Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hate Crimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad you didn't have a dash cam to show that they littered.

In WA state we have fines against littering, and fines for failing to secure a load.

So it's abundantly stupid for the Mustang owner to throw something out of his car. Even if you deserved it because you're Tesla owning scum. :p

From a Mustang owners perspective I can understand a certain level of disdain towards EV's. Obviously you don't buy a Mustang to take a corner. You buy a Mustang to go fast between stop light to stop light.

A Tesla or some other fast EV completely destroys the entire point of a Mustang aside from the whole making noise thing.

So either a Mustang owner has to have good humor about it like the ad for a Dodge Challenger Demon. Or can channel his inner rage and treat you like a Weather Man.

It's basically sucky time to be a traditional Gas burning gearhead. On the one hand there are some really solid offering out there, but at the same time it's all kinda pointless.

As a kid I had a Lambo poster like many other kids. But, what would I have today? I think it's going to take an EV/Hybrid with rockets to be exciting again.

> It’s the practice of modifying diesel exhaust systems to
> produce huge clouds of black smoke. [johnster007]

Not 'exhaust system' but the injection pump, specifically to vastly increase fuel input resulting in much unburned fuel. In a hot engine black smoke results (in a cold engine it would be white). Modifying injection pump can be a federal crime esp if done beyond any real needs such as pulling heavy loads. Operating well 'into the black' is a separate violation that points to the first violation, thus a 'twofer' that should be hard for any cop to resist. A stock diesel can't roll coal even if you try. The tall pipes are for effect, and so the driver doesn't have to breath his own politics.
--
Most often includes modifications to particulate filter so to be precise it's both the fuel and exhaust systems.

Somewhat off topic, but religion is the one protected class that I don't think belongs. All the others(including LGBTQ status) are a matter of biology, and inherent to the person. It's more than a little strange that religion gets lumped in when anyone can decide to change their religion(or reject the idea entirely) at any time.

It's because historically, discrimination on the basis of religious beliefs has been one of the most noxious of all forms of hate. You may think that it's easy to change religion. In fact, if you are truly religious, your religion is as much a part of your being as your sexuality.

As someone who owns both a Tesla and F350 diesel. It's amusing to see the trucks look at me different between the two vehicles. When I'm in the truck they just leave me alone. Tesla? Can't tell you how many like to roar past me. Dumb as can be honestly. Makes zero sense?

Truck hauls stuff.
Tesla is cheaper to drive.

Had similar experiences back in the day when I owned both a ragtop classic Corvette and a beater Volvo 240. Switching back and forth between those two during the day produced some notable moments of... different treatment.

There's a lot of poor treatment from those who perceive themselves as disadvantaged toward those who are perceived as well-off. Note some of the flyers near the Tenderloin in San Francisco or around Portland as gentrification continues. Downtown Los Angeles and areas adjacent also have some tension. The flyers actively encouraged damaging nice cars and then some.

I don't know that we're going to see the rich as a protected class anytime soon, and therefore "hateful misdemeanor" may be more appropriate than "hate crime" when it comes to bigoted or otherwise ignorant behavior directed toward Teslas. Depending upon the amount of damage caused, of course.

One of the ironies being that one can acquire a non-AP, non-salvaged Tesla all day long now for $30K. $35K after taxes and fees in California. Meanwhile, someone told me the average new car sold in America now costs $36K. Hard to believe but the point remains: Reality and perception can be two very different things.

Another irony being the whole Made in America refrain. Never mind that you can't buy a TV made in America anymore. Without getting into the tired lawyerly nitpickery of the definition of "made", most vehicles made in America have a significant percentage of imported parts. "Foreign" cars are made in multiple states (see BMW). Gotta love the low-information citizens who evidently believe that critical thinking is optional. Collective national embarrassment.

I'm puzzled by all this. I could understand the animosity if Tesla were a company based in Europe or Asia but it is strange that some Americans exhibit hate towards a US company that designs and manufactures their products in the USA. Many Europeans tend to look down their noses at most automotive offerings from the USA (based on my experience, having owned a few American cars, in Britain and Germany) but Tesla is generally respected and seen as a direct competitor by Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc.

It seems that, despite Mr Musk's prolific use of social media, swathes of Americans remain unaware that Tesla is an American company and that their cars are "Made in America".

In Europe, with one exception, I have had positive reactions to my Tesla. On the Eurotunnel train to France, a bus load of French students commented 'Like a boss!" and similar - all of which my wife found highly amusing.

Somewhat off topic, but religion is the one protected class that I don't think belongs. All the others(including LGBTQ status) are a matter of biology, and inherent to the person. It's more than a little strange that religion gets lumped in when anyone can decide to change their religion(or reject the idea entirely) at any time.

A significant portion of the population (although likely not on a Tesla message board) would disagree with your position as stated and would substitute "LGBTQ status" for "religion" in your statement.

To the OP:
I've noticed that Western WA is an odd mix of EV enthusiast and EV haters. I had a similar situation a few years back when driving a Nissan Leaf heading south on I-5. An old dually pick-up with two individuals in it were up ahead of me, they took notice of my vehicle, slowed down and the passenger chucked a sandwich at my car. Yeah,... of all things, a sandwich; half-eaten, shredded lettuce, tomato (I think) and some unidentifiable meat, on white bread...maybe mustard too(?). Anyways,... it wasn't about hatred towards the wealth that my car projected or jealousy of perceived wealth, it was a Nissan Leaf. It was an issue that they took about my car being an EV. I wasn't the only car on the road, there were plenty of other cars at that time but my car was singled out.

• Informative
Reactions: DrMike
Stopped in a bunch of SCs on a recent road trip to Missouri. Comber, ON | Maumee, OH | Lafayette, IN | Effingham, IL | Rolla, MO | Springfield, MO | Port Huron, MI - I almost feel lucky that I encountered either empty SC stations or the odd folks that have an S and ask questions about the 3. Some hard stares from others (read: ICE drivers) driving by, which was pretty funny - sorta like those videos of folks walking into lightposts when not paying attention. I love the mutual salutes when at a SC station - I imagine it's the same community feel that motorcyclists have when they do the same.

Was at a Chargepoint station in Branson, MO at the Tanger Outlets and a country western lookin fellow came up to us and couldn't stop talking about how nice looking the car was but that he was too old-school to even think about getting one, with all the new technology and "computer stuff".

I get the usual challenges from idiot drivers but I'm normally not bothered when I think about the gas (and thereby gas taxes) they'll continue paying for. Just for reference though, you can dust a Porsche Macan Turbo when he's tailgating you on a highway onramp. ;)

A significant portion of the population (although likely not on a Tesla message board) would disagree with your position as stated and would substitute "LGBTQ status" for "religion" in your statement.

Fortunately, then, I base my position on evidence acquired through observation, rather than the portion of the population that agrees with it.

That aside, I doubt even that claim. There are certainly people who believe, in spite of all available evidence, that LGBTQ status is a choice(this isn’t really central to my point, so I won’t be addressing it further). But I doubt there are many beyond the truly sheltered who don’t believe religion is. A great many people change their religious beliefs at various stages in their lives. “Conversion” is a thing, and is actively pursued by most religious orders.

Fortunately, then, I base my position on evidence acquired through observation, rather than the portion of the population that agrees with it.

That aside, I doubt even that claim. There are certainly people who believe, in spite of all available evidence, that LGBTQ status is a choice(this isn’t really central to my point, so I won’t be addressing it further). But I doubt there are many beyond the truly sheltered who don’t believe religion is. A great many people change their religious beliefs at various stages in their lives. “Conversion” is a thing, and is actively pursued by most religious orders.

It is obvious from your response on this Tesla message board regarding your societal/religious/scientific opinions that you have given your beliefs much more significant thought than other people have and thus your opinions/beliefs are undoubtedly correct.

Throwing things at my car and flipping me off? Now thats extreme.

I have not had this extreme happen to me yet. I have had many other occurrences of veering around my car, passing me on the highway and then passing me again and again. Of course that involves a lot of them slowing down as well in other lanes so they can pass again.

Flying around me crazily. Circling me at 75MPH. Its real. My wife has her nose in the phone all the time she thinks I'm crazy. She cannot see in the rearview mirror either. I can.

My daughter on the other hand is in tune with it completely. She sees it clearly as I do. Its a revolution in auto manufacturing and the future. Many hate it. Tell you the truth, if it gets dangerous that may be the end of my Tesla experience, I cannot afford that possibility. People carry guns here in FL.

I picked up my daughter from Volkswagen dealership after leaving her car for service. It was not a friendly experience. These people are not happy. In fact one salesman came up to me and told me so. He was nice enough about it, but he was like Tesla brand is ruining lives and putting people out of work and thats why they act the way they are.

Really? What parts? It seems to me that more of the car (body, motors, suspension, etc.) is made here than in most any other car, but I really don't know that (I just was impressed by the factory tour).

I was under the assumption that they were Made in America too. Open one up like I have with my own it's usual suspects. China, Mexico. It's just assembled here not made here. Sucks, I'd rather see American jobs for the American future.

It seems that, despite Mr Musk's prolific use of social media, swathes of Americans remain unaware that Tesla is an American company and that their cars are "Made in America".
Elon's accent tells 'mericans that it's a car from some foreign country. To be honest, I ended up not liking the last couple of American cars I owned and preferring Honda. It has taken some adjustment in thinking for me to realize that Tesla is indeed American made. The sleek lines, the concept... lead people to think it's some ritzy european car. I think of Tesla as the "Apple" of cars... sans the suicidal Foxconn workers.
PS: GM really hit a home run with the Chevy Bolt. Now all my cars are made in 'merica.

People carry guns here in FL.
....and in South Carolina too... and in my car as well... :) You know not all people who carry are crazy.... in some circles having a CWP is the "hey this guy isn't a felon and prolly a good guy" signal.

I picked up my daughter from Volkswagen dealership after leaving her car for service. It was not a friendly experience. These people are not happy. In fact one salesman came up to me and told me so. He was nice enough about it, but he was like Tesla brand is ruining lives and putting people out of work and thats why they act the way they are.

I think he's talking about the mechanics. I can't see the dealers being happy at all with EVs. No $450 tranny flushes, no persistent oil changes... and a veritable banana republic has been built up all around the maintenance of ICE cars. I can only imagine the same issues 100 years ago... what will all the out of work buggy whip makers do?

While I'm at it... we were in the Charlotte NC service center and happened to meet the Tesla training guy who is currently traveling the country in a Model 3. Super nice guy. He was spot on.... Tesla is snatching up young folks out of the tech schools to teach them how Tesla wants their wrenches turned. Apparently there's a waiting list to be a Tesla mechanic. He mentioned "kids" who have difficultly accepting they can't be super stars on day one... that they will have to pay their dues and wash and vacuum cars for a while before moving up the food chain. So I'm very happy to see Tesla seeking tech school people! Tell the VW salesman that those tech school grads are American!