Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys one things for those who have just got their cars: you need to actually TURN ON the walk away lock function. I was so used to walking away from the loaner car and it locking that I was shocked to see someone open my door from across the street when they were checking it out!!!! Needless to say panic ensued followed by a quick sprint back to the car :D

One of the reasons I haven't turned on walk away locking and manually lock it is I am worried I would grow too used to it. I don't want to forget to lock our other car or a rental car when I drive those!

Reminder for all Victorians:

Custom Cars and Coffee, Sunday 1 February, 9:00-12:00, Sandown Racecourse, 591-659 Princes Highway, Springvale, Victoria, Australia 3171

I will be there on behalf of Dan (not sure where they will put me - choice of Muscle, Exotics, or Mixed...). Jeff and several others will also be there.

This will be our first chance to catch up - and there has been a number of Teslas delivered in the last two weeks.

Cheers
Higgy

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.facebook.com/events/1577837839116616/?source=1

That's great news. We (the original 4 or 5 Perth orders) were given the choice - wait for our cars until a service centre is in Perth, or take the risk and transport the car at our own cost to Melbourne or Sydney for any warranty or service work.
I figured they would sort something out by the time our first annual services were due (in 2016) - we speculated they would send someone over to do all cars at the same time.

I'd like to think that the fact we all pushed ahead and ordered anyway led them to adjust their policy :biggrin:

Hi MDK,

I'm surprised that they haven't updated you guys if this is a change of policy. I hope I was given the correct information, the guy did have to go back and check with someone else as he didn't know himself.

Nice moment, I hope the snow has improved! I was in Chamonix a fortnight ago and well, it was 8° at 2000m. Not pretty. (It was still pretty).

Had 7 blue sky days in Meribel 0 to -10c - snow arrived few days before we got there else wouldn't have been worth going!

Same conditions in Wengen + a 20-30cm dump yesterday has made for some fun conditions all round!

Still got 10 days left & more powder on the way! :cool:

Hi all,
I have only just logged into this site and had a look around. I took delivery of my Model S yesterday.
I had a 2 year, 7 month wait and was reservation number 32. I could have got it very late December but was going away and didn't want it sitting at home making me wish the holiday away. I believe that I am the 3rd person to get there car registered here, behind Simon Hackett. I was also told there are 5 more waiting delivery here, one of those going to mototr rego check today and another tomorrow.
I had wondered if there was a club or group established for Tesla owners as I couldn't imagine there being too many cars in Adelaide.
Cheers,
Chris

Drove from the service centre after supercharging this morning into George street. Was amazed to see that i got 168 wh/km. My lowest ever!! OTOH, it was crawling much of the way and it just proves that these awesome beasts can be super tame!! Even with aircon running. 2 cars were up for delivery first thing. There were about 5 cars down below awaiting delivery. Since it was 9 am, i couldn't do a closer snoop.
I find myself undertaking manoeuvres that i would not have dreamed of in my previous cars, mainly due to the instant power and acceleration. (Lots of people being left in my electron haze). So, Leopard and pussycat rolled into one. Zero buyers remorse over the plain vanilla 85. Would have absolutely no use for a P85D, other than to completely p** other drivers off!!!

Hi all,
I have only just logged into this site and had a look around. I took delivery of my Model S yesterday.
I had a 2 year, 7 month wait and was reservation number 32. I could have got it very late December but was going away and didn't want it sitting at home making me wish the holiday away. I believe that I am the 3rd person to get there car registered here, behind Simon Hackett. I was also told there are 5 more waiting delivery here, one of those going to mototr rego check today and another tomorrow.
I had wondered if there was a club or group established for Tesla owners as I couldn't imagine there being too many cars in Adelaide.
Cheers,
Chris

Hi squidoz and welcome to the family!

I am sure you will love the car and look forward to hearing about your experiences and any queries you may have.

What is the specification of your car standard or performance? 60 or 85 kWh battery? colour?

Also did your car come with version 6.1 of the software? (you can check the version by pressing on the Tesla "T" at the top of the touchscreen.

If you check out the thread called "List of confirmed Australian Orders" there is a google docs spreadsheet on the first post that lists everyone on here who has allowed their details to be added. One of the fields is which state they are in so might give you an idea of who is around in Adelaide. You could always send them a private message to see if they want to meet up?

Drove from the service centre after supercharging this morning into George street. Was amazed to see that i got 168 wh/km. My lowest ever!! OTOH, it was crawling much of the way and it just proves that these awesome beasts can be super tame!! Even with aircon running. 2 cars were up for delivery first thing. There were about 5 cars down below awaiting delivery. Since it was 9 am, i couldn't do a closer snoop.
I find myself undertaking manoeuvres that i would not have dreamed of in my previous cars, mainly due to the instant power and acceleration. (Lots of people being left in my electron haze). So, Leopard and pussycat rolled into one. Zero buyers remorse over the plain vanilla 85. Would have absolutely no use for a P85D, other than to completely p** other drivers off!!!

Interesting. Today I too managed some extraordinarily low power usage - I drove 147km, including a demonstration drive and managed 190wh/km. I wasn't driving for economy - in fact probably a bit more aggressively than usual as I needed to get to a meeting on time and then dropped into my Porsche mechanic to show him the S. All were very impressed with the acceleration plus the fit & finish. At one stage there were about 8-10 mechanics from a few service centres looking at the car.

What I did notice was the absolute contrast to the power usage yesterday driving about 100km in the rain and traffic. About 220wh/km, maybe slightly higher. It appears that rainy weather does make quite a dent in the efficiency. Sitting stationary with headlights, air-co and wipers running wouldn't help either.

Something that I wish the Tesla had though was a quick setting for the climate control for 'fan only' no heat or cooling, just circulate fresh air. This is my default setting in an ICE. Air-co off, heat on cold and the fan on low. With the S, anything above ambient as a temp setting and it starts heating the air.

Thanks TesAus,
85 kWh Battery, Pearl White Paint, Body Color Roof, 19" Wheels, Black Nappa Leather Seats, Piano Black Décor, Tech Package, Parking Sensors, Version 6.0 software
Just added my details to that thread as well.

I was curious how many model S are in Australia, and also in Adelaide. Tesla are keeping that secret when I asked them. I like the idea of having a very select car, and also that of greater number transitioning from the ICE.
I only knew of the first 2 cars to Simon Hackett here in Adelaide, and then the 6 that came (mine included) on the 27th January.

Not too many questions about car, I am only unsure about parking capabilities. Can it park itself (especially parallel parking) with the new tech package. Do I need updated version 6.1 for that?
I haven't seen anything obvious on the screen, plus I would be worried to let it go itself if it saw the feature having never used such a feature before!

No self parking yet even with 6.1. But WATCH THE KERBS AND YOUR WHEELS,! I managed to damage 3 wheels on the loan car I was originally allocated. Since then, with my own car all has been good as I had the time to practice. Nevertheless I have fitted Alloygators to my car. Hopefully they will never be needed.

No self parking yet even with 6.1. But WATCH THE KERBS AND YOUR WHEELS,! I managed to damage 3 wheels on the loan car I was originally allocated. Since then, with my own car all has been good as I had the time to practice. Nevertheless I have fitted Alloygators to my car. Hopefully they will never be needed.

Texas Tesla store employee told me additional features will be made operational soon....

Hi all,
Cheers,
Chris

Hiya Squidoz!!!

I'm in the same boat as you! Sparky's @ the Prixcar depot under lock&key till I get back from ski holiday in Switzerland.

Tesla won't even let a m8 in to take some photos for me.

Catch up soon after I take delivery!

Not quite sure where to start on this idiotic article:

Why Australians aren't buying electric cars - yet: Car News | CarsGuide

For starters:
1) It alleges that most green power tariffs just involve planting trees - I know mine with origin energy requires them to source an equivalent amount of energy from government certified renewable energy sources, not offset the CO2;
2) It ignores that many EV buyers will have solar PV systems that provide at least some of the energy to fill the batteries and hence would knock 20%?, 50%? off the CO2 footprint of the car even if they otherwise charge off grid power;
3) CO2 is not the only pollutant - what about PM10 particles from diesel causing increasing respiratory disease;
4) it fails to mention that the Model S and i3 had only been available in the last few days of 2014 so you can hardly criticise their annual sales;
5) the other EVs mentioned have generally been out for a few years so are a "tired" product in the market place;
6) public charging locations are not so critical when you have a "safe" available range as with model s
7) no "value comparison" of the model s against an equivalent E-Class, 5 series etc because that wouldn't support his doom and gloom view....

It has some valid points about incentives, but that is about it that I can see.

Unfortunately I can't see any means to leave comments on the article.....

I read that article in todays Herald Sun, what a what a waste of time that was, I knew it wasn't going to be a positive read
judging by the title "buyers pulling the plug" but then I've been waiting for months
for CarsGuide to even mention Tesla, they must be anti EV. I was curious by what he meant by this line "the BMW i3 is the best
of the EV breed (ignoring the $100,000 Tesla) but at $63,000 it's an expensive city car" Why ignore the Tesla?

I'm still in shock about Wheels magazine giving the i3 the 2014 Car of the Year! WHY Wheels?

Hi guys one things for those who have just got their cars: you need to actually TURN ON the walk away lock function. I was so used to walking away from the loaner car and it locking that I was shocked to see someone open my door from across the street when they were checking it out!!!! Needless to say panic ensued followed by a quick sprint back to the car :D

Hey Timpoo,
Meant to ask now that you have your car, did you manage to get the side table in the froot or did you loose the bet and we are about to see a YouTube video of an australian model S driver dancing naked through the sun roof?