Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla head on collision with a Honda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a side note, I happened to mention this crash in a thread about electric cars in a motorcycle forum I often visit.
Turned out one of the members is a friend of the guy who is currently trying to convert his stretched Westfalia camper into an EV using Tesla drivetrain and battery. Apparently the components are from the Tesla involved in this very accident :eek:

Nope, the Stretchla project is using a different car. Compare photos here
I'm living proof the Model S is the safest car ever made!!
and here
From a Dream to a Goal | Stretchla Blog

A bigger question to me is how can the water district get sued? I can see the city or county getting sued, but what does the water district have to do with traffic accidents?

The accident happened at an area where the road goes from 2 to 1 lane for a tunnel or bridge. It could be argued that this is a result of saving money on construction of the bridge or tunnel. A jury might agree that this narrowing raises risk of accidents and the responsible organization did not appropriately mitigate the risks to innocent parties in accidents. For example, a central barrier could have prevented the Model S from moving into oncoming traffic.

The accident happened at an area where the road goes from 2 to 1 lane for a tunnel or bridge. It could be argued that this is a result of saving money on construction of the bridge or tunnel. A jury might agree that this narrowing raises risk of accidents and the responsible organization did not appropriately mitigate the risks to innocent parties in accidents. For example, a central barrier could have prevented the Model S from moving into oncoming traffic.

Hopefully a responsible jury would also see it is necessary to slow down for portions of the road which might be more dangerous. Just looking at the damage to the vehicle, it's evident the collision occurred at a very high speed and so the driver of the Tesla was not exercising reasonable caution.

It really pisses me off when people blame their mistakes on other people - this culture is infecting the UK too with "sue your doctor" ads popping up on TV now.

I really wish we could get all our lawmakers on the receiving end of our current tort law system. They might think differently if we could clamp a good PI attorney to their asses.

Most of our lawmakers are attorneys. Guess why the tort laws are the way they are. This wasn't always the case, originally lawyers couldn't hold office because as officers of the court there was a conflict of interest. This was changed around 1850 and lawyer politicians have been working to butter their bread ever since.

the complaint filed on behalf of six relatives of Casique-Salinas, court records show
Especially when fatalities are involved, it seems totally reasonable for the representatives of the relatives of the victim(s) to consider all possible avenues for compensation. Wouldn't it be malpractice for their law firms to do otherwise?

Why would two car dealerships be named in this lawsuit?

Shotgun approach. I've seen this happen quite a bit. A contractor working in a facility I used to work for was injured (due to his own negligence) and the law suit named everyone they could think of including the electricity supplier who "knew or out to have known" they were distributing power to a potentially dangerous site. I think the idea is to name everyone you can think of, let the courts sort it out and hope something sticks.

Shotgun approach. I've seen this happen quite a bit. A contractor working in a facility I used to work for was injured (due to his own negligence) and the law suit named everyone they could think of including the electricity supplier who "knew or out to have known" they were distributing power to a potentially dangerous site. I think the idea is to name everyone you can think of, let the courts sort it out and hope something sticks.

Can't wrap my brain around that. It's not how I was raised, it's not how I think.

I can't believe that two people died and he only got 2 misdemeanors. That's devaluing the lives involved...this wasn't an accident. This was the cause of two people driving with a reckless disregard for the lives of others, including themselves. People do stupid things but just because someone is a wealthy doctor doesn't mean they can get a lesser sentence. Justice should be blind, not stupid.

Reactions: anticitizen13.7