 200,000 US deliveries this year the credit wouldnt start phasing out until the 2nd quarter 2018.

I think you've misinterpreted that $57k average. I believe it means that currently that's the average. As in the people who have been invited to configure their cars to date are optioning them out. We know that Tesla is only building larger battery and premium interior, that takes the car to $49k. If the people (employees at this point) are adding 19" wheels ($1,500), a color other than black ($1,000) and advanced autopilot ($5,000) that makes $56,500. The only other option left that I recall is full autonomous priced at $3k.

The tax credit part, I agree with you. We know it doesn't 'end' this year.