Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has labeled my new inventory car 'used'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No extended warranty for you!!

Maybe Tesla will fix my account page, maybe not.

A Tesla person insulted me on the phone telling me "You bought a used car." (More than once)

Not true - I bought a new inventory car for $119,500 in April of 2015. I got my tax credit. I know what is what.

With my warranty about to expire, I tried to buy an extended warranty. Apparently, the page is denying me.

So what if one Tesla employee insulted me? Not a big deal. Right?

So why am I - Kind of wanting to cancel my Roadster order of 11/17 and get my $50,000 back now?

Just my feelings - now, not so enthusiastic about waiting to buy a Model S when the redesign comes out.

Don't like to spend six figures on a new car and get called down.

There's nothing insulting about buying a used car. That's what some people do. Unfortunately not everyone has the same resources as you.

If you want the car, buy it. If you're going to let someone's words affect your actions, it's your choice. Good luck bud .

But the OP didn't buy a used car. They bought a new car in inventory (probably a demo car). You only get the tax credit if the car has never been registered and the IRS allowed it, which means it was a new car in 2015. Tesla is now claiming it was used and does not qualify for the extended warranty.

I recommend escalating the problem. They tacked on a $50 charge on my account last year I didn't owe. I had to go around a few times until I got a manager who saw it shouldn't be there and it was gone within 24 hours. Unfortunately Tesla is not adequately training their people and there are some people on the support side who don't know what they're talking about.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Escalate your problem and ask for free extended warranty. Good luck!
Why would tesla give him a free extended warranty? How exactly was op negatively impacted financially?

They made an error, the tesla person op spoke with is clearly an idiot for regurgitating the incorrect info listed on the site rather than looking at the facts. But that in no way means tesla has to give him a free warranty

Op: just call back and speak to a different person and hope you get someone smarter

I did call back. Prompts for my inquiry lead to "goodbye," from a computer voice after directing me to a website. Sales, yes, they answer, but could not help me with this problem. Sales told me they could do nothing. "But, can you get somebody to call me, please?" [Long pause]

I did call back. Prompts for my inquiry lead to "goodbye," from a computer voice after directing me to a website. Sales, yes, they answer, but could not help me with this problem. Sales told me they could do nothing. "But, can you get somebody to call me, please?" [Long pause]
I believe the local service manager is the right person to deal with this issue. Don't waste your time with the customer support line. They won't know how to solve that issue. Trust me.
Another way is to escalate your problem online.

With my warranty about to expire, I tried to buy an extended warranty. Apparently, the page is denying me.
What kind of error or message do you see when you try to buy the extended service agreement?

Have you tried submitting and executive escalation? It might take a few days to hear back but at least you could submit your issue right away and not have to wait on hold only to find the person can't help you.

I swear it’s as if the employees are doing the wrong things on purpose.

Often times on this forum we call new users who complain “shorts”
Could some employees be “shorts” and trying to hurt the company from within?

OPs problem is so easily fixed if they just think rather than look at the computer
It’s like driving into a lake because the gps said to go that way

What kind of error or message do you see when you try to buy the extended service agreement?

Have you tried submitting and executive escalation? It might take a few days to hear back but at least you could submit your issue right away and not have to wait on hold only to find the person can't help you.

I think OP won't have the ability to buy it online.

My car had the same issue. There is no option to buy extended warranty or maintenance services like a normal car. It displayed like it is a CPO/used car.

The only way to purchase these things is from the local service center.

Doh!!! Sorry. I just checked. They removed the option to "Escalate this concern for executive review" on the website.
I still see it for Model S:
upload_2019-2-7_10-54-41.png

Hopefully they add a few more options for Model S/X like they have for the 3.

I'd tried to go to a service center or sales store and see if they can help you. With your paper work.

Interesting. Mine has sections for Service Center, Supercharging, Tesla Referral Program, Support, Autopilot Upgrade, Tesla Shop, Charging Installation, Purchase a Maintenance Plan or Extended Service Agreement and My Documents.
Yes. I have another "new" car. It does have everything you mentioned.

Just the car that I bought as "demo/floor model" doesn't have that. I believe if you have a CPO/used car or you are a second owner, it would display that way.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker