Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has no competetion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anything can be considered a compliance car if supplies are constrained by battery shortages. So that complaint will persist for a long time regardless of what the car companies really intend. The more important criteria is how buyers who manage to obtain said vehicle feel about it. For those who can get a car like a Kona or Niro, it's in most respects a more attractive proposition than an overpriced Model 3 with chronic quality defects. That matters a hell of a lot more than your typical compliance car like an eGolf. These companies are in the business of making money. Should demand outstrip supply, don't expect them to not attempt to remediate the situation.

Note that at present the base Model 3 is available in ZERO quantities. So as limited as the Kona and Niro may be, that still bests Tesla. And for those who really want the Model Y, those cars are more attractive even if the base Model 3 becomes readily available. So yes, Tesla is shipping a lot of cars, but still out of reach of those who want a sub-40K car. With the tax credits expiring it puts even more advantages on the other automakers to compete on price. The category that Tesla will be crushed on is the one the Model 3 was intended to serve, but isn't, because they still can't make the math work.

But no, let's just slap "compliance car" labels on the competition and call it a day. Rather shortsighted analysis, really.
You kinda like insulting people, don't you?
The bottom line is Tesla is selling the crap out of 60K ASP cars. And they will make money on them. The reason they have no viable competition is that nobody else has figured out how to make money selling BEVs. Tesla has. Tesla also has products that are aspirational.
Nobody dreams of owning a Kona EV, or a Bolt.

Tesla stock skyrockets after legendary short seller goes long
Looks like one short has come around.
“Rumors of the Tesla killers have been as constant and unfounded as Bob Lutz’s call for Tesla’s bankruptcy,” Citron said, taking a jab at the former General Motors Co. GM, +1.85% executive and frequent Tesla critic.
In its Tuesday note, however, Citron said that while “the media has been focused on Elon Musk’s eccentric, outlandish and at times offensive behavior, it has failed to notice the legitimate disruption of the auto industry that is currently being DOMINATED by Tesla,” using all caps.
But, “plain and simple -- Tesla is destroying the competition,” it said. “It looks like it is the competition that is taking the Ambien,” referring to Musk’s admission that he sometimes uses the sleeping pill.

Typical useless trash-talking. There's plenty of competition looming, starting with the Kona EV which has a lot of advantages over the Model 3 (HUD, heated stearing wheel, cooled seats, CUV form-factor with hatch, cheaper price, probably better build quality, etc...) Expect that not to sit on lots like Bolts do. Once a car ticks all the boxes, it will sell. The only bottleneck that will be battery supplies.
Without the equivalent of a Supercharger network such cars are limited to local driving only. That limits their appeal considerably. When one can get in a Kona and easily drive a thousand miles, then it might become a serious Tesla competitor. Until then it is just another local or commuter car. The current CCS/Chademo DCFC networks are a joke. They have years to go before they allow easy long distance travel and even then it will be a confusing hodge-podge of billing systems and user hassles.

The usual excuse is that local driving is all that is necessary because nobody would bother to drive more than a few hundred miles anyway. I don't buy it. Tesla showed that EVs don't have to be that way.

Tesla also has products that are aspirational.
Nobody dreams of owning a Kona EV, or a Bolt.
This is it in a nutshell!, I have always been fascinated by quality new tech, when the first Tesla roadster was released I followed it with envy thinking how cool it would be to own one, first one I saw in the wild while driving through Santa Barbara I was telling my wife "look honey, that car runs only off batteries!" When the S was released I thought now we are getting somewhere, a practical car with serious range and damn sexy to boot, I always wanted one but at that time I could not justify the cost, then the 3 is announced and I stand in line for 4 hours 175 people back from the front and I knew that THIS car was the real game changer, now that I have one I know it is, would I like more room as in say an suv? sure but I am not attracted to other offerings as they just seem like afterthoughts and not as a purpose built EV, having owned at least 20 different cars this one is by far my favorite

No AWD...Tesla figured out that AWD is important to the market and got it done it 4 years ago.

The base model 3 won't be either, and will be less equipped in the interior department.

The first vehicles that will tick EVERY box will probably be the VW ID series, as they are designed to be RWD and optional dual-motor just like Tesla.

I also think it's untrue that the Kona/Niro are not aspirational. The brand reputation has improved a lot in recent years. Also at the top of JD Powers rankings, whereas, with Tesla, um, you have THIS.

Consumer Reports: Tesla's reliability tumbles to near the bottom in latest survey

Kia is at 5, Hyundai at 10, and Tesla at 27.

Last edited:
Not sure why the OP started this thread because Tesla has a lot of competition and its going to increase. When Nissan comes out with the 250 mile LEAF and SUV, Tesla will certainly notice. Most Americans have no interest in an EV so it is still a niche market overall. America still loves big trucks and SUV's. So they are in fact competitors to Tesla as well. The thread should read "Tesla has many competitors but for now they are number 1"

Not sure why the OP started this thread because Tesla has a lot of competition and its going to increase. When Nissan comes out with the 250 mile LEAF and SUV, Tesla will certainly notice. Most Americans have no interest in an EV so it is still a niche market overall. America still loves big trucks and SUV's. So they are in fact competitors to Tesla as well. The thread should read "Tesla has many competitors but for now they are number 1"

September 21018:
Crossover: 38.4%
Pick-up: 16.3%
Small car: 13.3%
Mid-size car: 11.1%
SUV: 8.4%
Luxury car: 5.4%
Van: 5.6%
Large car: 1.3%

Crossover + small car = 38.4% + 13.3% = 51.7%

The car industry loves pick-ups and SUVs.
People like ride height and AWD.

But the other guys suffer the Nokia problem at this point.

"Nokia is big. They can make lots of phones. Of course they'll catch up and pass Apple."

When an industry is disrupted, it's just not a given that the large current players will be able to make the leap.

Tesla really has no competitors until it is proven that those old guys can compete.

Reactions: EinSV
September 21018:
Crossover: 38.4%
Pick-up: 16.3%
Small car: 13.3%
Mid-size car: 11.1%
SUV: 8.4%
Luxury car: 5.4%
Van: 5.6%
Large car: 1.3%

Crossover + small car = 38.4% + 13.3% = 51.7%

The car industry loves pick-ups and SUVs.
People like ride height and AWD.
So Crossover + Truck + SUV = 63.10%. No wonder Ford is dropping cars from its production! If Tesla were to bring the pickup and Model Y out next year they could really grab more market share. And if they made a big (Suburban size) SUV they could get those buyers as well. Seems like a large SUV could have a much bigger battery pack to get say 400+ miles range?

Tesla does not care about the leaf. A 250 mile leaf still has no good charging network for long distance travel.
And people do not aspire to own a leaf. They may want one for practical reasons, kinda like a dishwasher. But nobody lust after a leaf.
People lust after Teslas and dream of owning one someday.

I dont understand when critics say Tesla is a “niche” market? In the 3rd quarter they outsold Mecedes and in the next quarter will top BMW. In 6 months the Model 3 will out sell Accord and Camry. They still have over 300k reservations for M3. How is Tesla a niche market???

Reactions: svp6
I dont understand when critics say Tesla is a “niche” market? In the 3rd quarter they outsold Mecedes and in the next quarter will top BMW. In 6 months the Model 3 will out sell Accord and Camry. They still have over 300k reservations for M3. How is Tesla a niche market???
EV in general is a niche market right now. That may change. And dont get hung up on BMW or Mercedes. Never have they been big sellers in US market. Look at GM, Ford, Toyota and Honda and FCA

No kidding. In September the Model 3 was (again) the largest selling car in the U.S. by revenue -- almost doubling Camry revenues and more than doubling the revenue of every other passenger car (including the Accord):

US-Best-Selling-Cars-in-September-in-Revenue.png

Tesla Model 3 Is Best Selling Car In USA In Terms Of Revenue (Again), Nearly Double #2 Toyota Camry's Revenue — #CleanTechnica Report | CleanTechnica

Sure SUVs and Pickups are popular, but it's a bit much to call all passenger cars a "niche."

My post said EV in general is a niche market. Only 1.3% of all vehicles sold are EV as of the end of 2017.

One of the main reasons crossovers, vans, and SUVs became popular over sedans is that CAFE kept forcing the sedans smaller and smaller. This has been a real problem for families with kids. A neat thing about EVs is that sedans can become bigger again - along with all the other advantages an electrified drive train brings. No one but Tesla seems to have figured that out.

Reactions: EinSV and Hitman007
No kidding. In September the Model 3 was (again) the largest selling car in the U.S. by revenue -- almost doubling Camry revenues and more than doubling the revenue of every other passenger car (including the Accord):

View attachment 346872

Tesla Model 3 Is Best Selling Car In USA In Terms Of Revenue (Again), Nearly Double #2 Toyota Camry's Revenue — #CleanTechnica Report | CleanTechnica

Sure SUVs and Pickups are popular, but it's a bit much to call all passenger cars a "niche."
Thats just for September. Can you post the year to date chart?

Tesla is a “disrupter” in the auto industry. GM, Ford are eliminating cars but Tesla gets 425k reservations for a car?? They are still ramping up production and could have sold more. The difference between, Tesla and all the other manufacturers is they dont have to advertise and the M3, MS and MX AND their owners are passionate about Tesla, something you dont see to this degree from GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda customers. Most other cars are really just commodities, NOT TESLA!

Reactions: EinSV
Thats just for September. Can you post the year to date chart?

Well, as everyone knows (even short sellers like yourself), Tesla ramped up in production in Q3 so full year numbers would be misleading.

But Q3 tells the same story as September: Model 3 is crushing it -- outselling every other passenger car by revenue by a large margin:

US-Best-Selling-Cars-in-Q3-in-Revenue.png

I think we can expect similar results in Q4 as Tesla continues to ramp up production.