Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla head on collision with a Honda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my thought as well. The report did something I've griped about: called it a Tesla without a model:

I'm going to assume an S though since I doubt a Roadster could do this kind of damage:

View attachment 19447

It is a Model S. See the article in LA times.

600.jpg

this story has totally ruined my day.

i feel so bad for those two guys in the accord and their families.

i (really do now) pray that the Tesla owner was not f'ing around with his touchscreen. the media will have a field day with that.

i also wonder if the driver of the Tesla is a member of this website?

can you imagine surviving an accident like that, knowing you just killed two people? the Tesla driver's life is over. i wouldn't be able to handle that...

:crying:

Prayers sent. I have had to restrain myself a few times driving our Model S from trying to select music on the touchscreen. I realized I am at risk and putting others at risk by being less focused on the road. I don't know what happened here, and hope the investigators can determine the cause. With the Tesla driver alive, I am sure we'll all know at some point. Very tragic.

Is this the first fatal accident with a Tesla? There have been a number of accident in the past, but this is the first one that I can think of where someone was killed. With the number of Tesla vehicles now on the road, it was only a matter of time.

My thoughts go out to everyone involved.

I wonder if law enforcement will request logs from Tesla.

Sometimes these head ons are a result of a sudden physical thing happening to the driver more than something with tje car (low blood pressure, hypoglycemia, stroke, heart attack etc.)

Agree. If it was a physical thing, that would be less difficult to accept as sometime unpreventable, as compared to a distracted driver or mechanical failure. Irrespective, this is a horrible accident.

All other cars have black boxes that log some parameters, but they Are only availible offline and is used In investigating accidents like these.

I am guessing the Model S logs everything for a certain amount of time/miles - but Tesla does not access it unless it is really needed, like here.

i also wonder if the driver of the Tesla is a member of this website?

There's a member named LagunaDallas that's from Laguna and has a black P85, but with so many Model S's in CA that's a long shot. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/member.php/11477-LagunaDallas He's got grey wheels though and I can't tell from the pic if those are grey. I think not, because I think I see a sliver of a light wheel. Grey should blend in more.

It's very sad this happened, and it would be extra sad if the driver of the Model S was distracted by the control screen. But it's not like the Model S is the only car that has a control screen, sound system or other functions that can distract a driver (and require taking your eyes off the road to use them). These kind of accidents have - sadly - been happening for many years already.

Offset or small-overlap frontal collisions are really bad. Very hard for a car's traditional crumple zone structure to absorb energy while keeping car parts out of the passenger compartment. I would think the resulting twisting motion would make it harder for airbags to protect against head/neck injury as well.

From a Car& Driver August 2012 blog entry: IIHS Adds New Frontal Crash Test, Most Cars Expected to Perform Poorly
A 2009 IIHS study revealed that among cars with good ratings for frontal crash protection, small overlap collisions make up almost 25 percent of crashes resulting in serious or fatal injuries to front-seat occupants.
(Thoughts go out to those involved. Didn't mean for this to come off as cold or impersonal as it read afterwards.)