Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ignoring older cars!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of latest updates are requiring MCU2 or FSD, so, you might only getting 'hot fix' if you don't have them as your car already at its optimal state. Retrofit your MCU or trade in for newer tech. !!

That’s the problem. Recently we needed a new MCU. It was covered under warranty. We couldn’t say “Hey, can we pay the extra $2000 and get the MCU2 instead of another MCU1?” I can’t get an MCU2 off a junked car and install it myself either. Voids warranty, and I’m pretty sure I would need Tesla to accept the new MCU as a part of my archaic sedan, which would mean they know I’m modifying the car.

Regardless of how old the vehicle is, owners should be able to schedule retrofitting at whatever expense they want to charge us. If I want the interior refurbished, or changed completely. If I want FSD and autopilot 2.0, I should be able to pay Tesla to update the car. I shouldn’t just shove it in the dresser drawer with my iPhone 5 and 3, and get a new one. Cars should be like commercial planes, in that they are updated every so often, not completely scrapped just because passengers want access to a USB Charger.

Assuming Tesla is not ignoring early cars, what type of an update/functionality given the hardware restrictions are you expecting to get?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but am curious to know what exactly do you expect to get in terms of an update or new functionality.

As a suggestion, buy our old Tesla S and give us a good discount (say 20%) to buy a new Model S. This will spur Model S sale and potentially obviate any litigation associated with older battery, FSD promise made when the car was sold.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
As a suggestion, buy our old Tesla S and give us a good discount (say 20%) to buy a new Model S. This will spur Model S sale and potentially obviate any litigation associated with older battery, FSD promise made when the car was sold.
How is this related to the OP complaining about not getting software updates and new functionality on his car?

Considering that I just paid USD 38,000 for a loaded 2016 90D (38,000 miles) with a two year warranty from Tesla, I am not complaining about some missing gimicks - while I enjoy driving with my open sun roof....

Not sure I even care about the MCU 2 updates and full self-driving... well, I guess that is far enough off (in a way acceptable to Canadian authorities) that I just don't worry about it yet.

I would happy just to get the functionality that I paid for when I bought the FSD for my 2017 Model S. I cannot utilize any of the newer software upgrades because I do not have the appropriate HW for FSD. Still waiting for the new computer we were promised.

This sounds like a bunch of whining to me. Roadster owners can't get parts. Tesla won't repair our batteries: they will replace it for $29,000 IF that option is still available, which SOME SCs say they are and other not.

Tesla is now buying wrecked and working Roadsters so they can strip them of their parts to provide to current Roadster owners. These are not new parts, these are 10-year old parts sold at "Tesla Prices."

So anyone who owns a MS or beyond has nothing to complain about.

I have a 2014 85 Model S with 90k miles. I love it more than my kids...jk I love the updates, specially backgammon. Finally, a computer bg that can beat me. Tough, i think the algorithm cheats and gives super tesla lots of doubles...
Anyways, I missed the first autopilot by a couple of weeks. Do not regret it. I don't need anyone driving for me. I live in Miami and autopilot could not handle these morons.
My car is a true drivers car, rear wheel drive and no nonsense tech. I got free super charging for life and free LTE for life. New teslas cost monthly to stay connected and i hear not even homelink is included. My 0-60 is better than 87% of cars out there and enough to get away from fools quickly.
I bought my car to keep forever and that is my goal. I never spent any money on "maintenance", i did get the extended warranty and have used it (well worth it).
Now, i just need to kill the battery before sept 2022 (8 years warranty) and i will call that a success.
Getting about 230 miles in range, down from 267. I am hoping on a new batt and getting 280 like some folks...

That’s the problem. Recently we needed a new MCU. It was covered under warranty. We couldn’t say “Hey, can we pay the extra $2000 and get the MCU2 instead of another MCU1?” I can’t get an MCU2 off a junked car and install it myself either. Voids warranty, and I’m pretty sure I would need Tesla to accept the new MCU as a part of my archaic sedan, which would mean they know I’m modifying the car.

Regardless of how old the vehicle is, owners should be able to schedule retrofitting at whatever expense they want to charge us. If I want the interior refurbished, or changed completely. If I want FSD and autopilot 2.0, I should be able to pay Tesla to update the car. I shouldn’t just shove it in the dresser drawer with my iPhone 5 and 3, and get a new one. Cars should be like commercial planes, in that they are updated every so often, not completely scrapped just because passengers want access to a USB Charger.
Tesla is the only company does retrofit upgrade on infotainment unit in the vehicle, on fan's demand btw. :)

Reactions: Vawlkus
I agree with this but you could agree that this could mean a faster rate of depreciation for Tesla cars then for other cars. Why would anyone want to buy a used Tesla when they have so much less functionality in many areas? I don't know that the used market has totally clued into this. On Autotrader there is a 2014 P85D with Ludicrous update (very similar to my car) selling for $61k. That is about 42% of the purchase price - I am not an expert on used cars but is that about right for a six year old car?
OK, that implies your car was 142K in 2014
The average new car loses 20-30% the first year and 15% to 18% a year after that. Figuring the middle of that, and average car would be $45K. 61K is WAY above average. The Low would be $37K and the High would be $51K. Your car has depreciated WAY WAY less than other cars

I always treat my Teslas as technology products rather than cars. If I have an older smart phone that is no longer getting updates, it's time to upgrade. Obviously Tesla cars are way more expensive than smart phones, but I try to convince myself mentally that way.
Another way to think about is, no other car will get software updates that changes the cars in any significant way, so we aren't losing out much.
Although sometimes when I drive my AP1 MX, I keep getting impressed by how smooth it is and it does the basic functionalities so well where as in my AP2.5 M3, it suddenly brakes for no good reason or swirls between lanes. So newer isn't always better. At least not yet :)
Odd you should write this. I just noticed, for the first time, sudden phantom braking occurrences during a long trip in my AP1 late 2015 MS. It occurred four times in 200 miles on I-5, each time while passing a low-bed truck or trailer in the lane to my right; three of those in a gentle leftward curve in the road. One time put me at risk of being rear-ended by following traffic.

Maybe better than the old "truck lust" occurrences in the first year of AP, but I'm not sure.

The depreciation of Teslas is due to the rapidly falling price and increasing range.
Given a new Raven LR is 3.5 0-60 and 402 miles of range for $75k someone would have to be full on stupid to pay $61k for an outdated car with 2/3rds the range much less efficiency and with the batterygate chargegate issues might not be much quicker and is at significant risk of supercharging speed being cut to the point of road trips being hard.

On the updates, hell I am happy to get the nav updates for my 2014 P85, my last car Chevy wanted $175 to update a garbage system that was a year old. I actually told the dealer I thought they made the system bad to try and upsell OnStar it was that bad.
Tesla keeps working with newer phones, my wife's Impala doesn't work with her new phone, maybe we could get the car updated if we paid for it, smart year as my Tesla.

Guess my point is stop being a whinny unappreciative child and enjoy what you do get.

HERE HERE!!!

I love my 2013 model S 85. It has148k miles on it. I’m very frustrated about the mcu2 status. My mcu1 died in February and I’ve been promised an mcu2 upgrade but still nothing. I agree that it appears these older models are not a priority.

I've been so happy with my '14 P85+ unicorn, I just added a '17 X 90D to the stable. I'm a 30 plus year techie and appreciate the older one, and look forward to the HW 3 availability on my '17, I've been fortunate to buy low mile vehicles that have been taken care of so my OCD doesn't flair up. Enjoying the TSLA flair - helps a lot :)

I have a 2014 85 Model S with 90k miles. I love it more than my kids...jk I love the updates, specially backgammon. Finally, a computer bg that can beat me. Tough, i think the algorithm cheats and gives super tesla lots of doubles...
Anyways, I missed the first autopilot by a couple of weeks. Do not regret it. I don't need anyone driving for me. I live in Miami and autopilot could not handle these morons.
My car is a true drivers car, rear wheel drive and no nonsense tech. I got free super charging for life and free LTE for life. New teslas cost monthly to stay connected and i hear not even homelink is included. My 0-60 is better than 87% of cars out there and enough to get away from fools quickly.
I bought my car to keep forever and that is my goal. I never spent any money on "maintenance", i did get the extended warranty and have used it (well worth it).
Now, i just need to kill the battery before sept 2022 (8 years warranty) and i will call that a success.
Getting about 230 miles in range, down from 267. I am hoping on a new batt and getting 280 like some folks...

Nico - How did you get LTE, and for life? My MS P85 was ordered in Jan '14 and delivered end of Feb '14. Have 3G which is struggling. Should I be asking for an upgrade?