Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the 7kwh powerwall is too big for the places with the highest residential demand for storage. Part of a refreshed product line could be a smaller powerwall. Another niche could be an "AC" powerwall. This would be a version with a built in inverter and charge controller that would be connected to mains.

I also wonder if the possible lull in adding battery manufacturing to the gigafactory could be caused by a change being considered or implemented in cell manufacturing.

With 120V power, a 7KWh pack would only provide 58 Ah of energy. If you needed it to last through a 12 hour night in the winter, that's only 4.86 A/h. We'd run the pack dry within 2-3 hours of sunset.

With 120V power, a 7KWh pack would only provide 58 Ah of energy. If you needed it to last through a 12 hour night in the winter, that's only 4.86 A/h. We'd run the pack dry within 2-3 hours of sunset.
Depends on what you are doing at night that uses electricity. If you are heating, it won't last long. OTOH, my home power consumption is only about 500w at night so even if I didn't go around turning off all of the little parasitic power wasters, a 7kW pack would last 14 hours.

Depends on what you are doing at night that uses electricity. If you are heating, it won't last long. OTOH, my home power consumption is only about 500w at night so even if I didn't go around turning off all of the little parasitic power wasters, a 7kW pack would last 14 hours.

We're night owls and I usually have several computers running well into the night because I'm working too (software developer).

In the first referral program, I won tickets to the Gigafactory grand opening party. It said it would sometime during April 2016. But in the second referral program, it said it would be in the first half of 2016. Has anyone heard when the grand opening party will be? It would be nice to know so I can plan my vacations.

In the first referral program, I won tickets to the Gigafactory grand opening party. It said it would sometime during April 2016. But in the second referral program, it said it would be in the first half of 2016. Has anyone heard when the grand opening party will be? It would be nice to know so I can plan my vacations.

I thought the model 3 unveiling was going to be at the gigafactory grand opening?

Will update as soon as I can find a reference.

-- edit --

My bad. Found the details of referral program v2. Although it mentions both gigafactory opening and model 3 unveiling, it didn't specify that they were at the same time:

Referral Program

The Model S Referral Program has now ended. Owners who referred five or more Model S orders are eligible for our Referral Program giveaways:
Top Referrers by Region
The owner that makes the most qualifying referrals in each of North America, Europe and Asia/Pacific will receive a Ludicrous P90D Model S and an exclusive VIP invitation for two to the Model 3 unveiling event, including travel and accommodations.

First to 10 by Region
The first to make 10 qualifying referrals in each of North America, Europe and Asia/Pacific will receive a Tesla Powerwall Home Battery, installation included.

10+ Qualifying Referrals
Each owner that makes 10 or more qualifying referrals will receive an invitation for two to attend the Model 3 unveiling event.

5+ Qualifying Referrals
Each owner that makes 5 or more qualifying referrals will receive an invitation for two to attend the Gigafactory opening event, including transportation to the Gigafactory facility from Reno, Nevada.

We know that without our customers we would not be where we are today. This is our way of thanking you for continuing to build the Tesla community.
Event Invitations
Unless otherwise noted, owners receiving invitations to Tesla events will be responsible for the cost of their own travel, lodging and other incidentals.

Limits
Owners accepting giveaways will be responsible for any related taxes or government/third party fees.

Good Faith
We introduce programs such as these in good faith and expect the same good faith in return. Please note that we may withhold awards where we believe customers are acting in bad faith or otherwise acting contrary to the intent of this program. To be clear, commercializing or otherwise selling referral codes is not appropriate, and we will not honor such codes. We cannot cover every nefarious scenario, nor will we attempt to, but we do promise to be fair and reasonable.

Last edited:
Some new pictures and article: Recent pictures and updated model of the Tesla Gigafactory 1 emerge | Electrek

12716704_770711223073660_1139423795_n.jpg

12748370_497865480397372_1337293270_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And this pictures that highlights the future size vs current size:

11084745_1698933783670979_2103829241_n.jpg

Apparently even Musk doesn't have the capital to build at a steady rate on a single gigafactory. This pretty much shows the future of climate change. Our human systems just are not designed for rapid change from non-immediate threats.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember, the Gigafactory is to be built in stages as demand and production increases. You don't build a 10+ million square foot factory all at once when you have no production volume needing all that space. It's wasteful financially.

They can sell all the powerwall/powerpacks they can make. What Tesla can't do is finance rapid expansion.

Apparently even Musk doesn't have the capital to build at a steady rate on a single gigafactory. This pretty much shows the future of climate change. Our human systems just are not designed for rapid change from non-immediate threats.

If I understand this correctly, electracity is saying that even with the mounting evidence of the calamity that is climate change, we live in an environment where even Tesla can't get enough capital to build the Gigafactory at the fastest possible pace. As in build all the phases all at once or whatever is the closest to that. Right now, Tesla is building the Gigafactory is carefully managed increments in accordance their ability to raise capital and manage cash flow. That is aggressive already, but not quite as aggressive as they could be doing it. This situation is an indication of how poorly we, as the global collective we, are able to deal with threats that are distant in the future.

How about solar panels? Are those quick to install?
The panels themselves are pretty quick to install. They could have one crew building out the framing for the panels and another crew doing the panel installs. They should be able to cover the existing roof space inside of a week. But that's a LOT of power generation, and that could be a much more delicate process, getting that tied into the Tesla PowerPack farm and into the local grid.

Which brings up the question of whether the Gigafactory has yet begun to build its own supply of PowerPack units for the green power (Solar and Windmills) to feed. Doesn't make sense to do one without the other (power generation vs. power storage).

Awesome photos. I note that the right side of the Gigafactory is still open and it doesn't appear to have a concrete floor yet, so the shell is still being constructed. Of course, we don't know where the walls are inside, so we don't know how much of it has an "inside" so far.