Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Highlights from our upcoming Spring Release below

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless they give us FSD visualizations in AP that seems like a waste of a feature.
Probably better if they'd add the option to swipe left and get rid of the visualization all together.
Agreed. I don't see much point of having the visualization so prominent outside of testing. The only thing I use it for is figuring out what the car sees around it that makes TACC decide to hit the brakes for no apparent reason. Now that I've figured out what to look for, I can preemptively intervene before the car reacts. I'd really like the option to turn off the visualization completely and revert to the MCU1/MCU2 instrument cluster UI on my new Model S.

Agreed. I don't see much point of having the visualization so prominent outside of testing. The only thing I use it for is figuring out what the car sees around it that makes TACC decide to hit the brakes for no apparent reason. Now that I've figured out what to look for, I can preemptively intervene before the car reacts. I'd really like the option to turn off the visualization completely and revert to the MCU1/MCU2 instrument cluster UI on my new Model S.
I think it's useful for checking blind spots.

The trial FSD visualization almost appears to be an overhead view and I can see cars all around me. I like it better than the blind spot camera view feature; may even turn it off so as not to distract me.

Similar to what I see in the Trial FSD visualization. I can see all of the vehicles atound me including the blind spots. The blind spot camera views were an improvement but they are small and one must study the images to spot oncoming cars. I can instanly assess the position of vehicles around me in the FSD visualization.

Tesla_fsd_beta_update.jpg

Similar to what I see in the Trial FSD visualization. I can see all of the vehicles atound me including the blind spots. The blind spot camera views were an improvement but they are small and one must study the images to spot oncoming cars. I can instanly assess the position of vehicles around me in the FSD visualization.

Plus you can spin that street view around with a finger to see All cars behind you.

The last thing we want is our car to start guessing where we are or if it's the person at the trunk (if it would use the camera) that's holding the phone key... With BT only, you just have no clue about the location.

Just to give an example, my M3 is parked in front of my house, and if I keep BT on, in different rooms of my house (at the side where my car is parked) my phone key is connected to the car. In not a single case, I would like to risk that my phone key is connected to the car and at the same time any person would be standing behind my car which would open my trunk.

With UWB on the other hand, the car knows exactly the position (and distance) of the phone key, at least this is how it works with Apple's solution with for example AirTags.
For those disagreeing, it would be interesting to learn why.

After some reading on comparison of Bluetooth and UWB technology, I’m reading a positioning accuracy of 1-3 meter for BT and 0.1-0.3 meter for UWB.

For an application in which location is key (automatic opening of trunk), therefore it seems quite logical to rely on UWB. For manually opening your door or trunk, the lower accuracy of BT is less of an issue.

Yes, Tesla does use Bluetooth signal strength to determine whether it should unlock the door. Tesla has changed the strength recognition back and forth multiple times in previous releases. I recall in one of the releases last year, Tesla didn't recognize if I was at the door if I had the phone in my back pocket.

Next step would be phoneless instead of keyless entry: using facial recognition via cameras could be a better way for Tesla to identify owners or authorized drivers, even when they don't have their phone with them. This could improve security and convenience for Tesla owners.
How long until tall owners get tired of bending over to put their face in front of the b-pillar camera?
As a +6' person, I can tell you, not long. What then? Add another camera just for facial recognition?
Probably would have to anyway since the fisheye would distort anyway.
I don't see it as a viable option in the near future.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
even when they don't have their phone with them.
I'd be happy with a repackaged key card in some other form factor than a ring (I don't even wear a wedding band, seen too many degloved finger pictures). I tried repackaging the "guts" of a card into a little RFID fob case but broke it in the process. My use case is for workouts etc. when I want to leave the phone in the car but a card form factor doesn't work. I want something I can put on a small carabiner keychain and clip in my pocket.

I do have a watch app (Drive) but it is finicky and I don't fully trust it (or trust myself not to break the watch, because naturally that will only happen when I'm relying on it as my key).

• Disagree

Actual question, how do you trust such a limited view of the vehicles around you though? For example, you can't tell from this angle if a vehicle is approaching your blind spot at a fast speed in an adjacent lane. That happens pretty often in any sort of unexpected traffic slowdown. unexpected traffic slowdowns are when I want to be able to quickly assess if it's safe to switch to a different lane most often. Even if you drag the visualization around it only shows you a few feet behind your vehicle.

Really not liking the snubbing of Intel 3/Y vehicles with this update.

I have several buddies who bought their M3/MY in 2022 and have Intel processors. To think that a car that is barely 2 years old can’t handle a UI update is concerning.

Tesla has added/removed certain features (games, zoom) for specific chipsets, so how can this update not be tailored to Intel cars too?

If the thought process is “upgrade your car” then Tesla should make Ryzen MCU upgrade kits, my 2019 has 35k miles on it, no interest in getting out of it any time soon, but I would upgrade to AMD if it was an option (I know it’s not and most likely won’t ever be)

100% with you.

Not buying car brands that force planned obsolescence on you is the only viable option. But the options are running out fast lol.

Anything that “gets better” with software ultimately “goes obsolete” when developers decide that a certain hardware is not what they want to support. There are no laws or regulations that prevent them from doing that. If tomorrow Tesla removes all features (say sentry and autopilot) and apps (say Spotify or YouTube) from their car that you own and leaves their car as barebones machine that merely shows gears and speed, they will just show you a fine print to get out of lawsuits. That’s the downside of buying a connected machine. You own the car. You don’t own the software on the car. Tesla does.

Another option is to take the car home and switch off all connectivity and never update it - eventually you’ll have to I’d think.

Our 2016 Prius is EXACTLY how it was on day 1, there’s always an option to buy cars like that. Nothing breaks. But nothing gets added, either.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Actual question, how do you trust such a limited view of the vehicles around you though? For example, you can't tell from this angle if a vehicle is approaching your blind spot at a fast speed in an adjacent lane. That happens pretty often in any sort of unexpected traffic slowdown. unexpected traffic slowdowns are when I want to be able to quickly assess if it's safe to switch to a different lane most often. Even if you drag the visualization around it only shows you a few feet behind your vehicle.

I would trust it as far as I would trust a conventional blind spot indicator light other cars use; maybe a bit more. I would like jt if the visualizion showed cars farther to the rear than they do now. I would think that the software engineers could do that. The cameras are good but detecting fast approaching cars can be difficult at times. Things like glare on the screan on bright days, the small size of the image combined with other objects in the field of view can make detecting an oncoming vehicle difficult. One has to study the scene for a moment to decifer what is actually occurring. Also, one has to activate the turn signal to see anything approaching; the viualization is always there and easily glanced at whenever desired without the need to activate it.

I would trust it as far as I would trust a conventional blind spot indicator light other cars use; maybe a bit more. I would like jt if the visualizion showed cars farther to the rear than they do now. I would think that the software engineers could do that. The cameras are good but detecting fast approaching cars can be difficult at times. Things like glare on the screan on bright days, the small size of the image combined with other objects in the field of view can make detecting an oncoming vehicle difficult. One has to study the scene for a moment to decifer what is actually occurring. Also, one has to activate the turn signal to see anything approaching; the viualization is always there and easily glanced at whenever desired without the need to activate it.
There is only one real solution to this problem, because there will always be driving scenarios that no computer or human can see or predict in a single perspective point of data processing (views from one car).
That solution being that all cars are connected to each other, using the other cars data around them to create a mesh system that feeds all the data to each vehicle.
So in the scenario discussed about fast moving vehicles coming from behind you, your car would be able to see it coming by using the data from the car 5 places behind you. And when the computer can see it coming from there, it can predict it won't be slowing by the time it gets next to you, so when you go to change lanes, it'll intervene and warn you.

Now, I realize my "solution" is not possible at this time. But it's becoming more and more possible as technology continues to advance.
So one day, it will be possible, and actually, it's probably inevitable, because governments will realize that with this tech, for example, law enforcement could just shut down a car rather than continue with a dangerous car chase.

But that also means all of society would have to give up even more freedom and privacy than we already have.
I'm not for it at all. But behind the lie of "public safety", every gov will jump at the chance to take more control of us. Call me a pessimist or conspiracy theorist, but I've seen it happen far too many times, so I'd call this an educated prediction. It'll happen shortly after the tech makes it possible. 10-20 yrs?

Reactions: gtae07
Please tell me there's still an option to have the map (including satellite view) mostly full-screen like it is in the current version of the UI?? Definitely hoping they didn't throw that away just for the pretty AP visualizations!

If they did then I guess I just need to hope that I don't get any of the changes on my Intel-based car...