Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're looking at 40-50K for a decent amount of panels and LifePo battery set-up. I have 15kW array and in summer it does 100kWh and in winter more like 50kWh and a rainy day like today 30kWh

Hi Sprocketz I'm really sorry for my ignorance, so are you saying that you would pay 40-50k for both solar panels and battery storage, fully installed etc?

And you say that you have a 15kw array, does that refer to the solar panels or the battery storage? If it does 100kwh in Summer, does that mean your batteries can store 100kwh, or if you're using it during the day it can output 100kwh? From what I've seen most batteries can only store like 3kwh or something...

Also sorry for going off topic here but I'm interested in doing something like this in conjunction with setting home charging for Model S!

I think he was saying he has 15kW of panels installed which can see a max daily yield of 100kWh under the right circumstances. I don't think he has batteries, he is just yelling you that it is very expensive.

I am watching this closely as well for my home, where I also have the 60c/kWh GFIT. It's still a way from being economically viable to install a battery backup system, purely from a payback point of view. The feeling of being grid independent would be pretty sweet, I'd still try to wait a few years though.

Ok the way it works is I have 15kW system that exports to the grid at 52c /kWh. This system is a NET FIT so it doesn't make sense to charge an EV from this system as I'd be losing out on the credits and paying 52c/kWh to charge a Tesla battery . What I can do is add an additional array and battery storage totally seperate from the grid connect system. This wouldn't export but power the home and store the excess energy for later use.

Basically a large solar powered UPS. Once the batteries are charged the excess energy can then be sent to a dump load like a Tesla. These battery systems are designed to recharge from the grid using off peal power once they reach 70% DOD or 30% left in the tank.

There will be a lot of systems coming onto the market and a good one out there now manufactured in Brisbane using HI Power LifePo batteries and Schneider Inverter charged. They're called a Hybrid system.

The 40-50K gives you about a 12kW solar array and a battery system in a cabinet 1400mm wide 2100mm heigh and 400mm deep. This system will easily fit in my garage. This system has 32kWh of available storage so not quite enough to fill a Tesla but remember this 32kWh is storage the excess PV generation will only go to waste unless it has somewhere to go like a Tesla . And then you have the grid to fall back on using off peak energy at 18c/kWh + GST.

I hope that helps clear things up.

This system has 32kWh of available storage so not quite enough to fill a Tesla but remember this 32kWh is storage the excess PV generation will only go to waste unless it has somewhere to go like a Tesla . And then you have the grid to fall back on using off peak energy at 18c/kWh + GST.

Spot on! 85kWh is a monumental amount of energy and we shouldn't really expect to be able to fully a charge a Tesla every night from home PV alone, but at the same time, the amount of times the normal commuter would need to do that would be few and far between. Buying electricity or supercharging on those rare occasions shouldn't be a big concern.

I agree the battery storage systems are going to be a huge market. I'm going to research this Brisbane product you mentioned in a minute. Another one to keep an eye on. Thanks :)

Have you got a reservation? Just wondering how many reservations there are for sunshine coast. We have two public charging stations for EV if you are not aware (Kawana and Forest Glen). I'm a signature reservation holder.

No reservation just waiting to see final pricing and I'm also considering a Mitsubishi PHEV after a 24 hr test drive the other week. While not in the same league as a Tesla it maybe a better option with limited charging infrastructure in rural areas. Currently I have a Lexus Hybrid.

I did drive by the charging station at Kawana and check it out. it may get very busy with the number of PHEV SUV's being sold on the coast recently . Unfortunately only one charge point and a 15amp power point and someone in a Hyundai was parked in the spot the other week when I was there to check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Sprocketz I'm really sorry for my ignorance, so are you saying that you would pay 40-50k for both solar panels and battery storage, fully installed etc?

And you say that you have a 15kw array, does that refer to the solar panels or the battery storage? If it does 100kwh in Summer, does that mean your batteries can store 100kwh, or if you're using it during the day it can output 100kwh? From what I've seen most batteries can only store like 3kwh or something...

Also sorry for going off topic here but I'm interested in doing something like this in conjunction with setting home charging for Model S!

This is my system logging generation and power usage also a couple of pics. The extra panels would go on the eastern roof and would be 280w panels

http://www.pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=10026&sid=8175

I am trying to remember how the film Groundhog Day ends?

Every day we wake up and excitedly check the Tesla website and forums for pricing news then go about our days. Then the next day we wake up and excitedly check the Tesla website and forums....
+1.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok the way it works is I have 15kW system that exports to the grid at 52c /kWh. This system is a NET FIT so it doesn't make sense to charge an EV from this system as I'd be losing out on the credits and paying 52c/kWh to charge a Tesla battery . What I can do is add an additional array and battery storage totally seperate from the grid connect system. This wouldn't export but power the home and store the excess energy for later use.

Basically a large solar powered UPS. Once the batteries are charged the excess energy can then be sent to a dump load like a Tesla. These battery systems are designed to recharge from the grid using off peal power once they reach 70% DOD or 30% left in the tank.

There will be a lot of systems coming onto the market and a good one out there now manufactured in Brisbane using HI Power LifePo batteries and Schneider Inverter charged. They're called a Hybrid system.

The 40-50K gives you about a 12kW solar array and a battery system in a cabinet 1400mm wide 2100mm heigh and 400mm deep. This system will easily fit in my garage. This system has 32kWh of available storage so not quite enough to fill a Tesla but remember this 32kWh is storage the excess PV generation will only go to waste unless it has somewhere to go like a Tesla . And then you have the grid to fall back on using off peak energy at 18c/kWh + GST.

hi. Can you post a link to the Brisbane manufactured system website?