Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass Tile Solar Roof Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its clear Tesla tiles are more durable then other tiles so lets say the warranty does make it similar, which will survive larger hail and which will not need your insurance company require you to pay your deductible to replace and which might actually be there in 50 years and not rotted, shattered or shelled? Infinity is a bold statement but im fine with infinity if a tree doesnt fall on it or any other rare natural disaster. The roof itself wont go up in value, the cost to replace it will. This will give it an inherent value that say an asphalt roof will not benefit from. Less so for a Spanish tile roof because they can last a very long time as well.

Doesn't matter if the roof tile holds up. Many times the underlayment goes bad before the tile, and you still need to have the roof redone. In 15 years you aren't going to want to reinstall v1.0 tiles on your roof anyway, they're going in the dumpster.

My roof will cost $95K! 4X what I paid for my solar array and 5X what I paid for my roof! No idea what the generation capability is and if they are covering all my surfaces with solar or if there is a battery solution included.

I'd love to see some actual numbers from people with replacement (or new) roofs and solar roof addition costs. Also the estimated price using the calculator for the equivalent square footage.

I know these are completely approximate numbers (and probably off by a lot). Based on what you are saying the solar array is 25% of the cost of the Tesla Roof and the actual roof is 20% of the Tesla Roof. This is roughly 45% of the total cost of the Tesla roof for people replacing a roof and upgrading at the same time.

Over double is still way to expensive for me but there seem to be a few positives in the deal (better looks, longer life?)

Here's hoping V2 of the solar roof is much better or cheaper than V1 (Similar to the Powerwalls). Glad I have a few years before this decision will happen.

You bring up a great point, though Tesla does not appear to factor in a full 30% credit, I put in the following:
- 1750 sqft house (calculator comes up with 2168 sqft roof)
- no powerwall
Got the following output:
- $64,200 cost of roof
- 60% solar
- $16,400 tax credit (=25.5% of quoted cost of total roof which calculates to 30% of a $54,666 'solar portion' of the roof cost )

When I change the 60% solar slider to 0% solar, I get:
- $23,800 cost of roof
- 0% solar
- $0 tax credit.
Makes sense that tax credit is now $0, because I'm not making a solar energy investment at that point.

Bottom line: it does appear to me that Tesla is not taking tax credit in their calculation for the non-solar portion of the roof. Now, this begs one question: Tesla can game the tax credit system by making the solar portion of the roof disproportionately expensive, and the non-solar portion disproportionately cheap (thus maximizing the portion of the project that is eligible for a credit).

Anyway, my house is worth $160K, a $64K roof doesn't make any sense. I put on a new roof myself for ~$4,000 in materials (asphalt shingles), and some pizza money to convince my friends to come help out for a day. I can put in an equivalent solar system for $10K myself. That's a total of $14K, for the same energy production and a roof over my head. Only thing I am short on is the looks and the durability, but that is not worth an incremental $50K. Thanks Tesla, but this is going to be for the rich and famous!

Thanks for your input. :) It looks like Tesla calculates the credit in your example by ($23,800)(.4) = $9,520. $64,200-$9,520 = $54,680, close enough to your figure above. I would NOT sign a tax return as paid preparer using those Tesla Tax Techniques.

How much of the cost is demolition and disposition of the old roof? That is not a cost eligible for the credit. Nor are the flashings and other materials needed to replace a roof.

To use an extreme example, if a person replaced a conventional roof with another conventional roof, simultaneous with installing PV panels over 60% of the area, would he be eligible to receive the tax credit on the replacement roof? No. (With emphasis.)

If a client came to me in a few years with your example, I would have to determine an approximate and reasonable value of the cost of the solar tiles that exceeded the cost of the roof. I would hope that the final invoicing might give us some idea as to the components of the job.

As far as Tesla gaming the system: It is hard to say. It only takes one bulldog auditor to discover that something was exaggerated or misrepresented for the chips to fall for that one taxpayer, especially if the assessment winds up in Tax Court, and the taxpayer loses. Then it is just a matter of the IRS sorting out all the returns that have higher-than-normal residential solar credits on their tax returns to commence a mass correspondence audit.

One thing about our good buddies at the IRS: they may not be the sharpest tools in the shed. But they do have the benefit of compiling billions of pieces of data from 150 million tax returns and then determining how each of our returns stacks up against everybody else. Their data can zero in on zip code, census tracts and other demographics readily available. If the "average" solar credit where you live is $4,000-$7,500, and you claim $16,000, you might be receiving an audit notice.

And we should not forget the Section 6662 accuracy-related penalty at 20% of the understated tax, plus interest from April 15 of the original due date.

I just had Solar City give me an estimate of $35,000 for 22 panels and 2 power walls plus install,, etc. I went to the roof calculator and it gave me an estimate of $51,000 for a solar roof. That means $16,000 for a new roof. Not too bad for a top quality shingle reroof. It said the roof would be 70% solar shingles. It would be nice to have a breakdown of what they are including.

I just had Solar City give me an estimate of $35,000 for 22 panels and 2 power walls plus install,, etc. I went to the roof calculator and it gave me an estimate of $51,000 for a solar roof. That means $16,000 for a new roof. Not too bad for a top quality shingle reroof. It said the roof would be 70% solar shingles. It would be nice to have a breakdown of what they are including.

SolarCity is a rip off. Your numbers are meaningless without telling us what system size (kW). Under no typical install circumstance pay more then $3.00/W installed, before tax credits. Excludes extreme pitch roofs or unusual electrical situations.

You can't really compare $51k for the solar roof to $35k for the 22 panels from Solar City. You don't know if this is an apples to comparison; you need to compare total system watts.

How many watts is that solar roof? We have no idea. They aren't telling you that. The quotes are sort of meaningless without wattage numbers.

SolarCity is a rip off. Your numbers are meaningless without telling us what system size (kW). Under no typical install circumstance pay more then $3.00/W installed, before tax credits. Excludes extreme pitch roofs or unusual electrical situations.
O. K. $21,000 for 7 kW plus $14,000 for two Powerwalls about the same as Sunrun using LG batteries. I don't see anything wrong with these numbers. As for Tesla's sizing, I assume they factored in a lot of air conditioning which we rarely use. Could actually be more capacity than Solar City using actual e bill. Looking at approx 1400 sq ft. Of solar tile vs maybe 500 sq ft of panels.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if the roof tile holds up. Many times the underlayment goes bad before the tile, and you still need to have the roof redone. In 15 years you aren't going to want to reinstall v1.0 tiles on your roof anyway, they're going in the dumpster.

Oh please, people are reusing 100+ year old bricks.

You could toss them in the dumpster but you could just as easily sell them to someone that wants to use them on something other than a roof or for a roof in a shaded area.

Oh please, people are reusing 100+ year old bricks.

You could toss them in the dumpster but you could just as easily sell them to someone that wants to use them on something other than a roof or for a roof in a shaded area.

Yeah that dude is nuts. One guy on this board posted about his 100 year old house that had the original tile roof. I'm guessing you will be able to upgrade the active tiles every 20-30 years without a ton of effort. They will probably screw into a rail.

Super durable roofs are nothing new, but ones that generate electricity, look awesome and are light/strong is compelling. One thing that's over looked is that you can put these tiles on roofs that wouldn't normally support heavier slate and tile roofs. It's not a 100% replacement for solar panels, only those situations that panels face the from of the house or just look bad. High-end construction.

O. K. $21,000 for 7 kW plus $14,000 for two Powerwalls about the same as Sunrun using LG batteries. I don't see anything wrong with these numbers. As for Tesla's sizing, I assume they factored in a lot of air conditioning which we rarely use. Could actually be more capacity than Solar City using actual e bill. Looking at approx 1400 sq ft. Of solar tile vs maybe 500 sq ft of panels.

That's a good deal if BEFORE the federal tax credit, $3.00/W. Can I ask why you went with the Powerwall? I kinda wanted one but it was a hassle and I didn't think it would save any money for me. Great for those with a high peak/off-peak differential and no access to tiered rates.

And we should not forget the Section 6662 accuracy-related penalty at 20% of the understated tax, plus interest from April 15 of the original due date.
Taxpayer and their accountant are reasonable to rely on the statements from the solar system installer regarding what portion qualifies for the credit, as the installer can be expected to be an expert and the taxpayer cannot. There won't be penalities. (Interest, yes.)

Yeah that dude is nuts. One guy on this board posted about his 100 year old house that had the original tile roof. I'm guessing you will be able to upgrade the active tiles every 20-30 years without a ton of effort. They will probably screw into a rail.

Super durable roofs are nothing new, but ones that generate electricity, look awesome and are light/strong is compelling. One thing that's over looked is that you can put these tiles on roofs that wouldn't normally support heavier slate and tile roofs. It's not a 100% replacement for solar panels, only those situations that panels face the from of the house or just look bad. High-end construction.

My reason is that I know solar panels last a really long time. If I put solar panels on an asphalt roof I'll have to take them off to replace the roof, which I don't want to do. So before I put solar panels on, I have to put on a long-lasting roof anyway. Before the Solar Roof was announced I was thinking standing seam metal. But this is way better (less rust-prone for one thing).

And so the energy abundance revolution begins.
I mean... With solar tiles cheap enough, people could/should install 50% to 100% extra capacity and a few PW2. This allows anywhere from off grid living to at least grid independence for 6-9 months in the year. Worst case you only need the grid in the end of fall/winter.
In areas like FL, TX, AZ, NM, ... Living off grid becomes actually viable.
Which brings us to the end game... Electrical utilities will either have to create incentives for people to stay connected or loose them altogether as customers.
With a big batery EV, preferentially charge Sat/Sun midday instead of overnight every day. Perhaps plus 30 minutes a day to avoid draining out the PWs.
This is key in RED states that have plenty of sunlight and ultra anti solar policies.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
My reason is that I know solar panels last a really long time. If I put solar panels on an asphalt roof I'll have to take them off to replace the roof, which I don't want to do. So before I put solar panels on, I have to put on a long-lasting roof anyway. Before the Solar Roof was announced I was thinking standing seam metal. But this is way better (less rust-prone for one thing).

I think in 20 years many owners will see the new Tesla solar roof will view the output as woefully inadequate. The advantage of standing seam is the easy redo of solar/inverter/battery in 10-20 years.

This new roof's best use is for people with south facing houses that will never put conventional panels on the front of their house. But I still expect that the high price/long life feature will prove to be a disadvantage for many buyers.

Reactions: neroden
I made a 14" x 8.25" x 0.5" glass tile model with both boundary conditions, Longitudinal (as-in Traditional movie), and Lateral
(as-in Tesla solar movie). I assumed the frame supports are 1" wide, so the span is 6.25" (the inside edge is what matters).

Stress at the load point is the same, but the greater "distributed load bearing" in the "Traditional tile test" helps, rather than hinders, the impact robustness. Stress contour plots show how Tesla tested "Laterally" is not best case, it's worst case.

This agrees mostly with @cizUK

View attachment 226518

Thank you for doing this text ! I just wish they would show all being tested the same. Elon did clarify on Twitter they orientated the tile according to how it is installed on the roof.

Jeff

I put 4kW of solar on my roof in December 2014. As far,as opinions go, I wish I had used Sun Power panels to get more production from my small roof. I have produced 13 megaWatthours in 28 months.

that's good going - you must be in a more sunny part of the World. In the UK it's typical to get 3500kW /year from a 4kW system. Mine only does about 3100 due to winter shading issues. You're averaging 5500-6000kW/year.

We can all be jealous of Jason Hughes setup... wk057... !

Reactions: Ampster
Hopefully people do research before going all in on this. In our area, the old lines are not set up to handle power being fed back
into the system. So you get the news stories of residents who spend a lot on a solar installation, only to find out that they have to
pay the power company thousands of dollars for the modifications.

That's bad!
FYI - in the UK you're allowed to have a system up to 4 kW on your roof before you need permission from the power company! As long as it's installed by a registered company you're allowed that.
After that there's a £300 fee to pay as the electric company need to survey stuff - might have to make upgrades - especially if a lot of peeps in your street has solar - unlikely here!
We also used to get a FIT (guaranteed for 25, now only 20yrs and rising with inflation) with a fixed price you'd earn per kW. It was 40p in the first year, then dropped to 20, then dropped to 13 (when I got my system). Last year it was down to about 10 - then they crashed it to about 4p. You still get an additional 4p aprox per kW generated.