Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla head on collision with a Honda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My BMW M3 was vandalized years ago by somebody throwing a coffee cup at the car while it was parked. The cup went through the driver's window (smashing it), and continued on to crack my windshield. So, yeah, if somebody threw one at me while driving, I'd probably flinch. I'm sure we'll learn more soonish.

Crikey, what do they make coffee cups out of in San Francisco? Rocks?

This is a tragedy, as all such accidents are. I admit, however, to drawing some solace from seeing just how well-designed and -built the Model S really is.

It's just one horrific accident, but the car performed as promised by Elon. Judging by the skid marks, it looks like the MS had enough control after the impact to steer out of the road and park against the guardrail. Usually cars "bounce" off of each other and you would expect to find the MS disabled in the road way. It looks like the car was drivable enough for it to be "parked" out of traffic and away from the impact scene. The hood was pushed up and the driver may not have been able to see out of the windshield after impact. That would explain why he headed over to the guardrail. It would have been a visual reference out the side window and allow him to get out of the way of a second accident.

One of the most dangerous things about a frontal impact in an ICE is the fact that the heavy motor can be pushed back through the firewall into the cabin. With the Tesla's "frunk", there is no danger of that.

It's just one horrific accident, but the car performed as promised by Elon. Judging by the skid marks, it looks like the MS had enough control after the impact to steer out of the road and park against the guardrail.

I don't think so. If you look near the S, the guard rail is obviously damaged. I think it's far more likely that the crash caused the S to skid into the guard rail. If you consider the screen snaps from the video, that left front corner is pretty smashed in. No way that wheel could still steer. I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply crushed within the body work, therefore not turning and dragging the car off to the left until it hit the rail.

It does seem as if the car protected its driver very well, though.

It's just one horrific accident, but the car performed as promised by Elon. Judging by the skid marks, it looks like the MS had enough control after the impact to steer out of the road and park against the guardrail. Usually cars "bounce" off of each other and you would expect to find the MS disabled in the road way. It looks like the car was drivable enough for it to be "parked" out of traffic and away from the impact scene. The hood was pushed up and the driver may not have been able to see out of the windshield after impact. That would explain why he headed over to the guardrail. It would have been a visual reference out the side window and allow him to get out of the way of a second accident.

One of the most dangerous things about a frontal impact in an ICE is the fact that the heavy motor can be pushed back through the firewall into the cabin. With the Tesla's "frunk", there is no danger of that.

>>One of the most dangerous things about a frontal impact in an ICE is the fact that the heavy motor can be pushed back through the firewall into the cabin. With the Tesla's "frunk", there is no danger of that.<<

Most of the newer car engines DROP when there's frontal impact to avoid that problem.

Several folks have speculated that the S was perhaps driving between the double yellow lines, but got to a point where that center divider went away, and that it therefore ended up in oncoming traffic.

Looking at the ABC 7 video that was linked earlier, I'm not convinced that's the case. Have a look at this frame. It looks to me as if the accident occurred where there was still a lot of space between the double lines. Perhaps we'll learn more once we learn the role of the reported third car.

Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 11.07.24 AM.png

The posted image suggests the Honda was thrown more or less 90 degrees out from the collision point, while the Model S skidded right, then left, and ended up in the guard rail.

This fits with the Honda being a significantly lighter vehicle, and it's fairly easy to se it must have been a very violent impact. The Honda seems to have gone from 50 mph (?) to 0 mph in no time at all while simultaneously rotating several times before coming to a rest. To do that damage the Model S must have been going quite fast. Also, there are no apparent skid marks before the point of collision from either vehicle, which suggests it happened quite suddenly.

Edit: Also, there is a gentle curve to the road, which suggests the Model S should have turned but went straight. This suggests the driver was distracted. Perhaps looking to the right at a Mercedes?

Last edited:
I get uneasy every time I comeback to read more about this tragic accident. I am guilty of taking off from the pole position at a light, but I always look left and right before moving, and then far down the road ahead, which I convinced myself was not that risky. I will temper my testosterone from now on, as I couldn't live with myself if i was partly the cause of something like this. God bless them all.

If tailgated and trapped I will slow down like Mark but also quickly speed up. Driving erratically frustrates the tailgater mentality even more than just slowing.
If someone is tailgating me, I take that opportunity to wash my windshield with the squirters. The car on my tail generally backs away because they don't like getting blasted with dirty windshield washer fluid spraying back from my car.

If someone is tailgating me, I take that opportunity to wash my windshield with the squirters. The car on my tail generally backs away because they don't like getting blasted with dirty windshield washer fluid spraying back from my car.

I don't like tapping the brakes, and I always stay to the right if I'm driving slower, but if I'm being tailgated in the winter, I'll move over a bit into the slushy stuff and start kicking up debris. That gets them to back off pretty quick!