Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has no competetion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
This should be the headline we read often, instead of the stupid Tesla Killer slant we get. Audi has 10,000 reservations for the E-tron worldwide requiring only a 1K deposit? Only 3200 of those are US. The press should be pointing out how Tesla Model X required a $5k-$40K deposit and they had over 30K preorders before they could deliver the first cars.
Audi is going to get their lunch eaten. They will never sell more than 5,000 etrons a year in the US.
It will likely be the same with MB and Jaguar.
Which SUV in MB lineup for example is the EQC designed to be better than?

What I find so fascinating is the hit job here is against the ONLY US automaker that actually makes cars for the US market in the USA and say... Mexico or Canada or China. While Tesla will soon have a factory in Asia, that is for cars sold to Asia.

So you have US media and GOP senators both going after one of the only companies that is actually ramping up US manufacturing... with hit job article after hit job article... all because they hate Silicon Valley tech... which I might also add is the primary industry lifty up the US economy...

Yeah, it's unfortunate when some take the easy political view. The real problem is that entrenched interests from both(all) parties face an existential threat to their gravy train. I'm quite sure for example the Michigan Auto Dealers group is mostly comprised of pro-union democrats. Yet they are fighting Tesla with all of their might. But disruption always happens this way. The only thing that will save the legacy OEMs is government bailouts IMO. I can't think of one of them that has a real handle on this disruption.
Read the Innovators Dilemma. Then tell me how this is not disruption on the Kodak scale.

Reactions: COrocket and gavine
I was referring to the senator that wants to go after the tax credit and flip it to a fee to operate an EV.

But I agree with going after Tesla over unions...

Unions are why the US even has a middle class. As a political scientist I highly suspect the reason Communists failed in the USA was that Unions gave the working class a living wage that they lacked in so many other places. The Communists just failed to find an angry enough proletariat here when the time was ripe... And it wasn’t for lack of trying...

• Helpful
Reactions: SDRick and Evoforce
Model Y is a very important vehicle for Tesla. Notice how most of the manufacturers jumping into the EV game are [obviously] targeting the small to mid-size SUV market. I know Elon said they are ready to unveil it any point between now and March 2019, but we'll see...

If MY is a smashing success like Model 3 it will be total domination. Only thing Audi and MB have is a slight head-start.

Good question for model Y. I suspect the same plants as M3. Or if he wants to really slap the “big 3” in the face... buy a plant in Detroit and hire the grandkids of all the folks the “big 3” laid off when they moved their plants overseas. ;)

But with the M3 Tesla has now learned how to do rapid manufacturing the Silicon Valley way, so they might have an easier time ramping up the MY, no matter where they do it.

(ps: I see a lot of spelling errors in my posts above... I suck at iPhone typing, sorry about that... Above I had also meant to note that Tesla is the only US maker making cars sold to North America in the USA and NOT Mexico, Canada, etc... As much as I support the idea if boosting Mexico’s economy - which would solve so many issues - I also think it’s important to note that Tesla is the only actual US automaker...)

Typical useless trash-talking. There's plenty of competition looming, starting with the Kona EV which has a lot of advantages over the Model 3 (HUD, heated stearing wheel, cooled seats, CUV form-factor with hatch, cheaper price, probably better build quality, etc...) Expect that not to sit on lots like Bolts do. Once a car ticks all the boxes, it will sell. The only bottleneck that will be battery supplies.

Typical useless trash-talking. There's plenty of competition looming, starting with the Kona EV which has a lot of advantages over the Model 3 (HUD, heated stearing wheel, cooled seats, CUV form-factor with hatch, cheaper price, probably better build quality, etc...) Expect that not to sit on lots like Bolts do. Once a car ticks all the boxes, it will sell. The only bottleneck that will be battery supplies.
OK, but you do realize the Kona EV is a compliance car? They will sell them in ZEV states and not in volumes over 30K a year. Instead of responding to my useless trash talking, show me how the Kona EV will take out Tesla in any category. You were probably saying the Bolt would crush Tesla.

show me how the Kona EV will take out Tesla in any category. You were probably saying the Bolt would crush Tesla.

Anything can be considered a compliance car if supplies are constrained by battery shortages. So that complaint will persist for a long time regardless of what the car companies really intend. The more important criteria is how buyers who manage to obtain said vehicle feel about it. For those who can get a car like a Kona or Niro, it's in most respects a more attractive proposition than an overpriced Model 3 with chronic quality defects. That matters a hell of a lot more than your typical compliance car like an eGolf. These companies are in the business of making money. Should demand outstrip supply, don't expect them to not attempt to remediate the situation.

Note that at present the base Model 3 is available in ZERO quantities. So as limited as the Kona and Niro may be, that still bests Tesla. And for those who really want the Model Y, those cars are more attractive even if the base Model 3 becomes readily available. So yes, Tesla is shipping a lot of cars, but still out of reach of those who want a sub-40K car. With the tax credits expiring it puts even more advantages on the other automakers to compete on price. The category that Tesla will be crushed on is the one the Model 3 was intended to serve, but isn't, because they still can't make the math work.

But no, let's just slap "compliance car" labels on the competition and call it a day. Rather shortsighted analysis, really.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce
Only Tesla and Nissan have committed to volume EV outside of China. Tesla appears capped for production over the next 5 years or so. This is discouraging as far as addressing climate change.

The Kona's weight shows its not a volume design. Hyundai will optimize and remove a couple hundred pounds of a EV designed for high volume, But I don't think its fair to say that the Kona is a compliance car. I think its a stepping stone. I do think Hyundai will be a major EV manufacturer.

Better convenience tech than the Bolt..
But only 50,000 production in 2019, sales are global, probably favoring Korea while they have the large China-battling subsidy.
Not especially quick. Slower than the Bolt.
No AWD.
No AWD. For emphasis. Tesla figured out that AWD is important to the market and got it done it 4 years ago.