Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the call today, they are desperate to get as many cars delivered everywhere ASAP. There was a shortfall on the guidance, and i think share price will take a hit tomorrow, which is why i have a buy order in..... As we can see, production time is about 5 days, mine was a major aberration!!
They do not celebrate boxing day in the USA as far as i know, and they have been known to deliver cars on Sunday in the USA. I would think that there will be a large FIFO commissioning team flown in after launch, and there are going to be a LOT of deliveries in short order!!

I hope they are not assuming everyone will be around in mid to late December to accept delivery? Many Australians, myself included this year, go away or overseas for a couple of weeks around Christmas/ New Year.

I was driving down Burwood road last night and saw all these speed signs that said "40kmh between x and x", I don't think the Autopilot will be smart enough to distinguish between times, so I imagine if you had it on, the car would slow to 40, while everyone else is going at 80. Makes me think I don't want to put the auto pilot on in some areas -_-

School zones or high pedestrian traffic zones you mean... It could, that depends on Tesla's algorithms.

Hardware alone, MobilEye seems to be able to read everything and its OCR seems to touted to be very smart. It can even catch VSLS (Variable Speed Limit Signs) in real time and speed signs that are or have time based.

School zones or high pedestrian traffic zones you mean... It could, that depends on Tesla's algorithms.

Hardware alone, MobilEye seems to be able to read everything and its OCR seems to touted to be very smart. It can even catch VSLS (Variable Speed Limit Signs) in real time and speed signs that are or have time based.

They'll need some engineering to help localise things but you're right, the signs in Australia are quite clear and shouldn't pose too many issues.

Went by the service centre today. Still lots and lots of bodies floating around. New in/out arrows being painted on the driveway while i was there. They seem to be enclosing the downstairs area which was open covered parking originally. Is that going to be the actual workshop area? Feasible, with upstairs being a showroom/delivery area. No action at the back of the site. Did they perhaps elect not to rent that area? Whatever, they are spending a small fortune on the fitout, that is for sure. Back walls are now painted Tesla red.

Went by the service centre today. Still lots and lots of bodies floating around. New in/out arrows being painted on the driveway while i was there. They seem to be enclosing the downstairs area which was open covered parking originally. Is that going to be the actual workshop area? Feasible, with upstairs being a showroom/delivery area. No action at the back of the site. Did they perhaps elect not to rent that area? Whatever, they are spending a small fortune on the fitout, that is for sure. Back walls are now painted Tesla red.

I'm 90% sure the area underneath the showroom will be the service area. When I dropped by a week ago you could see cut outs in the base slab that would be about the size of a vehicle hoist.

I'm 90% sure the area underneath the showroom will be the service area. When I dropped by a week ago you could see cut outs in the base slab that would be about the size of a vehicle hoist.

Yesterday I saw a photo showing the area underneath the showroom and there doesn't appear to be much going on at all. Based on this, it would not surprise me if the service centre was somewhere else.

Finally had a day off today after a mega-busy month at work, so I went past the Tesla Service Centre.
Lots of work going on but no sign of actual Tesla employees yet. Took a couple of pictures whilst no one was looking.
ServiceCentreNorth.jpg

The Northern end of the Service Centre.
Lots of cabling going in at the front presumably for additional power supply. The guy standing behind the Mercedes is holding a roll of conduit, or maybe its high capacity cable?
What is presumably the show room is still full of boxes.
ServiceCentreSouth.jpg

The Southern end of the Centre looks like "Delivery Rooms" as they were fitting car sized double glass doors to the front of these rooms.
Can't wait for our turn in the delivery room.:biggrin:
Couldn't stop in Frederick Street so no pictures but nothing appeared to be happening underneath.

Yesterday I saw a photo showing the area underneath the showroom and there doesn't appear to be much going on at all. Based on this, it would not surprise me if the service centre was somewhere else.

Beyond some vehicle hoists you could fit out a service bay for a tesla in a day I would think - roll in some big tool boxes and hey presto? A lot of ICE service centres out source their tyre fitting and alignment work so don't necessarily need that equipment on site.

A lot of the time based speed limit signs have 'school days' written on them. These really annoy me as how do you know when school is in? Private/public schools have different terms and there are lots of other exceptions. Good luck getting the software to determine what counts as a school day without just assuming it means week days.

Tesla in Australia?

A lot of the time based speed limit signs have 'school days' written on them. These really annoy me as how do you know when school is in? Private/public schools have different terms and there are lots of other exceptions. Good luck getting the software to determine what counts as a school day without just assuming it means week days.

It can be done, that's why it took the Speed Cameras to implement enforcement of this function to take effect just this year in the Dandenong Road strip even though it's been there since they were installed. They're using the standard dates published by that specific schools around that area. So @heosat is so certainly correct spot on in reference to localising such functions.

That's how they did it. That's how the algorithms should be as well with the autopilot. A lot of engineering work needed for it but can be done.…

And the Israeli hardware is certainly up to the task for it.

Looks almost ready to open!!

Swung by the service centre today, Sunday. there were cleaners on site cleaning the windows. While I was there a tradesperson with a ute turned up. There is now major signage up, the Herbert street side carpark is painted out with parking spaces including a disabled spot, but NO green painted electric vehicle spots!!! Opening times for the showroom and service centre are up on a board!. Reception desk in place, bar stools stacked up ready for deployment. The place generally looks like they are about to move in!!! The undercover parking area below has red and white painted columns but does not appear to be enclosed as a workshop. Maybe closer inspection will show something different.
All in all, i think the showroom/test drives will be on site within a week, two absolutely tops. I was going to post photos, but i took these with my good camera, and each is 8 megs and the system won't upload them!! So, Sales hours are 9-6 Mon to Saturday closed Sunday. Service hours are 8-6 Mon to Sat closed Sunday. Pity, i had photos of all this and am unable to compress!!:smile::biggrin::biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0806.jpeg
IMG_0805.jpeg
[ TTACH=CONFIG]63240[/ATTACH]
IMG_0804.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 402